Sonny Gray to St Louis

Rustbelt

As each pitcher comes off the board, the lesser ones become that much more expensive.    The market is being set, and again, it won't favor how the Orioles like to do business.   I know it's a Buck thing, but I feel like a "I like our guys" moment is coming soon.....this offseason will be a repeat of last year, and Santa isn't coming down our chimney this year.  Again....

3 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

As each pitcher comes off the board, the lesser ones become that much more expensive.    

I don’t believe this has ever proven to be true.   Generally, the early deals are the overpays.   That’s why the players jump at them early.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

As each pitcher comes off the board, the lesser ones become that much more expensive.    The market is being set, and again, it won't favor how the Orioles like to do business.   I know it's a Buck thing, but I feel like a "I like our guys" moment is coming soon.....this offseason will be a repeat of last year, and Santa isn't coming down our chimney this year.  Again....

If that helps them win 100 games Im ok this that.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t believe this has ever proven to be true.   Generally, the early deals are the overpays.   That’s why the players jump at them early.  

Most teams are looking for pitching.  I do believe that as more pitchers come off the board, the competition for what's left becomes greater as teams become more desperate to sign one.  I don't see us getting into bidding wars.  And yes, I could be wrong.  (I didn't mean to imply that each new pitcher that is signed will get more than the last one, I just think their negotiating position is improving).  I'm sure that's why some of them end up waiting until later to possibly receive elevated offers.

I seem to be in the minority but I’m not too upset he didn’t end up here. Generally, it seems like a bad idea to go after pitchers in their mid-thirties who just came off one of the best seasons of their career. At least, in terms of what kind of value will you get. The O’s obviously shop for hidden value, ex. Gibson, Irvin. I bet Gray won’t have a season as good as 2023 again. 

44 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Going to be a quiet off season if guys like Sonny Gray are getting 25 per

That's pretty much my take unless John Angelos decides to open up his wallet and that is doubtful without a new lease deal officially signed yet. Best bet is to make a trade for a player under contract at this point and Elias is going to have to trade some prospects or players soon with the coming logjam of MLB ready talent. 

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I think Giolito enters Best 5 available now, as Snell, Stroman, Montgomery and Eduardo gain a view of another data point.

In mu opinion Yamamoto is way better than Giolito. So is Ohtani. Heck, I even think Michael Wacha is better than Giolito (and cheaper).

But I do like Snell, Montgomery, and Eduardo.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Winning 100 games was fun last year. That was without Means and a rookie Grayson. We’ll be alright. The time for us to add a SP is a rental at the deadline if need be. 

Yeah, I’m not worried one way or the other but Elias is the one who keeps giving the impression he wants a #3 starter or better and before ST.   I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year.  No excuses this year even though I wouldn’t have a huge problem with Irvin, Wells, or Hall as #5 to start the season.