Areas of concern (3)

RZNJ

Just now, RZNJ said:

True, but we have to hope he does enough damage when he does make contact and eventually cut down on the swing and miss AND there is a ton of swing and miss.

Cowser seems like he’s turning into the exact opposite of the type of player I thought we was when we drafted him.   He swings and misses a lot but has impressive power when he gets hold of one.  

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Judging by posts I have seen from you lately, I think you should worry that you worry too much.  😁🤣

This is definitely fair.  😂 I will say the Burnes post was more worrying he won’t be elite and instead be more of a 3.70 era guy.  I don’t see him failing. 

Edited by baltfan

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cowser seems like he’s turning into the exact opposite of the type of player I thought we was when we drafted him.   He swings and misses a lot but has impressive power when he gets hold of one.  

Yeah I think the scouting was that he would be .300 with limited power around 15-20 HRs.  Now seems like 30-35 HR potential, but hits .250 with tons of Ks. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed. The last guy that I can think of that was this much much different than how they were touted was Brian Matusz.  he was supposed to have impeccable control with an unbelievable change up. We never saw any of that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He hasn’t been that player since Delmarva.  This one has more upside but I wonder if both versions had trouble with off speed stuff and it just hadn’t surfaced yet.   If he can ever adjust to the different speeds he COULD be something.   It is probably the biggest weakness of most minor leaguers making the transition.  Westburg still struggles with it.   Mayo seems pretty good with it though.   The optimist in me says it’s just a matter of time and repetition.

Maybe its just me but I plan to just enjoy the fact that baseball is back and leave the worrying behind.  This is the best team we've had going into a season in a loooooong time, why not enjoy it instead of worrying about the couple/few things that might/could go wrong?

My main concern is our starting pitching and my confusion with that is why Elias would let a disproven accusation keep him from taking a flier on a proven talent who is pitching extremely well right now in Trevor Bauer.

Sign him to an incentive laden deal and let’s see what he can do. 

If you try to tell me that you’d rather see Cole Irvin start a game against the yankees over Bauer, you aren’t being honest with yourself!

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

While I think the Yankees will give him the most money and he'll sign there, I would not be surprised to see the Orioles make a run for Jordan Montgomery once the season starts. Especially if he's willing to do a 1-2 year deal with an opt out similar to Snell, but for less money.

I got a chance to listen to Bowden and Jim Duquette on Sirius earlier today. They both would like to see the Orioles go after him. Bowden brought up the new owner angle. 

Bowden did mention he heard the Orioles as well as some others as a team interested. He also said he thinks he signs this week. Said he is hearing Boston and NYY are supposed to be the teams most aggressive and he will get a longer deal and not a deal like Snell. 

My only area of concern is management playing it cheap and acting as if the team is a year or 2 away from playoff contention. 

And so far that is exactly what they are doing other then the Burnes trade.  

Makes zero sense to me as far as what they are doing for their OD roster.

I’m felling ok about the pen. I think if the pen has issues it will be due to the SP struggling. 

I love our lineup. Love the youth angle. Plus obviously the depth at AAA. Mullins did not have a great spring. Even Hollander on the radio broadcast today mentioned his bat. If we were to have any position player issues would come from the OF.  

I think Kremer is a kind of a wildcard. I don’t think his floor is real low but his ceiling isn’t that high either. If he can just be a dependable 3/4 starter that eats innings it will be a big help. Wells I think is all up to health. Irvin becomes more important if any of the top 4 struggle. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Maybe it’s just me but I plan to just enjoy the fact that baseball is back and leave the worrying behind.  This is the best team we've had going into a season in a loooooong time, why not enjoy it instead of worrying about the couple/few things that might/could go wrong?

I honestly think this era has a chance to be the best since 66-71. Harder to make WS now and easier to make playoffs. 

Should at least be similar to the 77-83 Orioles. Just have to hope the club gets as many rolls of the dice as possible