I am officially in the McKenna got to go camp

banks703

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As a back up player, you can’t do these things. I agree. But it happens, to everyone.

He doesn’t have a history of this. He doesn’t have a history of being a bad fielder. 

It’s a flukish thing that has happened and he will be fine.

Him dropping that ball is like Cust falling down. It’s all anyone wants to talk about/remember.

At what point do you start thinking its no longer SSS and the guy doesn't have it anymore?

I agree with you with all of the knee jerk reactioning that is going on around here. Folks need to R-E-L-A-X and see how things go. At some point though, you have to start thinking that what we're seeing is the norm and not necessarily SSS if it continues.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If we cut players because of mental lapses, the whole OF would be gone.

McKenna is fine for your 4th or more likely 5th OFer.  Good defense, has some speed, has a history that he can hit lefties well.  Was worth 1.3 WAR last year iirc.

You guys take a few negatives and blow them up into way more than they are. 

I am agnostic on McKenna, but it's not just the two mistakes, it's the mistakes on top of his marginal talent. I know you don't like bbref but as another data point they have him with 0.0 career WAR. Where do you get 1.3 though? Fangraphs had him 0.8 which is pretty good when you consider that was in such few AB's.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol. I guess I should say a history that matters.

Your best friend had one last night and misplayed numerous balls this year and cost the team runs. 

This happens over the course of a season and career. It’s not worth crying  over.

He will correct it and if not, he will get sent down but no reason to do it now and no reason to act like it’s the end of the world.

My best friend has a 1000 OPS.  

If DJ Stewart had a 1000 OPS people would tolerate him falling down in the outfield.

McKenna gets no such grace because he's here to play defense.  If he can't hit- and he can't- and he can't defend- which he apparently doesn't take very seriously- he's of no use.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

At what point do you start thinking its no longer SSS and the guy doesn't have it anymore?

I agree with you with all of the knee jerk reactioning that is going on around here. Folks need to R-E-L-A-X and see how things go. At some point though, you have to start thinking that what we're seeing is the norm and not necessarily SSS if it continues.

Doesn’t have it anymore?  Seriously?

That isn’t even remotely a thought right now.

I can’t believe I’m actually the one defending this guy, considering I felt Os prospect lists completely overrated him for years.

But he serves the purpose. Now, I agree that he can’t do these things but I’m not close to the point of wonder if he has “lost it”.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

My best friend has a 1000 OPS.  

If DJ Stewart had a 1000 OPS people would tolerate him falling down in the outfield.

McKenna gets no such grace because he's here to play defense.  If he can't hit- and he can't- and he can't defend- which he apparently doesn't take very seriously- he's of no use.

Yea, his career of being an above average defender clearly means he doesn’t take it seriously. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Doesn’t have it anymore?  Seriously?

That isn’t even remotely a thought right now.

I can’t believe I’m actually the one defending this guy, considering I felt Os prospect lists completely overrated him for years.

But he serves the purpose. Now, I agree that he can’t do these things but I’m not close to the point of wonder if he has “lost it”.

Stop being condescending all of the time, homie.

At what point do you start thinking he needs to go? How much more does it take for you? I'm curious.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Go watch that play in CF last night, and I defy you to tell me he took that seriously.

He probably didnt. And?  Again, it happens. Hays has done it several times this year. Mullins and Santander as well. They are all doing it and only Hays is hitting, although most of his hitting has been in 2 games.

I’m not going to vilify the guy over a lackadaisical play. You want to, go ahead.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He probably didnt. And?  Again, it happens. Hays has done it several times this year. Mullins and Santander as well. They are all doing it and only Hays is hitting, although most of his hitting has been in 2 games.

I’m not going to vilify the guy over a lackadaisical play. You want to, go ahead.

It's a pattern.  It's not one play.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Stop being condescending all of the time, homie.

At what point do you start thinking he needs to go? How much more does it take for you? I'm curious.

I don’t really have a time frame in mind because I think this is a dumb discussion to even have.

But sure, if he is consistently doing this over a larger sampling of games, he needs to be sent down. Crying about it right now is dumb imo.

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am agnostic on McKenna, but it's not just the two mistakes, it's the mistakes on top of his marginal talent. I know you don't like bbref but as another data point they have him with 0.0 career WAR. Where do you get 1.3 though? Fangraphs had him 0.8 which is pretty good when you consider that was in such few AB's.  

My bad..as I said, iirc..apparently I didn’t.

Still, that’s a solid WAR for the games he played.

He’s fine. Not saying he’s not replaceable. Several guys on the team are replaceable but no reason to jump off a bridge over it at this point either.

McKenna is the easy target right now. I'm guilty of slamming him as well, but the reality is whether he stays or not the front office should be looking to make upgrades whenever possible to the roster.

I feel like they haven't taken advantage of setting up the roster in the off season, either with inhouse guys or outside. A team will always be reliant on the "core" players, it's what the management does with the marginal players that can help push a team from .500 to a potential playoff team.

This current roster has several square pegs in round holes type of situations. 

• Upvote 1

I think Elias wanted to bring in competition for McKenna and that’s why we picked up Jake Cave last fall. However, Cave is LH so he’s not the best fit. Well that and he’s now on the Phillies. 

We’re getting to the point where we are going to have a young starting 9. So it’s extra tough when your bench players are young too. McKenna is still learning his role, or just maybe not good at it. Same with Vavra. 

We have a lot of guys learning at the MLB level.