Royals series

Going Underground

1 hour ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

Yeah, there's a reason why I ventured back here. It is almost as bad as the "fans" in Star Wars groups ... ugh, can't people just enjoy things anymore instead of picking it apart? Usually the ones that have the most to say/complain about are the ones who know the least.

I think we pick a lot of stuff apart here but I also think this place is pretty intelligent about doing so.

I'd imagine the Orioles Facebook groups to be like "WE NEED TO GIVE JUDGE 400 MILLION"

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we pick a lot of stuff apart here but I also think this place is pretty intelligent about doing so.

I'd imagine the Orioles Facebook groups to be like "WE NEED TO GIVE JUDGE 400 MILLION"

And they probably listen to Clapton's solo work.

• Haha 1

I was not so much against Gibson, but upset that we didn't get a better starter. If we take the 10 mil, we gave Gibson and the 8 mil we gave Frazier (Not necessary), could we have gotten a better starter? Add into that what we are paying Givens and Irvin and maybe we could have gotten someone better. Not sure who because the market hadn't played out then, but I thought we could. I could be wrong, but that was what I thought at the time. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Going Underground said:

A's and Royals on pace for about 40 wins. See where they are both are after 40 games but could be up there in bad starts. Orioles #1.

Worst MLB Regular Season Records Through 40 games
https://champsorchumps.us/records/worst-mlb-regular-season-records-through-40-games

Man, the 1893-1896 Louisville Colonels show up on the list.   That's 4 awful years in a row.   Guess they were tanking.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I was not so much against Gibson, but upset that we didn't get a better starter. If we take the 10 mil, we gave Gibson and the 8 mil we gave Frazier (Not necessary), could we have gotten a better starter?

If you accept as a general principle Mike Elias is refraining from multi-year commitments to mid-pack at best length pitchers like Lyles and Gibson, and cross-reference with actual contracts obtained by the world's best pitchers last offseason, I think the answer is No.

John Means looms 18 months from now as the Trey Mancini of Arms.     Heaven forbid he's World Series MVP or something.

With the benefit of a month of performance data on the FA SP of 2023, who would you rather have for $1 more than their actual?

deGrom 185, Rodon 162, Verlander 86, Senga 75, Taijuan 72, Taillon 68, Bassitt 63, Eflin 40, Ty. Anderson 39, Eovaldi 34*, Quintana 26, Wacha 26, Martinez 26, Stripling 25, Manaea 25, Heaney 25*, Smyly 19, Lyles 17, Syndergaard 13, Clevinger 12, Kluber 10, Boyd 10, Cueto 8, Greinke 8, Lorenzen 8, R. Hill 8

* are a couple that make me wonder, though I believe both those guys have some Club-unfriendly escalators if they are good, and get at least that guarantee if they are bad.

I do think Frazier vs. the $8-10mm pitchers is fuzzy if Elias chose right, but even the guys near there doing okay, I'm not sure exactly what we'd be doing with them now.

8 hours ago, Going Underground said:

A's and Royals on pace for about 40 wins. See where they are both are after 40 games but could be up there in bad starts. Orioles #1.

Worst MLB Regular Season Records Through 40 games
https://champsorchumps.us/records/worst-mlb-regular-season-records-through-40-games

Remember those articles two years ago about how the Orioles were an embarrassment to MLB?  That team was 14-16 after 30 games.  At no point we’re the O’s playing sub-.300 ball.   So if that was an embarrassment to MLB, what is this?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

If you accept as a general principle Mike Elias is refraining from multi-year commitments to mid-pack at best length pitchers like Lyles and Gibson, and cross-reference with actual contracts obtained by the world's best pitchers last offseason, I think the answer is No.

John Means looms 18 months from now as the Trey Mancini of Arms.     Heaven forbid he's World Series MVP or something.

With the benefit of a month of performance data on the FA SP of 2023, who would you rather have for $1 more than their actual?

deGrom 185, Rodon 162, Verlander 86, Senga 75, Taijuan 72, Taillon 68, Bassitt 63, Eflin 40, Ty. Anderson 39, Eovaldi 34*, Quintana 26, Wacha 26, Martinez 26, Stripling 25, Manaea 25, Heaney 25*, Smyly 19, Lyles 17, Syndergaard 13, Clevinger 12, Kluber 10, Boyd 10, Cueto 8, Greinke 8, Lorenzen 8, R. Hill 8

* are a couple that make me wonder, though I believe both those guys have some Club-unfriendly escalators if they are good, and get at least that guarantee if they are bad.

I do think Frazier vs. the $8-10mm pitchers is fuzzy if Elias chose right, but even the guys near there doing okay, I'm not sure exactly what we'd be doing with them now.

I'd still say Bassitt.  His numbers are skewed from a 9 ER first start.  I think he's the guy the board wanted the most.  Even with him, we'd still have to go out and get an ACE.  

Greinke begins tonight up 3278-3163 on Verlander in career IP.    I have a feeling they could be the last 3000 IP careers if Scherzer misses, as surely as '80 Carlton can rest assured he has the last 300 IP season.

Age 35 Kyle Gibson at 1538 is in the active Top 20.     The only 2000's:

Maybe: Scherzer 2701, Kershaw 2619

Nope: Hamels 2698, Wainwright 2567, Bumgarner 2209, Cueto 2193