Current stat line won't get us in playoffs

Baltimorecuse

Good thing the playoffs aren’t decided on our 7 day ERA in late May. 

Look, I get it. I’m prone to freaking out, too. But I think we’re all a little on edge because no one expected this start and half of us are paranoid that 2005 is going to happen all over again. 

But practically every team has a cold spell. I don’t think this team is as bad as it’s been over the past week. I also don’t think they’re a team that can win 105 games. 

The truth, as it is with most things in life, is somewhere in the middle. 

• Upvote 3

Step back from the ledge.   The O's are playing at a .625 win rate.  That is 101 wins for a season. 3rd best in all of the MLB.

19 games in 20 days vs some of the best teams in baseball took its toll on the pitching staff.   The O's just played 9 games in a row.  

But there is rest on the way.  The O's have 6 off days in June.  At no time in June do they play more than 6 games in a row.   Irvin is no doubt in the rotation for the next turn.  I don't know how many runs he will give up but he will eat  innings.     Each of the starters will be pitching on 5 to 6 days rest for the next two turns rather than the normal 4.   The pen will have time to recover.

• Upvote 3

Considering they just took 5 of 6 on the road vs divisional opponents, I’m really not worried. We all knew they probably played over their heads in April, May has very surprisingly been more of the same…there’s no need to get panicky after a couple series losses. A 16-12 month where they played a handful of the best teams in baseball is a good month. Zoom out a bit 

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good thing the playoffs aren’t decided on our 7 day ERA in late May. 

Look, I get it. I’m prone to freaking out, too. But I think we’re all a little on edge because no one expected this start and half of us are paranoid that 2005 is going to happen all over again. 

But practically every team has a cold spell. I don’t think this team is as bad as it’s been over the past week. I also don’t think they’re a team that can win 105 games. 

The truth, as it is with most things in life, is somewhere in the middle. 

Well I'm a sensitive soul and people accused me of being some sort of Luddite for criticizing a particular USE of a stat when I didn't think it applied.  

Our record is at nose bleed heights, and our SEASON stats don't  support that record.  Our best season stat is runs scored per game which is 7th overall but is slipping.  It's almost a run per game more than we averaged in 2022.  

2 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Well I'm a sensitive soul and people accused me of being some sort of Luddite for criticizing a particular USE of a stat when I didn't think it applied.  

Our record is at nose bleed heights, and our SEASON stats don't  support that record.  Our best season stat is runs scored per game which is 7th overall but is slipping.  It's almost a run per game more than we averaged in 2022.  

This is not your 2022 Orioles.   Their better.

Did we think we were going to get through an entire season without ever losing two series in a row or having a losing week?   

Here’s how I see things: Wells (3.29 ERA), Gibson (3.89), Bradish (3.89) and Kremer (4.58) are all pitching pretty well right now.  Kremer had a 2.45 ERA in May, Bradish 2.76, Wells 3.71, Gibson 3.86).   So really, it’s just that 5th spot that needs to be solidified.  I believe Cole Irvin is available to be recalled on June 5.   He’s been solid at Norfolk and I think it’s reasonable to expect solid 5th starter performance from him.   

The back end of the bullpen (Bautista and Cano) has been pretty brilliant, but the bridge to them has not been.  We need a couple of guys to step it up there.  

I’m happy with how the offense has performed.   I’m quite worried about a performance dip both offensively and defensively while Mullins is out of action.  But, the team responded well the last two games, putting up 16 runs.  So, I’m hoping we can weather the storm.  

Overall, if you told be we could be 35-21 on June 1, I’d have signed for that in blood.  I’m looking forward to seeing how June goes.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Step back from the ledge.   The O's are playing at a .625 win rate.  That is 101 wins for a season. 3rd best in all of the MLB.

19 games in 20 days vs some of the best teams in baseball took its toll on the pitching staff.   The O's just played 9 games in a row.  

But there is rest on the way.  The O's have 6 off days in June.  At no time in June do they play more than 6 games in a row.   Irvin is no doubt in the rotation for the next turn.  I don't know how many runs he will give up but he will eat  innings.     Each of the starters will be pitching on 5 to 6 days rest for the next two turns rather than the normal 4.   The pen will have time to recover.

From your lips to God's ear, as they say.  

Not to be a downer, but our arguable MVP is on the DL.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see anything picking him up.  Gunnar could do it but he can't hit lefties.  Mountcastle could wake up.  I don't see anyone else who isn't as good as they are going to be.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Did we think we were going to get through an entire season without ever losing two series in a row or having a losing week?   

Here’s how I see things: Wells (3.29 ERA), Gibson (3.89), Bradish (3.89) and Kremer (4.58) are all pitching pretty well right now.  Kremer had a 2.45 ERA in May, Bradish 2.76, Wells 3.71, Gibson 3.86).   So really, it’s just that 5th spot that needs to be solidified.  I believe Cole Irvin is available to be recalled on June 5.   He’s been solid at Norfolk and I think it’s reasonable to expect solid 5th starter performance from him.   

The back end of the bullpen (Bautista and Cano) has been pretty brilliant, but the bridge to them has not been.  We need a couple of guys to step it up there.  

I’m happy with how the offense has performed.   I’m quite worried about a performance dip both offensively and defensively while Mullins is out of action.  But, the team responded well the last two games, putting up 16 runs.  So, I’m hoping we can weather the storm.  

Overall, if you told be we could be 35-21 on June 1, I’d have signed for that in blood.  I’m looking forward to seeing how June goes.  

Wait a minute.   Did I write this post?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Not to be a downer, but our arguable MVP is on the DL.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see anything picking him up.  Gunnar could do it but he can't hit lefties.  Mountcastle could wake up.  I don't see anyone else who isn't as good as they are going to be.  

Mullins went down on Monday.  On Tuesday and Wednesday the O's scored 8 runs each game.   The hold team is stepping up offensively.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

You did say arguably and I'm going to argue a little.   I think given the discussion over the past two days while Cedric has been brilliant Cano has had a larger impact.  With injuries to Givens and Tate, if Cano has not stepped up the Orioles record would likely be markedly different.

30 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I think Mountcastle and Henderson are big keys to how June will go.   They’ve been our two biggest disappointments so far.  But both are capable of exploding.  Adley has been very steady but I have always had a feeling that he has another gear we haven’t seen yet.  Not a ton of extra base hits from him this year.  

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So I have often been accused of being overly optimistic.   And you pride yourself on being realistic.   But now you are saying what I have been saying.   So that probably means I have been realistic all along and you are just catching up.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Mountcastle and Henderson are big keys to how June will go.   They’ve been our two biggest disappointments so far.  But both are capable of exploding.  Adley has been very steady but I have always had a feeling that he has another gear we haven’t seen yet.  Not a ton of extra base hits from him this year.  

I won't argue with any of that.  However, if we don't get our middle relief together I think we are in big trouble.  I think our starting rotation is a strength.