Lucas Giolito on waivers?

Hallas

12 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I believe if you successfully claim one, you go to the bottom of the list. So, if no other teams put in claims, then yes one team could claim 5 guys.

Interesting, I didn't know about moving to the bottom of the list. So theoretically the O's have a chance to pick someone up. These next 2-3 days will be quite interesting.

10 hours ago, Gurgi said:

With Trout it could of been guessed.  Ohtani not so much to be fair.  They are snake bit.  They need to stop paying out these mega long contracts and try to draft and develop players better.  

I think your second point is the real issue. Building around special talent like Trout and Ohtani should be perfectly viable, if you're doing the rest of it right. They may be snake-bit, but they've also proven to be completely inept at team-building. 

Looks like I was wrong.

From an article on The Athletic.

So, could one team snag all these guys?

In theory, yes. Because one waiver claim does not impact another, the waiver order remains intact. For example, all 30 teams could put in claims for each player, but the A’s would get all of them by virtue of having the No. 1 waiver claim. The A’s getting the first guy does not change their odds of getting the others. See, waivers are fun right?

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

Looks like I was wrong.

From an article on The Athletic.

So, could one team snag all these guys?

In theory, yes. Because one waiver claim does not impact another, the waiver order remains intact. For example, all 30 teams could put in claims for each player, but the A’s would get all of them by virtue of having the No. 1 waiver claim. The A’s getting the first guy does not change their odds of getting the others. See, waivers are fun right?

Well Oakland for one is not going to claim a single one.  They are cheap cheap cheap.   

The other interesting gamesmanship that could come in to play is that bad teams don't have any incentive to add anyone expensive just for this year. So an OAK type of team has no incentive to spend $1M on a Moore/Giolito/Renfroe type of player. We could pick ahead of a lot of the playoff teams, so these guys could fall to us if we want them. 

54 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The other interesting gamesmanship that could come in to play is that bad teams don't have any incentive to add anyone expensive just for this year. So an OAK type of team has no incentive to spend $1M on a Moore/Giolito/Renfroe type of player. We could pick ahead of a lot of the playoff teams, so these guys could fall to us if we want them. 

The only team we're picking ahead of is the Braves. 

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

I like the fact that the Angels are waving the white flag just when we're about to play them in LA.  

Hope you're right.  Sometimes when a team is playing a bunch of hungry guys just up from AAA trying to prove they belong in the majors can be a tougher situation than one might think.