Pay the Man!

Dipper9

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, truth be told, Mora had one hell of a season last year for an "old" guy. If Roberts gives us that production at the end of his contract, I'd be ecstatic!

I said it for Mora, and I'll say it again for BRob....Pay the Man!

How terrible of a first half did Mora have? How much of a decline has Mora been on lately? Did Mora live up to his contract in 2006 when he had a 91 OPS+? How about in 2007 when he had a 98 OPS+? He puts together a great second half because of Cortisone and necessary rest, but he's not an every day player, and I hope Trembley doesn't utilize him as such (Mora). Mora made $4 million in 2006 to stink it up. He got near $8 million in 2007 (terrible contract, IMHO) to stink it up. He puts together a hot second half in 2008, and now you're saying it was a positive overall for Mora? So, we've given him $20 million over the last 3 years to put up one good season. And we're going to give him $8 in 2009. Are you confident he'll be the Mora of 2008? Or the Mora of 2006 and 2007? I think he's going to regress. He wasn't worth the contract we gave him. Terrible contract.

I can see the same happening with Roberts. That amount of money ($40-$44 million) over 4 years for a ~32 year old second baseman? No thank you.

It's pretty apparent that Roberts doesn't want to sign here. And even IF he did, I don't want him. He's more valuable to us in a trade or by letting him walk for 2 fellas.

See ya!!

I don't think that's apparent at all. Everyone is waiting for Hudson to sign to establish a baseline for a deal. I've been saying that for weeks and Bigbird just backed it up from his source. With Hudson unsigned and not getting offers, it would be ridiculous for the Orioles to go beyond the one base offer they have probably made. And Roberts isn't going to accept that until Hudson takes a weak deal and proves to Roberts that he isn't going to do much better.

I also disagree with you on your assessment of Roberts' value.

Its about time somebody said this! No more trade talk. No more bickering over a few million either way. If Roberts wants to stay for 4 more years, then Pay the Man! The Fans (most of us, anyway...no disrespect SG) want it. His teammates want it. MacPhail and Trembley seem to want it. Cindy definitely wants it. So if BRob truly wants to extend here, its time to stop fiddle farting around, get it done, and PAY the MAN!

We agree 100%:wedge:

Pay My Perfect One:hearts: Now!!!!:):clap3::wedge:

Great Thread Dipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

If Hudson gets 1 or 2 years, the Orioles would be foolish to up their current offer.

We can put all the stats we want out there but the bottom line is a player is only worth what the other team(s) are willing to pay him. He is only worth what the market dictates.

Good chance things get worse before they get better.

You can't just give him another year and another 10-15 million dollars just to keep him here and appease the fans.

I don't see any reason to throw some foolish(foolish meaning way more than needed) contract out there just to get it done.

Make an offer that makes sense. Sentimentality should not play into the negotiations. AM needs to take into account what he anticipates Roberts production will be over the period as well as the level of risk the contract size/length entails and determine a value. If that is 3/30, stick with it. If it's more so be it. The last thing this franchise needs to do is make decisions to knowingly overpay for reasons that have zero to do with production. The dispassionate approach is the right approach and should be the only approach when the franchise is financially outgunned by the extent that it is in this division.

How terrible of a first half did Mora have? How much of a decline has Mora been on lately? Did Mora live up to his contract in 2006 when he had a 91 OPS+? How about in 2007 when he had a 98 OPS+? He puts together a great second half because of Cortisone and necessary rest, but he's not an every day player, and I hope Trembley doesn't utilize him as such (Mora). Mora made $4 million in 2006 to stink it up. He got near $8 million in 2007 (terrible contract, IMHO) to stink it up. He puts together a hot second half in 2008, and now you're saying it was a positive overall for Mora? So, we've given him $20 million over the last 3 years to put up one good season. And we're going to give him $8 in 2009. Are you confident he'll be the Mora of 2008? Or the Mora of 2006 and 2007? I think he's going to regress. He wasn't worth the contract we gave him. Terrible contract.

I can see the same happening with Roberts. That amount of money ($40-$44 million) over 4 years for a ~32 year old second baseman? No thank you.

His extension wasn't in effect in 2006.

So far, with 2007 and 2008, he's had a 791 overall OPS. That's hardly "stinking it up."

There are plenty upon plenty of moves to complain about the Orioles FO making over the year. Tons. You whining about this one is just inane and leads one to believe that you have a sort of bizarre agenda.

It's pretty apparent that Roberts doesn't want to sign here. And even IF he did, I don't want him. He's more valuable to us in a trade or by letting him walk for 2 fellas.

See ya!!

You really think 2 draft picks is more valuable than 4 years of Roberts.? Of course if those picks result in Wieters and Matusz, but how likely is that. The average 2 draft picks don't ever make the show. Roberts will have better than league average value for 2, most likely 3 of those 4 years and most likely no less than that in year 4.

According to Fangraphs, Mora's performance was worth more than what he was paid in each of those years so you can hardly call it stinking it up. In his entire career as an O he has been paid $28.2mm, but has been worth $78.8mm. In his past 3 seasons he was paid 19.9 mm but worth $26mm. Not as good as he used to be, but hardly stinking it up. If you wish to be convincing, try facts instead of hyperbole.

Archived