Bryan Reynolds signs extension

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m pretty tired of the joke, every time a smaller market team signs a player to an extension, that its too bad the O’s can’t match the mighty [insert name of signing team here].  

Angelos has not said the O’s couldn’t or wouldn’t do extensions.  He’s just said they have to do them “within the system we’re in.”  To my mind, that means we probably won’t see extensions at the super-high end of things.  Could they do an extension like this one, or like Tampa has done with Franco, or like Cleveland has done with Ramirez?   It’s obvious that they can.  Whether they’ll choose to do any, and whether the players want to do them, is a separate question.  

You're right, he did say those things.

He also promised to "open up the books" to the members of the media.  

I wouldn't really put too much stock into what Angelos says when it comes to spending money.  Or anything, really.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The joke is the Os ownership. They are the reason the joke is said, they are the reason the joke is true and until they change that narrative, the joke will continue…and rightfully so.

Correct.

I wouldn't really comp the Reynolds re-up to anything Mullins related.  While I like Mullins, I think it'll probably be okay to let him walk at the end of his deal here.  

It's more an indictment on not extending someone like Adley, Gunnar, G-Rod, etc.  

BAL is going to sign some of its strong players to bigger contracts at some point.

If you just copy pasted these terms for Mullins, on the scale of Does this feel like signing Chris Davis, or does this feel like signing Manny Machado, for me it'd be more of the first one.

I haven't hunted terms but assume it is valuing FA seasons around $20mm.    In the Best Case scenario I know the four guys I want on the 2030 roster like that.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Correct.

I wouldn't really comp the Reynolds re-up to anything Mullins related.  While I like Mullins, I think it'll probably be okay to let him walk at the end of his deal here.  

It's more an indictment on not extending someone like Adley, Gunnar, G-Rod, etc.  

Well, the extension does help set the market but it also means he’s the BPA at CF if they decide to shop him.

The implications are all over the place.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The joke is the Os ownership. They are the reason the joke is said, they are the reason the joke is true and until they change that narrative, the joke will continue…and rightfully so.

It’s just very unoriginal at this point.  The sentiment is fine.

Truth is, the successful small market teams frequently sign extensions with players pretty early in their careers.  When they work out, they’re much cheaper than signing free agents or signing players to extensions when they’re already only 1-2 years away from free agency.  So yes, I’d love to see the O’s do some of these, so long as the terms are intelligent.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m pretty tired of the joke, every time a smaller market team signs a player to an extension, that its too bad the O’s can’t match the mighty [insert name of signing team here].  

Angelos has not said the O’s couldn’t or wouldn’t do extensions.  He’s just said they have to do them “within the system we’re in.”  To my mind, that means we probably won’t see extensions at the super-high end of things.  Could they do an extension like this one, or like Tampa has done with Franco, or like Cleveland has done with Ramirez?   It’s obvious that they can.  Whether they’ll choose to do any, and whether the players want to do them, is a separate question.  

He says they’re gonna do a lot of things (sign a lease, open up the books), but doesn’t follow through on any of them. He could say we’re gonna sign Adley or Gunnar or Grayson, but nobody would believe him. Until they show the slightest interest in extending any of the young stars they ranked so long to obtain, I’m pretty sure these poor jokes will stick around. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s in no way a joke for me. It’s a very legitimate concern and the current ownership has no equity with me. I think it’s absolutely warranted to be wary of them. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not concerned with extensions soley but I am curious as to what the plan is with players like Mullins, Rutschman, and Henderson.   Is the ultimate plan to trade them before they get to their last year of FA, extend them, or let them walk after they've become FA's.      Also, how will a burgeoning Latin American program make up for not having the top 5 picks anymore and will the pipeline continue at it's current pace.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, the extension does help set the market but it also means he’s the BPA at CF if they decide to shop him.

The implications are all over the place.

I agree with that if we do any @btdart20official dealing off the top of the deck before Mullins period of club control runs out, but I like having an All-Star CF while trying to be one of the league's six best teams.

Across 2020-2023, fWAR sees Mullins about 15% better than Reynolds among CF, driven by Defense and Baserunning.    That squares with my general impression Mullins is a genuine up the middle player, while I expect 30-something Reynolds in CF would be ha-ha.    Spot checking 2023 Pirates, I see they've moved him to a corner already.

Reynolds is a few months younger.

CF 2020-2023:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2020&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

Reynolds has a much better track record than Mullins and his value isn't as dependent on speed. We have Mullins for 3 more years after this one, at which point he'll be 31. I don't think I'd want to try to extend him more than a year or two after that. Seems unlikely he'd be worth the money it would take

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I can understand him signing the long term contract. Green Lantern was a flop and Green Latern 2 was shelved..Even  another Deadpool could be risky and this gives him long term security. 

Oh, I thought this was about getting Cripple Black Phoenix as part of the concert series.

• Upvote 1