Mychal Givens 2023

Going Underground

At first I thought that comment about Kremer and Zimm was crazy. But the more I start to think about the argument presented, the more I'm beginning to open up to it as a surprise possibility. I still don't think it will happen with how good Kremer came along pitching in the Major League level in 2022, but the Orioles Fron Office have proven this year that they are full of surprises and sudden roster moves. (I go from a 0% chance of it happening to a 20% chance.) 

I wonder when we will see Givens in an Orioles uniform on the mound in a game for the 1st time this season.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I know when Tate went on assignment he said he thought it would take 2 weeks and he’d want to go back-to-back days before returning to the Orioles.  I’m not sure if that’s just a Tate thing, or more of a protocol for what the O’s want in a reliever rehab.  

Givens was at least throwing in ST though. Tate presumably hasn’t thrown since November when the strain was diagnosed. I don’t think Givens up by the weekend is that crazy. The main reason it might not happen is if they aren’t sure yet who to send down. 

https://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player/mychal-givens-10996

Set for fourth rehab outing

May 8, 2023

Givens (knee) is scheduled to make his fourth minor-league rehab appearance Wednesday with Double-A Bowie, Andy Kostka of TheBaltimoreBanner.com reports.

ANALYSIS
Givens has tossed three scoreless innings thus far for Bowie, allowing no hits and one walk while striking out five. Though he certainly looks ready to return from the 15-day injured list from a results standpoint, Givens noted that he needs a little more time to regain strength in his left knee. If all goes well Wednesday, Givens could be activated ahead of the Orioles' three-game series versus Pittsburgh this weekend.

Just now, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Why would you think Baker? He's given up some hits recently but still has a 1.77 ERA.  I think Voth is more likely than him.  

I think Voth plays a pretty decent role as a guy that can give you a couple of innings.    Not sure we'd want to take him out of that role unless they feel GRod needs to go back to Norfolk for a bit and he moves to the rotation.

4 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Why would you think Baker? He's given up some hits recently but still has a 1.77 ERA.  I think Voth is more likely than him.  

Just naming anyone with options, basically. Highly doubt it would be Baker. 

Baumann gone. It'd be really nice if Givens could be the 3rd guy after Bautista and Cano. They've lost two games in the last 10 where Cano & Bautista couldn't bail out the pen (Sat May 6 vs Braves). If they had a 3rd guy they'd have won today and against the Braves.

Nice, 6 pitch inning for Givens yesterday.  At first I was upset when I realized Hyde wasn’t sending him out for the 8th after such a short inning, and was instead going to push Cano to two innings yet again in the first game of the series.  But when I realized Judge was going to be the second batter of the inning, I saw the logic of using Cano there.   Hopefully Givens is available today, since Cano surely isn’t.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He was a ground ball machine and sat mid 90s. Givens has been gutsy. He just ate the other Mychal Givens. 🍔🌭🌮🌯🍕

It's kind of funny, but he can't torque his body as much as he used to and it's primarily because he's way fatter than he used to be.  His velo is way down from where it was his previous stint as well.

I know he had an "easy" inning the other night, but I actually am not encouraged by what I've seen, and that includes his "easy" inning.