The Angelos appreciation thread

Moose Milligan

Peter wasn’t really a baseball guy. His interest was in doing something for Baltimore."

John Moag-Sun

This pretty much sums it up for me-that Peter and then John were never baseball fans-they don't care about and love the game the way we do. Their interest was in the symbiotic relationship the franchise had with the city for which most of us could care less.  It will be nice to have an owner that knows and enjoys the game-who places building a consistent contender over concerts and community outreach programs.

I think Peter-like most would like to be judged on his intentions rather then the results but in my mind his legacy isn't the good he thought he was doing rather the dysfunctional mess he created.  

Edited by SemperFi

9 hours ago, dedwretched said:

Thanks for '96 and '97. That's it.

The Macphail/Duquette years with Buck were good while it lasted.  I got to go to a playoff win!  We swept the Verlander/Scherzer/Price Tigers!  That's not nothing.  Some teams haven't had that kind of success that recently, and we're already back near the top.

15 hours ago, ChipTait said:

Eli Jacobs was the owner when the team moved to Camden Yards.  He's the reason for "Oriole Park" at Camden Yards...

Oops.  Some article I read the other day credited Angelos and I was too young to remember.  I stand corrected!

Edited by blid

2 hours ago, SemperFi said:

Peter wasn’t really a baseball guy. His interest was in doing something for Baltimore."

John Moag-Sun

I used to know John Moag pretty well when he was a partner in my law firm.  I’d love to pick his brain about everything that happened here.   I’m sure he’s very well plugged in to it all.  

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Sad that we keep old people alive by "all" means even after they are in vegetative state.

Pray that the Angelos family finds peace in Peters eventual passing and removed from the stress of baseball team ownership

I think they just found a few billion reasons to find peace.  

Money doesn't buy happiness but I think I'd rather be rich and miserable than broke and unhappy.  

On 1/31/2024 at 8:56 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I appreciate that you weren't quite as destructive an owner as Bob Irsay or John Fisher. I appreciate that you didn't move the team to DC or Nashville or whatever, in the middle of the night in a Mayflower van. I appreciate that roughly 12 month period in the 1990s when you thought you'd like to out-spend the Yankees, before you decided that was a terrible idea and that you'd much rather have the 11th-highest payroll for the 29th-best team. I appreciate that it was just that one time you demanded that the team's #1 prospect be traded after a couple of poor outings for a 36-year-old middle reliever who'd go on to sell out half the team to PED investigators. I appreciate that you stepped up and paid top dollar, by far the largest contract in team history, for a 30-year-old first baseman who'd hit .196 the year prior. I appreciate that you let Dan Duquette do whatever he needed to do to build a winning team for a few years, just so long as that didn't involve spending real money, re-signing Manny, or investing in the farm system. I appreciate your stick-tuitive-ness in your MASN lawsuit, which I believe is now older than my kid who's a sophomore in high school and has helped limit the player payroll and competitiveness of two different MLB teams. I appreciate that you stuck to your principles and refused to sign any international free agents for years and years for some... reasons... that escape me. I appreciate your business savvy in identifying that there are no ways to acquire players outside of draft picks at slot that meet a reasonable ROI, so the Orioles won't use them.

So, thanks, Pete.

Now this is how you appreciate someone like Angelos! lol 

21 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I think it needs not be lost in here that Peter Angelos is a bad baseball owner but a good man. We can be glad him and his family don't own the team anymore, I certainly am, but he wasn't some kind of failed human.

I'm not sure any of us can know that for sure. Just because he gave money to charity or helped people out here and there, does not necessarily make him a good man. There are plenty of stories that would indicate he was a shallow, spiteful man at times who at the slightest bit of "unloyal behavior" would ensure that they were fired. There have been other stories written about him at times where some of his charity donations were politically motivated or virtue signaling vs doing amazing things for the people of the city.

At the same time, I don't know him personally so I can't say that he's not a good guy. 

What we can all say is that he was a terrible, terrible owner.

3 hours ago, SemperFi said:

I think Peter-like most would like to be judged on his intentions rather then the results but in my mind his legacy isn't the good he thought he was doing rather the dysfunctional mess he created.  

Following my rule for no politics....Is.....very......hard......when......this....explains...so...much...about....what....happens...in....cities....across... this... country!!! 

But I agree. I do think some of the stands that Peter took early on as owner were because he thought he was doing something good.

Like his refusal to feed into the whole Buscone system in the DR because it took advantage of young talented boys and uneducated families while enriching rich men. Was he wrong in that assessment, probably not, but when everyone else plays in that system you can't just stand on principle without consequences for your baseball operations. The consequences for the Orioles is they basically ignored an entire talent pipeline.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Like his refusal to feed into the whole Buscone system in the DR because it took advantage of young talented boys and uneducated families while enriching rich men. Was he wrong in that assessment, probably not, but when everyone else plays in that system you can't just stand on principle without consequences for your baseball operations. The consequences for the Orioles is they basically ignored an entire talent pipeline.

I actually admired him for taking that stand and refusing to field a scab team during the strike.  Those issues were a matter of principle for him.  Refusing to play in a corrupt international market certainly hurt the team's ability to develop talent, but MLB profited from an immoral practice, IMO.

Edited by NCRaven

11 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I actually admired him for taking that stand and refusing to field a scab team during the strike.  Those issues were a matter of principle for him.  Refusing to play in a corrupt international market certainly hurt the team's ability to develop talent, but MLB profited from an immoral practice, IMO.

Defector did a "better hate an owner," article on Angelos and the vibe of it was that Angelos seemed like a decent enough guy that was on the right side of a lot of history. One steelworker quoted in an article said something along the lines of: "Peter Angelos was the only one standing up for us." That is a lot of good intentions that led to terrible executions. 

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Sad that we keep old people alive by "all" means even after they are in vegetative state.

Pray that the Angelos family finds peace in Peters eventual passing and removed from the stress of baseball team ownership

You rather the pillow over the face method?