“Ortiz is going to have a long future as a starting shortstop, and here is the most likely place”

OakOrioles

Would Austin Hays accept a reduced role where he is basically the 4th outfielder who plays 3-5 times a week rotating between all 3 spots but Cowser/Mullins/Santander start with Kjerstad in the wings?    

Talking about 2024.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Santander is closer to FA and will cost more.   In this case, I don’t think it will be the deciding factor.    Wildcard feels differently.

We have a payroll under $50M, money should not be an issue. Keep Santander year to year, give him QO, take draft pick. I'd rather get rid of Hays and Mountcastle to make room for Kjerstad.

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I hope that Mateo is DFA after this season. He’s not the kind of player who should have a place on a championship caliber team.

I disagree; Mateo is made for a role on a championship team, but not as a starter.  Rather a defensive replacement, pinch runner, and pinch hitter vs LHP (currently a 784 OPS) where we will see a lot of lefty/righty chess moves in the post season.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

If Santander weren’t on our team, OH would want to acquire a bat like his at the deadline. If you’re competing for a WS next year, why would you get rid of him?

Because Santander will be in this walk year next year.   The O's have to decide whether to sign for 5/100 or trade him.   They can't let him walk for nothing.    

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Because Santander will be in this walk year next year.   The O's have to decide whether to sign for 5/100 or trade him.   They can't let him walk for nothing.    

If we had an owner who wasn't terrible and actually wanted to win it would be a no brainer to re-sign him, especially with how little money we're spending right now. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Of course they can let him walk away for nothing.  That is a choice.

40 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Santander can rotate between RF/1B/DH next year.  We may still have the O’Hearn/Mountcastle platoon at 1B.   Hayes goes and Cowser takes over LF.   Kjerstad slowly gets worked into the RF mix.   O’s probably look for a veteran OF who can play CF (preferably a SH or RH).   Or maybe they even keep Hays and try to make it all work.   Of the two, Santander is more important to Hays.

You are ignoring the money.    Santander has to sign a long term contract or be traded.   The O's have Kjerstad and Cowser to replace Santander and not pay the big bucks.    Hays and Mullins are only in their 4 year next year.  They both stay and provide stability to the roster.

I thought this thread was about Ortiz.  

Now that the deadline has passed and we didn’t trade Mateo, I’d DFA him and bring up Ortiz.  But I sense that the Orioles are unlikely to do that anytime soon.  So, I think Ortiz just plays in AAA unless someone gets hurt.  

• Upvote 1

I’m def in the keep Santa camp. There are not a lot of switch hitters in baseball really, and his kind of power from both sides has a ton of value in our lineup. Plus he seems like a really great clubhouse guy and person. He’s the kind of player you enjoy rooting for and I think has more overall value than we would recoup in a trade, even as his arb prices rise up. I’d even look to extend him to a reasonable deal. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Aye, that's the rub.

The Orioles do happen to be paying him $7.4 mil in arbitration this season.  If they're willing to pay his arbitration number next season, it's not a terribly big jump to $20 mil per.  It'll be interesting to follow.

Good thing is, next season isn't this season and we get a chance to see the Orioles try to win a championship regardless.

I still lean towards trading Santander but there is a lot to be worked out first.

When he’s hot, he can carry the offense but when he’s cold, he doesn’t bring a ton to the team overall.

There are plenty of scenarios where I can see keeping him but the most likely best option is to trade him.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Now that the deadline has passed and we didn’t trade Mateo, I’d DFA him and bring up Ortiz.  But I sense that the Orioles are unlikely to do that anytime soon.  So, I think Ortiz just plays in AAA unless someone gets hurt.  

No September call up?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yep, I agree but I really think the mindset of the team is on the postseason roster and I think they want Mateo’s speed for that.