Who should come to the majors and when? Who should be traded?

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I tend to think more in terms of what is practical, rather than what I’d like to see happen.

The idea that there is going to some mass exodus of core players traded this off-season, is not based in reality. Maybe one guy as part of a bigger trade to get pitching. Mountcastle would be my pick. 

Santander was possibly our most valuable bat over the course of the season, and I think they like Hays defense a lot in left field.  Mullins is our center fielder for one more season, as I don’t see anyone else replacing that defense.

Mateo shouldn’t be back.

if Mountcastle and Mateo are gone that leaves room for Holliday and Mayo to break in. Beyond that, I’m not sure. We’ll see how the season unfolds 

How is that not based in reality?  All their decisions are cost sensitive.  Until they show they are going to spend money and bring in talent that costs them more than what they have on hand, how can you think they are going to open up the purse? To think they are going to trade low cost players for establish players making real money is not based in reality.  Sure, he said ownership would back them at the right time.  I will believe it when I see it.  Until then, I very much expect them to get rid of the players making the most money and replace them with cost effective interval replacements.  I think Santander *might be a player they pay a little for one more year, but wouldn’t be one bit surprised if he was traded a week after the WS. 

I think we have to keep Santander. There's just no knowing how well or quickly Kjerstsad or any other prospect will come along to replace that kind of production. There's also no sure fire FA I'd expect us to be able to sign to replace it either. We could explore a trade, but I think it's more likely we use our pieces to get a starter.

I hope Coby Mayo gets a ton of reps in RF at Sarasota and the first part of the season in Norfolk.  His arm can be a real asset there.  Kjerstad should have a real opportunity to make the big team out of spring training, even if he gets most of his at bats DH’ing.

From MLBTR chat today (apologies if posted elsewhere, just came across it)

What’s a realistic trade offer built around Corbin Burnes for Coby Mayo? One-for-one? One of the teams have to add something?

Mark P
8:41
Mayo and a couple of lesser prospects might do it.

8:42
"Lesser," maybe a top 10-15 guy, and then a lottery ticket type in the lower minors.

Keep in mind that a player who's ranked 10-15 in Baltimore's system would be higher in almost any other system, since the Orioles are so crazy deep in prospects

1 hour ago, tom_o'malley said:

From MLBTR chat today (apologies if posted elsewhere, just came across it)

What’s a realistic trade offer built around Corbin Burnes for Coby Mayo? One-for-one? One of the teams have to add something?

Mark P
8:41
Mayo and a couple of lesser prospects might do it.

8:42
"Lesser," maybe a top 10-15 guy, and then a lottery ticket type in the lower minors.

Keep in mind that a player who's ranked 10-15 in Baltimore's system would be higher in almost any other system, since the Orioles are so crazy deep in prospects

That is incredibly tempting.

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Huh?

Hm, maybe I am on an island on this. Our rotation with Burnes would be serious WS contender quality. We could extend him or hit him with QO and get comp pick back if he declines.

Mayo is probably our #2 prospect and I am definitely high on him, but seems like Mayo or Basallo would be the realistic price for a guy like Burnes. If we're not prepared to give up a prospect like Mayo I have to think Burnes is going elsewhere. I don't think it's a great deal but it seems fair to me, so I would be tempted.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hm, maybe I am on an island on this. Our rotation with Burnes would be serious WS contender quality. We could extend him or hit him with QO and get comp pick back if he declines.

Mayo is probably our #2 prospect and I am definitely high on him, but seems like Mayo or Basallo would be the realistic price for a guy like Burnes. If we're not prepared to give up a prospect like Mayo I have to think Burnes is going elsewhere. I don't think it's a great deal but it seems fair to me, so I would be tempted.

Burnes had a little bit of a down year and he has one year left. He isn’t likely to get a top 15ish prospect.

23 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Woodruff is going to miss 2024, with surgery (Tommy John?).  I can't see Milwaukee trading Burnes when they were a playoff team.

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I hope Coby Mayo gets a ton of reps in RF at Sarasota and the first part of the season in Norfolk.  His arm can be a real asset there.  Kjerstad should have a real opportunity to make the big team out of spring training, even if he gets most of his at bats DH’ing.

I completely agree.  So far that makes two of us in regard to Mayo in RF.

41 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Burnes gave up 4 runs in 4 innings, blowing a 3-0 lead vs Arizona in the playoffs. Performances like that wouldn’t do much to make us a WS contender, especially at the expense of giving up a 40 HR mid lineup bat.

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Burnes gave up 4 runs in 4 innings, blowing a 3-0 lead vs Arizona in the playoffs. Performances like that wouldn’t do much to make us a WS contender, especially at the expense of giving up a 40 HR mid lineup bat.

Yeah, I’d judge a pitcher based on one playoff performance.  And in addition to ignoring his regular season and career, I’d certainly ignore that he’d allowed only 2 runs in 15 innings in his prior playoff appearances.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’d judge a pitcher based on one playoff performance.  And in addition to ignoring his regular season and career, I’d certainly ignore that he’d allowed only 2 runs in 15 innings in his prior playoff appearances.  

Coby Mayo for Andrew Heaney. 1 ER in 3.2 IP this postseason.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I guess that’s as crazy as saying he makes you a WS contender then, isn’t it.