A Look Inside the Holliday’s Sports House

Say O!

Six minute video look inside incredible workout facility of #1 prospect from MLB Pipeline — LINK

Aside from all the hitting footage, loved this quote from Jackson:

"I don't like losing, so I am pretty excited to be in an org that's going in the right direction," Jackson Holliday said. "All I know from growing up is playoff baseball, and that's hopefully what Orioles fans have to look forward to -- a lot of years in the playoffs."

• Thanks 1

I have a question for all of you swing experts out there. On Jackson's follow-through he rolls over his front foot so he's sort of standing on the side of his foot. I know I've seen this before, but it looks unnatural and might even be something that could ultimately cause an injury. How common is this? What is the benefit? (It looks like his brother does it too...  So were they taught this?)

(FWIW - Just watched a couple of Matt's highlights and it doesn't look like he rolled his foot.)

Edited by Orange

On 2/6/2024 at 10:04 AM, Orange said:

I have a question for all of you swing experts out there. On Jackson's follow-through he rolls over his front foot so he's sort of standing on the side of his foot. I know I've seen this before, but it looks unnatural and might even be something that could ultimately cause an injury. How common is this? What is the benefit? (It looks like his brother does it too...  So were they taught this?)

(FWIW - Just watched a couple of Matt's highlights and it doesn't look like he rolled his foot.)

It's not optimal and by most accounts is something that saps power. I imagine it's something he's still working on.

On 2/7/2024 at 3:52 PM, Tony-OH said:

It's not optimal and by most accounts is something that saps power. I imagine it's something he's still working on.

Thanks for responding, Tony! I guess it's a comfort thing? If it hurts his power he must just feel uncomfortable when he doesn't do it.

On 2/7/2024 at 3:52 PM, Tony-OH said:

I don't understand why it would sap power?  It's after contact and part of the follow-through/momentum of the swing.

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I don't understand why it would sap power?  It's after contact and part of the follow-through/momentum of the swing.

I'm not a hitting instructor by any means, but I did some research and the prevailing wisdom is that you are giving up the inertia created when your front foot lands firmly and doesn't move. As with all hitting and pitching philosophies, I'm sure the more you dig the more chances you have of finding different takes on the situation. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Skip to 40 seconds.

I feel like almost all guys roll their foot a little. Certainly didn't hinder Mounty pounding one 472 feet at 113 mph. Sometimes we overthink swing mechanics. Holliday is fine. 

In the original post I mentioned that I looked at a couple of Matt Holliday's dingers... and yeah, his foot moved up and out just a tiny bit too.

The story says Jackson has an apartment w/ his wife at their training complex.  Jackson probably puts in more work on some days that Chris Davis did in entire offseasons.  It's hard not to root for this guy and think he has a good shot of hitting his ceiling.

My concern was that it could create an ankle injury over time (or a midfoot sprain). I'm sure I've seen it before, I just wonder if anyone is aware of players who did this for 10+ years without an injury?