Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I am really not interested in the opinions of doctors who have not examined Bautista and have no idea about the extent of his injury, and I’m even less interested in the opinions of posters.  The Orioles and their professional training staff, I’m sure in consultation with doctors who actually have examined Bautista and who specialize in this for a living, have cleared him to do a little throwing off flat ground.  We don’t know what they think or what the plan is, but I’m sure the plan is not to do something that significantly risks making  Bautista’s injury worse, or materially delaying his rehab time if surgery is needed.  So we’ll see what happens.  I, for one, do not expect to see Bautista in a game again this year.

Well as I said it is not that unusual for a person who has had a partial UCL tear to be able to soft toss a ball a few weeks after the initial injury.   I mean I lifted weights and worked out heavily a few days after I hurt mine.  No way I could have throw overhand though.   And soft tossing is way different than throwing a major league fastball. 

It is  a long LONG way from throwing  a ball 100 MPH.  As in not even the same universe.

I have had many injuries in my sports life, including the bone chip in my elbow that I posted a pic of earlier and the UCL tear.  And there is nothing in my life that compares to the absolute sheer pain from a torn UCL.

It feels like 10000000 needles sticking into your elbow.    The elbow is just a very sensitive area of the body.  

IF, and again I say if, he actually has a torn UCL?  There is no way IMO he can throw a baseball this year full speed.  That is a ligament that really doesn't heal on it's own.  Most ligaments don't. 

As soon as he throws a ball even 70 mph he is going to grab his elbow and as Gordon Ramsey would say "shut it down". 

I am sure the O's are just saying "Hey, he is going to need surgery anyway, so if there is a 1 in a million chance that he can recover from this for the playoffs?  Let's take that one in a million chance.

I can almost guarantee you if the O's were in last place?  He would have surgery already. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really know what “acute, not chronic” means in this context.

Means what I had.  A one time injury not caused by something that he has battled with for a long time. 

A fluke.  Although IMO a pitcher who has thrown 100s of 1000s of pitches like he has?

Your elbow wears out over time.  Which makes it more chronic.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

I’m not a doctor, nor a radiologist, but have worked with radiology imaging systems (PACS) for 25 years. Interpreting what Elias said, the MRI shows an acute injury (in this case a new, localized UCL tear/strain/deformity) on top of the chronic injury.  Without seeing the imaging or the radiologist report, hard to speculate of course, but I’d presume the chronic part of the injury might be what you could term wear and tear. Elias pretty much said as much with his comments about Felix throwing as hard as he does and for a really long time now. 

So in a nutshell, sounds like a new injury (obviously) over top of some sort of pre existing UCL injury or condition. A lot of times using various imaging techniques and views/protocols, you are able to see the anatomical differences to be able to characterize and distinguish old injuries from new. 

10 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

I’m not a doctor, nor a radiologist, but have worked with radiology imaging systems (PACS) for 25 years. Interpreting what Elias said, the MRI shows an acute injury (in this case a new, localized UCL tear/strain/deformity) on top of the chronic injury.  Without seeing the imaging or the radiologist report, hard to speculate of course, but I’d presume the chronic part of the injury might be what you could term wear and tear. Elias pretty much said as much with his comments about Felix throwing as hard as he does and for a really long time now. 

So in a nutshell, sounds like a new injury (obviously) over top of some sort of pre existing UCL injury or condition. A lot of times using various imaging techniques and views/protocols, you are able to see the anatomical differences to be able to characterize and distinguish old injuries from new. 

If he truly has the UCL tear, I doubt he is ever the same as throwing 100 MPH.  Even with a new ligament.  I am sure he can get up to the high 90s but I am doubtful he can get to where he was.

He is going to have to learn some new ways to get people out.

And I hate to say this, but I remember watching the All start game this year with my wife and thinking "why in the HELL is this guy still in the game after 30 pitches" or whatever it was.  He was obviously laboring and I remember thinking that this may come back to haunt the Os later in the year.  He was spending a TON of energy and effort for a game that meant nothing.

No real idea if it contributed to the injury but no way it helped.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

If he truly has the UCL tear, I doubt he is ever the same as throwing 100 MPH.  Even with a new ligament.  I am sure he can get up to the high 90s but I am doubtful he can get to where he was.

He is going to have to learn some new ways to get people out.

And I hate to say this, but I remember watching the All start game this year with my wife and thinking "why in the HELL is this guy still in the game after 30 pitches" or whatever it was.  He was obviously laboring and I remember thinking that this may come back to haunt the Os later in the year.  He was spending a TON of energy and effort for a game that meant nothing.

No real idea if it contributed to the injury but no way it helped.

Guys can get back to throwing 100 after TJ surgery.

He threw 28 pitches in the All-Star game.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Guys can get back to throwing 100 after TJ surgery.

He threw 28 pitches in the All-Star game.

Yeah...so 30 lol.

For a game that meant nothing and where he was obviously struggling.

It is rare he throws that many in a real O's game.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

16 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I’m not sure how Connolly calls this no real update. After a couple of weeks of the only info being “he has some degree of ucl injury”, this is obviously an update. 

How does Connolly even have press credentials?   Who’s he working for now that The Athletic canned him?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And if you said that while he was still pitching, it was fewer than 28.

I have no idea what this even means.  I mean watttttttttttt?   Serious.  You seem to be arguing something completely pointless.

Why?  Only YOU know.

Bottom line is he threw almost 30 pitches.  And not good pitches.  He was high and wild the entire time.

Again...in a game that meant nothing.  I am not sure why this is even arguable. 

But....if you want to argue why this was a good thing for him?

I am all ears. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

13 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I have no idea what this even means.  I mean watttttttttttt?   Serious.  You seem to be arguing something completely pointless.

Why?  Only YOU know.

Bottom line is he threw almost 30 pitches.  And not good pitches.  He was high and wild the entire time.

Again...in a game that meant nothing.  I am not sure why this is even arguable. 

But....if you want to argue why this was a good thing for him?

I am all ears. 

What’s the point of bringing up the All-star game?  He was great for a full month after it with multiple 2 inning saves.   You acknowledge it may have had nothing to do with the injury and chances it had as little or as much as the other 100 appearances over the last two years.  I’m sure pitching in the all-star game meant something to Bautista.   We could bring up the 2 inning saves or pitching a certain amount of games in a certain amount of days.   Maybe the injury happens if they baby him all year long.  No one knows which is why bring up a game from two months ago is silly.