MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I wonder where Wacha will be pitching in August. This is the type of move I'd make if I were a rebuilding team that wanted to supplement my system via the trade deadline.

Aroldis getting Cole Ragans probably gives that fan base all kinds of Eduardo Rodriguez-Andrew Miller feel good vibes.       I bet they feel in the division race.

Another thing to add with Luzardo....if he is acquired and he puts together good seasons in 24/25, he could be used like Glasnow was used by the Rays.   You trade him with a year left, he's still pretty young, and you get high-quality prospects back if you can't afford to keep him. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

The money these guys are getting is insane. People still thinking 2 solid prospects for Cease is too much? Hardly.

It also shows how much money is in baseball right now. There's really no reason for a team to not try to improve via any means necessary. I don't think Wacha is worth the contract...but the contract is what the market is paying.

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

It also shows how much money is in baseball right now. There's really no reason for a team to not try to improve via any means necessary. I don't think Wacha is worth the contract...but the contract is what the market is paying.

The amount the Rays got for 1 year of Glasnow is definitely a little worrying. 

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

What do you mean? I guess I'm not following you.

Sorry, I think I quoted the wrong post lol.

But what I 'm saying is, they got the equivalent of like Grayson, basically. Really Pepiot is a probably a tier below Grayson but we don't really have that type of pitching prospect right now with ML success like Pepiot has, plus 5 years of control. Plus they got a big power OF in DeLuca whose MiLB numbers remind me a little too much of Kjerstad for my own comfort. 

So, I think a guy like Burnes would require similar, and Cease just a bit less (but close with the extra year of control). 

Basically, I'm saying it justifies the White Sox asking for as much as they probably are. And we either give up something regrettable like Kjerstad and Hall, or we don't make the trade. 

Edited by interloper

Just now, interloper said:

They got the equivalent of like Grayson, basically. Really Pepiot is a probably a tier below Grayson but we don't really have that type of pitching prospect right now with ML success like Pepiot has, plus 5 years of control.

So, I think a guy like Burnes would require similar, and Cease just a bit less (but close with the extra year of control). 

Basically, I'm saying it justifies the White Sox asking for as much as they probably are. And we either give up something regrettable like Kjerstad and Hall, or we don't make the trade. 

Pepiot couldn't sniff Grayson' jock in terms of value.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, interloper said:

They got the equivalent of like Grayson, basically. Really Pepiot is a probably a tier below Grayson but we don't really have that type of pitching prospect right now with ML success like Pepiot has, plus 5 years of control.

pretends-to-be-shocked-face-reb3maxtxogj

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Pepiot couldn't sniff Grayson' jock in terms of value.

Like I said, we don't have a prospect like Pepiot right now. He's not as upside-y as Grayson, but he's had success everywhere. He would instantly be our best pitching prospect now that Grayson is graduated. And I would start him over Kremer without hesitation. 

Edited by interloper

Just now, interloper said:

I gotcha. I know one really doesn't have to do with the other, but him signing that huge contract in LA probably made it worth it for them. 

Baltimore can't play every young Mil player. At some point they have to do something. The 101 win total was definitely nice but I don't think they're anywhere near that going into 2024. I'm not advocating for Cease as I would be just as happy if they signed Stroman. Even if they did it that way they would still need to move some of the duplicate positions in a trade.

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Can he be top 10 by the ASB?  Or does he need to perform for another year or two for that title?

Well Ubaldo Jimenez led the NL at the All Star break one year in ERA and wins.  1/2 a season is too small a time period for me to say a pitcher is TOR starter.  If GRod has a 2024 season close to second 1/2 of 2023, I would call him a TOR starter.  For instance an ERA in the low 3's and WHIP around 1.1 or below.  I'm sure a lot of people have higher requirements.