2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

54 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm fascinated by stuff like this. Like, does Burnes go to Adley and outright tell him he's more comfortable with McCann? Is it unspoken and Hyde handles it? But then if so, if you're Adley wouldn't you rather Burnes tell you himself? It's interesting. I've never played baseball, so I wonder how stuff like that is handled behind the scenes. Not suggesting there's any drama, I'm just curious how it's communicated or if it just isn't. 

I think there’s unspoken drama.  Rutschman has to resent it on some level.  Burnes had to be the instigator.  Most likely Burnes had McCann talk to Rutschman before they brought the idea to Hyde or they could have talked to Hyde first.  I don’t know but I don’t like it.  Never liked the personal catcher thing.   Is Burnes going to request who plays 2B and LF when he pitches?

• Like 1

I still think they go with McCann on days Burnes pitches because they figure they will need slightly fewer runs to win vs. the other guys on the staff.  IE use the best/most consistent pitcher’s outings as a chance to rest your guys and still have a good chance to win.  If you throw Kremer and his 4.32 era you’re gonna need a stronger lineup to score some runs. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think there’s unspoken drama.  Rutschman has to resent it on some level.  Burnes had to be the instigator.  Most likely Burnes had McCann talk to Rutschman before they brought the idea to Hyde or they could have talked to Hyde first.  I don’t know but I don’t like it.  Never liked the personal catcher thing.   Is Burnes going to request who plays 2B and LF when he pitches?

I do for knuckleball pitchers.

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

I still think they go with McCann on days Burnes pitches because they figure they will need slightly fewer runs to win vs. the other guys on the staff.  IE use the best/most consistent pitcher’s outings as a chance to rest your guys and still have a good chance to win.  If you throw Kremer and his 4.32 era you’re gonna need a stronger lineup to score some runs. 

Is there a reason that strategy wasn’t in place all through April?

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I kid. I kid :) 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Is there a reason that strategy wasn’t in place all through April?

If I had to guess it’s because Adley didn’t need the rest in April.  They need to work together a little bit, Adley will be catching him in the playoffs.  

What is this like 5-6 starts in a row?  That's a trend I suppose, but not all trends really mean anything.  McCann starts 1-2 times spread out per week, so does Burnes, why not pair it up?  Makes sense to me.

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Why can’t the media do its job and ask about it? All these clowns ever ask is “how big of a win was this?”

I do agree w/ this.  I guess media guys who like to ask real questions don't last long, they move on to bigger cities/gigs.  No doubt these guys (managers, etc) have it much easier here than they do in a place like NY.

Burnes does have a 1.38 ERA with McCann behind the plate the last four starts.  Why mess with what’s working, at least for the moment?  Adley’s going to take off two days a week in any event.