If not Cease..then who?

Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

FFS

It's a reasonable request, I mean you start a thread and then shoot down every player that people come up with.  I was going to say Ed-Rod, too, but apparently that's not realistic for some reason.

Quite frankly, I don't have enough time to look up who's allegedly on the market via trade, it's too hard to tell to begin with.

If we're talking free agents I'd kick the tires on Snell, but that's probably not realistic either.  Stroman, Seth Lugo would be other free agents I'd want the Orioles to consider.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is a different discussion than saying Woo is more valuable on the trade market.  He’s not. Maybe YOU would pay more and I understand why but in reality, he’s not worth more.

The Mariners probably wouldn’t trade Woo for Cease though, would they?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a reasonable request, I mean you start a thread and then shoot down every player that people come up with.  I was going to say Ed-Rod, too, but apparently that's not realistic for some reason.

Quite frankly, I don't have enough time to look up who's allegedly on the market via trade, it's too hard to tell to begin with.

If we're talking free agents I'd kick the tires on Snell, but that's probably not realistic either.  Stroman, Seth Lugo would be other free agents I'd want the Orioles to consider.

I didn’t shoot down every player.  I said ERod wasn’t realistic. That’s it. FFS, you are annoying as hell sometimes.

So now you believe that Angelos will give out a 4-5 year deal, likely for 9 figures, for a player?  Really?  You think that’s realistic to think that?  I don’t believe you do. I think this is you just being you and trying to be entertaining, which isn’t working.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

lol…don’t offend the overly sensitive.

There was nothing wrong with what you said. Facts are what they are. 

Just now, emmett16 said:

lol…don’t offend the overly sensitive.

There was nothing wrong with what you said. Facts are what they are. 

Except it wasn’t a fact because I haven’t said every pitcher isn’t realistic.

But good try snowflake. Even when you are trying to copy me, you still look like a fool. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Except it wasn’t a fact because I haven’t said every pitcher isn’t realistic.

But good try snowflake. Even when you are trying to copy me, you still look like a fool. 

Copy? Nah.  Just pointing out you talk out of both sides of your mouth non-stop and hurl insults when you get called out, proven wrong, or your feelings get hurt.   Carry on.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Copy? Nah.  Just pointing out you talk out of both sides of your mouth non-stop and hurl insults when you get called out, proven wrong, or your feelings get hurt.   Carry on.  

Nah..just tired of the Moose schtick at times. But keep butting your nose into those that have nothing to do with you. Your comments are always so welcomed.

• Haha 1

I didn’t shoot down every player.  I said ERod wasn’t realistic. That’s it. FFS, you are annoying as hell sometimes.

So now you believe that Angelos will give out a 4-5 year deal, likely for 9 figures, for a player?  Really?  You think that’s realistic to think that?  I don’t believe you do. I think this is you just being you and trying to be entertaining, which isn’t working.

No, I don't think it's realistic to think that Angelos will give a 4-5 year, 9 figure deal.

But if we're talking about what's realistic, let's agree on a few assumptions.

First, Angelos isn't going to spend the money that you and I and everyone else thinks they can or thinks they should.  He hasn't and doesn't appear to be coming close to doing so.  You and I can agree that they can afford a 3/75 deal (I wanted Sonny Gray) but you and I can also agree that they're not going to spend that.  I doubt they'd spend even 3/60 or even 3/50 because they haven't in quite some time.  That is to say I think if we're going to keep coming back to what is "realistic", we need to examine what the track records have been.

Second, I don't believe Elias is about to trade any prospects, even though you and I agree that he should.  Again, if we're talking about what's "realistic" we need to stay in the parameters of what's transpired so far over Elias' tenure here and he hasn't been willing to part with prospects very often.  He did for Flaherty at the deadline last year which was a flop, and he parted with guys like Prieto, Rom and Showalter, not guys like Norby, Ortiz and Cowser.  So he's shown us that he's going to part with guys that are outside of the top 15, top 20 prospects in the system.  On a similar note, he traded Hernaiz for Cole Irvin.  

These are not the big deals we're craving here, they're not the big signings, trades and moves that we talk about on here and think are realistic just because we think they should be.  And again, I agree that Elias should be able to sign a pitcher for a 3/75 deal, I agree that he should be trading some of these upper tier prospects but his track record shows us that he's not willing to.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.  And when Angelos allows Elias to step up and buy a pitcher in free agency at a 3/75 level deal, I'll believe it.  When Elias trades some prospects that are on a top 10 Orioles list, I'll believe it. 

Until then, I'll believe what's "realistic" is very different from what you might think it is.  

So I'm not sure what pitchers are "realistic" from a trade perspective, as I mentioned I don't keep up with MLBTR and the CBS sports pages and whatever else is reporting rumors.  It's exhausting.

Here's a list of free agents, the top 30 pitchers that are available.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/2024-mlb-free-agent-rankings-top-30-pitchers

From this list, I don't really like any of these names.  Keep in mind, the pitchers I think that are "realistic" are guys in the Gibson and Irvin mold because that's the reality that the Orioles have been dealing in.  

But if I absolutely HAD to pick 3 off this list, it'd be Lorenzen, Lugo and Wacha.  Mind you, those are not guys I am excited about, but I think they're more in line with what the Orioles will do because that's what the Orioles have done.

In regards to being entertaining, I'm disappointed in you because I haven't responded to you with a dick or fart joke or a gif.  If you can't tell when I'm trying to be entertaining after all these years, that makes me sad.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, I don't think it's realistic to think that Angelos will give a 4-5 year, 9 figure deal.

But if we're talking about what's realistic, let's agree on a few assumptions.

First, Angelos isn't going to spend the money that you and I and everyone else thinks they can or thinks they should.  He hasn't and doesn't appear to be coming close to doing so.  You and I can agree that they can afford a 3/75 deal (I wanted Sonny Gray) but you and I can also agree that they're not going to spend that.  I doubt they'd spend even 3/60 or even 3/50 because they haven't in quite some time.  That is to say I think if we're going to keep coming back to what is "realistic", we need to examine what the track records have been.

Second, I don't believe Elias is about to trade any prospects, even though you and I agree that he should.  Again, if we're talking about what's "realistic" we need to stay in the parameters of what's transpired so far over Elias' tenure here and he hasn't been willing to part with prospects very often.  He did for Flaherty at the deadline last year which was a flop, and he parted with guys like Prieto, Rom and Showalter, not guys like Norby, Ortiz and Cowser.  So he's shown us that he's going to part with guys that are outside of the top 15, top 20 prospects in the system.  On a similar note, he traded Hernaiz for Cole Irvin.  

These are not the big deals we're craving here, they're not the big signings, trades and moves that we talk about on here and think are realistic just because we think they should be.  And again, I agree that Elias should be able to sign a pitcher for a 3/75 deal, I agree that he should be trading some of these upper tier prospects but his track record shows us that he's not willing to.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.  And when Angelos allows Elias to step up and buy a pitcher in free agency at a 3/75 level deal, I'll believe it.  When Elias trades some prospects that are on a top 10 Orioles list, I'll believe it. 

Until then, I'll believe what's "realistic" is very different from what you might think it is.  

So I'm not sure what pitchers are "realistic" from a trade perspective, as I mentioned I don't keep up with MLBTR and the CBS sports pages and whatever else is reporting rumors.  It's exhausting.

Here's a list of free agents, the top 30 pitchers that are available.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/2024-mlb-free-agent-rankings-top-30-pitchers

From this list, I don't really like any of these names.  Keep in mind, the pitchers I think that are "realistic" are guys in the Gibson and Irvin mold because that's the reality that the Orioles have been dealing in.  

But if I absolutely HAD to pick 3 off this list, it'd be Lorenzen, Lugo and Wacha.  Mind you, those are not guys I am excited about, but I think they're more in line with what the Orioles will do because that's what the Orioles have done.

In regards to being entertaining, I'm disappointed in you because I haven't responded to you with a dick or fart joke or a gif.  If you can't tell when I'm trying to be entertaining after all these years, that makes me sad.

So if you don’t think ERod is realistic, why would you give me a hard time about saying he’s not realistic?

And I agree that those 3 games are definitely in play for them, Lugo especially.

Edited by Sports Guy

So if you don’t think ERod is realistic, why would you give me a hard time about saying he’s not realistic?

Touchy, touchy SG.  Sorry for giving you a hard time, I regret ruffling your feathers even though it's a wonderful plume.

Because I think Ed-Rod SHOULD be realistic, even though he's not.  

The whole point of that post was to get you and everyone else to agree what a definition of "realistic" so we can have a conversation with that definition in mind.    

I don't think it's realistic that they do acquire a top 3 starter.  They're going to bank on a full year of a healthy Means, they're going to bank on that 2nd half G-Rod is going to be able to throw close to that for a full year and that Bradish can repeat what he did.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Touchy, touchy SG.  Sorry for giving you a hard time, I regret ruffling your feathers even though it's a wonderful plume.

Because I think Ed-Rod SHOULD be realistic, even though he's not.  

The whole point of that post was to get you and everyone else to agree what a definition of "realistic" so we can have a conversation with that definition in mind.    

I don't think it's realistic that they do acquire a top 3 starter.  They're going to bank on a full year of a healthy Means, they're going to bank on that 2nd half G-Rod is going to be able to throw close to that for a full year and that Bradish can repeat what he did.

Don’t forget the Japanese secret weapon.