I Love Aaron Hicks!

Mr-splash

BA isn't useless.  Given two players with the same OBP or OPS, I'll usually take the one with the higher batting average.  Walks are not always, or even usually, as good as a hit.  BA is simply one more data point to give insight into performance.  It shouldn't be used alone, but it does have value.

• Upvote 2

In his 10 games as an Oriole, Hicks has arisen from his Bronx grave to go:

10 for 29, with 7 BB, incl. 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 HR, 1 SB, 4 RBI, 8 R

.345 / .472 / .586 / 1.058

SSS, but he leads the team in BB/K and BB%, and is second only to Adam Frazier in low SO%.

SSS, but he looks happy and active in the Oriole dugout as opposed to the morose sulker he had become in the Yankees'.

SSS, but combined with his last 7 games with the Y's, "Hicksie" has gone 16 for 46 in 17 games, with 10 BB, incl. 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 HR, 8 RBI, 12 R. BA/OBP: .348 / .565.

It's too bad that the next series against the Y's are not until the beginning (away) and end (home) of July....

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, interloper said:

This has been a fun and hilarious thing to witness. I was so bummed out when we picked him up and now he's one of my favorite ABs to watch. Baseball! Will it last? No. But I'm having a good time watching it happen. 

I'm glad you've come over to the Smart side (the Elias team). Hicks's stats will certainly decline as the season progresses--but part of what he's been doing was somewhat predictable (for example, he's always been a walk machine, wch fits well with the new O's approach)--at the same that it's the type of good roster luck that happens on resurgent teams, viz. 2012 and 2014.

Even MLB.com can't get used to Hicks' success with the Orioles (so far): batting 6th in today's lineup, Gameday's Preview lists his stats as .188 / 1 HR / 5 RBI--those were his Yankee numbers! With the O's it's .345 / 1 HR / 4 RBI in about half the at-bats; his BA for the season is .235. 

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/blue-jays-vs-orioles/2023/06/13/717787/preview 

On 6/12/2023 at 12:24 PM, interloper said:

This has been a fun and hilarious thing to witness. I was so bummed out when we picked him up and now he's one of my favorite ABs to watch. Baseball! Will it last? No. But I'm having a good time watching it happen. 

"Change of scenery" is something stat nerds like to poo-poo but it's a real thing.