The Orioles will not win the 2023 WS, and may not make the playoffs...and that is Ok

OnlyOneOriole

25 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

For sure.  That is why I believe next year we will win it all.  Those guys plus a few others called up plus any new additions from outside the org should give us a really young, exciting, winning team.

If being in first place in mid August, leading the majors in one run and wins from behind, doesn’t fit your definition of “young, exciting winning team” , then you probably won’t like 2024 either.   If your only criteria is utter complete domination of all other teams, well pretty unlikely we will ever see the 1969-1971 Os again lol 

• Thanks 1

I’m not even going to bother reading this thread because the title of it is irritating enough. We lose one game on the road against a team winning their 8th straight, with their ace on the mound, and suddenly we go from 1st in the leagues toughest division to ‘May not make the playoffs’. It’s just absurd. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I have said throughout this year that anything the O's do this year is just a bonus.  Next year is the year I expect them to be very good.

I think their success this year has kind of led us fans into a fantasy that is not based in reality.

If you really look at their lineup, from starting pitching to relief to the lineup 1 through 9?  It is good, but not elite.

We don't have even one dominant ACE, let alone 2 like some teams.  Our relief pitching outside of Felix?  Very VERY average.

Our hitters?  Lots of good hitters who can get hot.  Some no names having career years.  And lots of first and second year players who get hot....and then  get not hot.  Which is what you expect out of first and 2nd year players.

When they play teams like LA or Atlanta or Houston?  Honestly I expect them to lose 2 out of 3.  Just what it is. 

So to expect them to win 3 series in the playoffs against those same type of teams this year?  I think that is asking a lot.

I would be very happy to win the division this year or even a WC.  I don't expect them to win a playoff series.  And as I said that is ok.

Next year? I expect a lot.

If you think we are not going to make the playoffs, then you think the O's are going to have the worst collapse in history!!!!

We don't have to lead in statistics, we have timely and clutch hitting and pitching. We have smart managerial maneuvers.  That's why will make the playoffs.

I don't see next season's team being too much better than this one.  I am assuming no significant free agent signings which has been the norm under Elias.  With that said, this year's squad is squarely in the  mix of teams that can will it all.   Odds are they won't, but I am looking forward to the playoffs.  

41 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

I don't see next season's team being too much better than this one.  I am assuming no significant free agent signings which has been the norm under Elias.  With that said, this year's squad is squarely in the  mix of teams that can will it all.   Odds are they won't, but I am looking forward to the playoffs.  

So you think there will be zero improvement from the likes of Grayson, Adley, Gunnar, Colton, Jordan?  That there will be no callups from the minors that will be better than who they replace?  This team does not need much in the FA market to improve. And they could easily be a better team next year but have a worse record, because this years team is setting a pretty high bar so far on that front. 

4 hours ago, dystopia said:

They might use Gibson for long relief.

3 hours ago, O's84 said:

I meant to say out of the rotation.

9 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

Not a chance in the world that Gibson wouldn't be on the playoff roster.

As I mentioned, I meant out of the rotation, not the playoffs roster.

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

So you think there will be zero improvement from the likes of Grayson, Adley, Gunnar, Colton, Jordan?  That there will be no callups from the minors that will be better than who they replace?  This team does not need much in the FA market to improve. And they could easily be a better team next year but have a worse record, because this years team is setting a pretty high bar so far on that front. 

Some guys will improve.  Some will revert to career means.  A new crop of rookies will half look good/half get shuttled back and forth from Norfolk.   Overall  I expect their talent to steadily increase, but your last sentence says it all.