What do we do about Jorge Mateo?

OsFanSinceThe80s

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

If you think Frazier has tapped into something that overrides the years of career production/trajectory that Frazier has behind him, then that's fair. I guess I just don't. Maybe I'm wrong and he senses the moment in his career and realizes his full potential. Hope that happens if he's kept on the roster.

But my stance on Frazier is that I would not want him starting, pinch hitting, or in the field in a playoff game. And I do not want Adam Frazier blocking prospects next year. I don't think he does anything that we can't replace now and exceed later.

What I'm suggesting is probably unrealistic because of the optics of getting rid of him when he has ostensibly done nothing wrong while Mateo is floundering. But as between him and Mateo from the bench, I think Mateo provides more value.

We all know Frazier is flawed, but he's successful in the right pitching matchup and has a clutch quality to him.  I think pinch hitter is exactly what he suited for depending on the pitching matchup.  In the field is where is obviously less than ideal.

Mateo on the other hand seems to be bad at everything now except still occasionally effective against left-handed pitchers.

By the way, not only are his offensive numbers terrible, but I literally can’t stand to watch his at bats.  He’s so frigging impatient, and swings at so many pitches that he has no chance to do anything with.  And at the same time, he mis-times a lot of very hittable pitches.  It’s just painful to watch him.

A few weeks ago I thought @Sports Guyhad lost his mind when he created a thread saying it was time to DFA Mateo. I argued that he had speed and defense and would be a great bench player for a playoff team. I think it is clear that Mateo needs regular playing time or his defense falls off.

So whether or not @Sports Guyhas lost his mind is still up for debate 🤣 but I do think he was correct when he said it was time for Mateo to go. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

He needs to go. Hyde loves him for some reason. He was good for a month this year. The rest of this year he's stunk. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone giving the Orioles anything beyond cash considerations.

Its the same thing as Odor.  They value the veteran.  They probably will keep him on the roster the whole season.  As much as lots of fans disapprove Elias and Hyde like the way he turns the double play.

You have to be careful here. You don't want to mess up the chemistry of this team, which is its greatest asset.

Mateo is going to be blamed for this loss, but you simply can’t win one-run games night in and night out. There’s no such thing in baseball. If you only have just enough offense to be up by one run every night, you are going to lose your share (and blow up your bullpen in the process).  This team needs another bat and another reliever.

When a vet underperforms it's at worst the vet's fault.  It could have been a combination of a lot of things - better give him the benefit of the doubt.  If a rookie underperforms to the exact same degree it's management's fault.  After all, they should have known that a "mere" rookie wouldn't be up for such an important job.

Don't underestimate that dynamic when trying to understand the bizarre love for guys like Odor and now Mateo and Frazier.

Edited by 24fps

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why bother with deception?

Wouldn't necessarily be deception - he was visibly limping after that play - but DL would allow us to avoid and tough decision for now. He could come back in a deep bench role when rosters expand, and then work out a trade or DFA in the offseason. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Meanwhile, Joey Ortiz went 4 for 4 today to raise his OPS in Norfolk to .984.  

He’s hitting .348 and has more extra base hits than Cowser did in less PA. AND, I’ll take his overall defense over Mateo too!    Hyde and Elias seem to stick with players through thick and thin so I’m not expecting Mateo to be gone anytime soon.   It would take some gumption to move Mateo and replace him with Ortiz but it’s looking like the right move to me.

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

With tomorrow's left handed pitcher, I'd rather start Westburg at shortstop with Urias at 3B, and even Frazier at 2B than I would play Mateo with how bad he's slumping in every possible category of baseball right now.

If Hyde has any reason to allow Mateo any more playing time it's when the O's are facing a lefty.  His OPS against lefties for the season is just under .800, and I think his last two hits were doubles off lefties Shane McClanahan and Julio Urias.  I'd be surprised if he's not starting Wednesday.