Grayson Rodriguez officially gets the call, Bazardo Optioned

Billy F-Face3

This was probably one of the toughest teams he could face. Great plate discipline.  Grayson needs to throw competitive sliders and curves.  They spit on both of them because they know he can’t throw them consistently enough for strikes.  

Just now, baltfan said:

This was probably one of the toughest teams he could face. Great plate discipline.  Grayson needs to throw competitive sliders and curves.  They spit on both of them because they know he can’t throw them consistently enough for strikes.  

And he'd have been fine if the defense had done its job.

• Upvote 2

He didn't look like a totally new guy yet but he looked more like the April guy who was doing ok with good peripherals than the May guy who unraveled with all those HRs. 

Looking just at strike%, he was at about 65% tonight which is where he was hovering in April. 

In his May starts he was consistently at around 60%. 

The defense was bad tonight. Hicks, Frazier, O’Hearn and Adley did Grayson no favors.

But Grayson looked relatively like the same guy, throwing several uncompetitive pitches. His last pitch of the game was atrocious. Until he can command his pitches better, I don’t really see an effective starter, definitely no someone you want to pencil in with our season on the line. It may not click for him until next year, if then? 

It takes time for young players to figure it out and some still never do. I hope he can do a 180 this year, but nothing tonight that I saw points to that.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The defense was bad tonight. Hicks, Frazier, O’Hearn and Adley did Grayson no favors.

But Grayson looked relatively like the same guy, throwing several uncompetitive pitches. His last pitch of the game was atrocious. Until he can command his pitches better, I don’t really see an effective starter, definitely no someone you want to pencil in with our season on the line. It may not click for him until next year, if then? 

It takes time for young players to figure it out and some still never do. I hope he can do a 180 this year, but nothing tonight that I saw points to that.

He was pitching against the LA Dodgers one of the best offensive team in baseball.  A team that is in first place with 5 starters on the IL.  Grayson pitched just fine.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, accinfo said:

He was pitching against the LA Dodgers one of the best offensive team in baseball.  A team that is in first place with 5 starters on the IL.  Grayson pitched just fine.  

The Dodgers the caliber of team that we will see in the Fall. I’m not saying that he was bad but he definitely wasn’t good either. He allowed a ton of baserunners tonight and he still through a bunch of uncompetitive pitches (like before he was sent down).

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I was at the game.  I thought Grayson pitched okay, not great but good enough.   He threw the fastball and change up well, got a few sliders and curves in there.  The last inning, he looked tired.  

He pitched inning 1 like inning 9 of WS game 7.   Had a feeling he was going to run out of gas.  That said, his stuff was pretty electric.  He missed a few pitches badly, but overall was making pitches he needed to.  If the D makes plays he pitches 6 innings and gives up 1 or 2 runs against a top shelf offense.  I don’t see how anyone could be anything but encouraged by his outing.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

We must have watched two completely different games.