Jake Lyons 2023

Frobby

I don’t know that anyone necessarily thinks Jake Lyons is thread-worthy, but he’s done something notable in his last two appearances at Aberdeen so I thought I’d toss it out there.

On May 4, Lyons threw 3 innings and struck out 7.   Yesterday, he tossed 4 innings and struck out 9.   So, that’s 16 K’s in his two outings totalling 7 innings.

He’s actually been pretty good in 5 of his 6 appearances this year, and has a 2.41 ERA to go with his 13.5 K/9.  

He’s a bit long in the tooth for Aberdeen (24) and is repeating the league.   Hopefully he can string together a few more dominant outings and get pushed up to Bowie.  

On 5/11/2023 at 1:12 PM, Frobby said:

I don’t know that anyone necessarily thinks Jake Lyons is thread-worthy, but he’s done something notable in his last two appearances at Aberdeen so I thought I’d toss it out there.

On May 4, Lyons threw 3 innings and struck out 7.   Yesterday, he tossed 4 innings and struck out 9.   So, that’s 16 K’s in his two outings totalling 7 innings.

He’s actually been pretty good in 5 of his 6 appearances this year, and has a 2.41 ERA to go with his 13.5 K/9.  

He’s a bit long in the tooth for Aberdeen (24) and is repeating the league.   Hopefully he can string together a few more dominant outings and get pushed up to Bowie.  

But that won't obviously stop you from making a 2023 thread about him? ;)

Lyons makes David Wells look like he was an Adonis. Not enough fastball to get me excited.

He has a Travis Lakins-type upside. I do know a scout who liked him a couple of years ago, but i just never saw anything that makes me think he's a future big league pitcher in anything other than last man on the 40-man, need an arm to burn through and then DFA kind of guy. 

I watched him and Pham last night and they had good results, but nothing stood out as a major league out pitch.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:23 AM, Tony-OH said:

But that won't obviously stop you from making a 2023 thread about him? ;)

Lyons makes David Wells look like he was an Adonis. Not enough fastball to get me excited.

He has a Travis Lakins-type upside. I do know a scout who liked him a couple of years ago, but i just never saw anything that makes me think he's a future big league pitcher in anything other than last man on the 40-man, need an arm to burn through and then DFA kind of guy. 

I watched him and Pham last night and they had good results, but nothing stood out as a major league out pitch.

I started this to provoke you into responding.  😎  Thanks for the insight. 

• 7 months later...
On 1/12/2024 at 7:48 PM, RZNJ said:

Very nice job on the video by Michael. He does a very good job of interviewing with adding in video clips and pictures. 

Always nice to see young men talking about they're experiences.

Good luck to Lyons on his chapter of his life or catching on with another team. Maybe the Orioles released him now so he had a better chance of catching on somewhere. Better to be released now then after spring training when most teams have rosters set and have their own depth guys.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:59 AM, Tony-OH said:

Very nice job on the video by Michael. He does a very good job of interviewing with adding in video clips and pictures. 

Always nice to see young men talking about they're experiences.

Good luck to Lyons on his chapter of his life or catching on with another team. Maybe the Orioles released him now so he had a better chance of catching on somewhere. Better to be released now then after spring training when most teams have rosters set and have their own depth guys.

I could see him and Teter catching on in Indy ball, if they want to continue playing.