Chad Bradford...

GeorgiaBird

Sorry to hear that.

If a player has an injury insurance policy, and is traded, does the new team have to assume the premium payments? Or can that piece of the contract be reworked? Anyone know for sure?

I don't know for certain, but I just want to clear up what you are saying. I think you mean "if the team has an injury insurance policy" and not "if a player does".

Obviously, if the player held the insurance policy, the player pays his premiums and probably would just deal directly with the insurance company, however, considering he still gets paid, I don't know what kind of insurance he would collect. It's not like he loses his salary.

Regarding the team holding insurance, I would be kind of surprised if the entire team isn't insured against injury. However, that contract transferred from Baltimore to TB. I am not sure any argument could be made that he was injured while in Baltimore, otherwise, I dont see why TB would have taken on his contract in the first place. He must have passed their physical. He had 21 appeareances for them last year (19 inn). Chances are he was injured with them or during some offseason workout.

I don't know for certain, but I just want to clear up what you are saying. I think you mean "if the team has an injury insurance policy" and not "if a player does".Obviously, if the player held the insurance policy, the player pays his premiums and probably would just deal directly with the insurance company, however, considering he still gets paid, I don't know what kind of insurance he would collect. It's not like he loses his salary.

Regarding the team holding insurance, I would be kind of surprised if the entire team isn't insured against injury. However, that contract transferred from Baltimore to TB. I am not sure any argument could be made that he was injured while in Baltimore, otherwise, I dont see why TB would have taken on his contract in the first place. He must have passed their physical. He had 21 appeareances for them last year (19 inn). Chances are he was injured with them or during some offseason workout.

Yes, if the team has the policy. Thanks for clearing that up.

For example, say a team signs a free agent who has had an injury history and they purchase a special insurance policy on the guy. So if he gets injured, they are only on the hook for a portion of the salary. Now in mid contract, that guy gets traded. My question is does that team have to continue with that policy or does the policy get voided once he is traded. The more I think about it, the new team could always cancel the policy if they don't deem it necessary, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Archived