Potential Pitching Staff Depth Chart for 2024

Greg Pappas

Key: *=Lefty and ages as of opening day are in parentheses. OO=out of options, thanks to @sportsfan8703

SP    Burnes (29.4)
SP    Bradish (27.5)
SP    Rodriguez (24.4)
SP    *Means (30.9)
SP    Kremer (28.2)

Additional starter options: Wells (29.6),  *Irvin (30.2) OO, McDermott (25.6), *Povich (24), *Zimmerman (29.1), Armbruester (25.4)

RP    Wells (29.6)
RP    *Irvin (30.2) OO
RP    Baumann (28.5) OO
RP    Tate (29.9)
RP    *Perez (27.9) OO
RP    Cano (30.1)
RP    *Columbe (34.4) OO
CL    Kimbrel (35.8) OO

Additional reliever options: Heasley (27.2), J. Webb (30.6) OO, *Akin (29.0), Baker (29.3),  *Vespi (28.5), *Zimmerman (29.1)

Notes: 

• Where guys are listed does not necessarily reflect where in the pecking order they'll be or in what situations they'll be leveraged in.
  • Tate is penciled in, as we don't know how he'll perform coming off his injury.   
  • If I missed someone notable, let me know, but understand I wasn't going to list every long shot at AAA. 

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 2

Webb vs Baumann for the final reliever spot?  Maybe Tate begins the season in the minors since he has options. I’d add to the OP who has an option for 2024…

Kimbrel, Webb, Baumann, Coloumbe, Perez, and Irvin, are all out of options.

It’s a really good 8 man bullpen makeup with flexibility now. Good lefty depth as well. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Webb vs Baumann for the final reliever spot?  Maybe Tate begins the season in the minors since he has options. I’d add to the OP who has an option for 2024…

Kimbrel, Webb, Baumann, Coloumbe, Perez, and Irvin, are all out of options.

It’s a really good 8 man bullpen makeup with flexibility now. Good lefty depth as well. 

Thank you for the out-of-options list. 😃

I am comfortable with Irvin as my 6th option going into the season.  He looked pretty good when he came back after the demotion last season. 

I still think Kremer has the ability to take it up another notch because of his smarts and pitch-ability combined with pretty decent stuff. 

Feeling really good about the rotation now.  Means (health) is the question mark for me. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I am comfortable with Irvin as my 6th option going into the season.  He looked pretty good when he came back after the demotion last season. 

I still think Kremer has the ability to take it up another notch because of his smarts and pitch-ability combined with pretty decent stuff. 

Feeling really good about the rotation now.  Means (health) is the question mark for me. 

Irvin is a bit of a wildcard, in that he has pitched well before, but has struggled here thus far.  Time will tell with him, as with all things.  Kremer is solid, no doubt.  Means' health and ability to rebound to something similar to his previous success would be a big deal.

Webb > Baumann and I think Tate gets optioned if it would otherwise mean either of them would be cut. 

The big question is if they add somebody like Brasier to lock up another bullpen spot. Then, if everybody is healthy, the only way they go into the season without DFA’ing anybody is to option both Wells and Tate, and then you don’t have anybody on the roster who can be optioned when you need a fresh arm. In addition of course to Wells probably being one of their best RP, and definitely better than Webb and Baumann.

I think they should still bring in a higher leverage RP. Injuries probably sort things out, but if worse case scenario you need to DFA Baumann then so be it. 

I don't like having up to 6 guys that are out of options. Elias & Co. seem to favor optionable guys as it provides such flexibility during the season for injuries, performance, etc.  I expect the Os to trade for another RP this offseason or during Spring Training and potentially make room for them by including one of the RPs without options like Baumann/Webb (and maybe Urias or Mateo too, with maybe a prospect thrown in).  I don't think Baumann (and maybe Webb) will be on the roster on OD - just my opinion.

The infield needs sorted out too and I do believe they keep either Mateo or Urias but I don't see keeping both (that's why I think one of them will be included in a trade to make roster space).

Edited by EERinthe804

Thanks for laying this out.

Agree with Baumann over Webb.

In season moves for bullpen to be dictated by performance/injury and whether viable in-house options emerge or whether get another high leverage guy via trade market.  To me, there may likely be more/better selection June/July for back end trade pieces. 

I think losing Hall to add Burnes brings a lot more clarity to Cole Irvin and Tyler Wells' roles. 

Irvin is your spot starter/long reliever, and Wells is a backend reliever who can go multiple innings when needed. 

I like Wells' potential to soak up some of Bautista's missing innings. 

• Upvote 1