Kyle Stowers 2024

Jagwar

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Would you like to place a bet on Stowers posting a .924 OPS the rest of the way?  I’ll take the under.  

ZiPS updates its rest of season projections every day, incorporating the latest data for the current season.   Here’s what it spits out:

Santander .778

Mullins .714

Hays .727

Cowser .711

Stowers .735

I’m not saying these are perfect and that there’s not some serious risk that Hays and Mullins will continue to suck at he the plate.  But the analysis is more complicated than just looking at the current stat lines or watching a slumping player on TV and concluding he sucks.

What was Gunnar's ZIPS projection in April of 2023? 

I'm not saying Stowers = Gunnar. But I am saying that it's possible he's a damn good player. 

I see no reason to overthink Kyle Stowers. He's a decent depth COF with pop who is starting to find himself at the ML level a little bit. I think how they're using him right now is appropriate. Hyde has to balance getting him some looks and trying to get Mullins/Hays/Santander enough ABs to get back on track. 

30 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

What was Gunnar's ZIPS projection in April of 2023? 

I'm not saying Stowers = Gunnar. But I am saying that it's possible he's a damn good player. 

Honestly, if he had a .735 OPS the rest of the season, I’d be pretty pleased.  That would be good for a 112 wRC+, pretty good for a rookie.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, if he had a .735 OPS the rest of the season, I’d be pretty pleased.  That would be good for a 112 wRC+, pretty good for a rookie.  

That would be really good for Stowers as he isn't likely to ever be a player who hits for average, but can still be valuable offensively.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Natty said:

Here is our outfield...

Santander   204/287/419/706

Mullins        188/233/331/564

Hays             164/225/205/430

Cowser          235/328/444/772

Stowers         389/368/556/924

It's a mathematical equation. Who would y'all play? 

I think there should be a rule that you’re not allowed to use OPS for an argument until a player gets to at least 100 ABs in a season. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

On 5/29/2024 at 1:05 AM, gtman55 said:

I agree. And I think he has a higher upside than Kjerstad because he's actually a very good fielder. He's a guy that I think deserves regular playing time.

You never know -- at least I never know -- but Kjerstad looks like he'll be able to hit if he gets the chance. I may be wrong about this, too, but he also strikes me as a guy who, with some work, could become a decent corner OFer. Has that effort been made, and if so what's the outcome look like? Is such an effort in progress? I don't want the time I've spent learning to spell his name to be completely wasted. 

Some of these things make me wonder what kind of instruction is going on in the MiL system. Exhibit A would be Cowser's apparent lack of understanding of where to throw the ball from the OF and/or inability to get it there with a little accuracy. Everybody makes a defensive mistake once in a while, but I would have thought an OF-only guy would have learned that stuff inside out and upside-down by the time he got promoted. 

Re: Cowser’s throwing. How much has he really played COF in his career? I suspect he’s essentially been in CF growing up, in college, and in minors rather than left/rightfield in MLB where throwing angles and cutoffs completely different than CF.

36 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Re: Cowser’s throwing. How much has he really played COF in his career? I suspect he’s essentially been in CF growing up, in college, and in minors rather than left/rightfield in MLB were throwing angles and cutoffs completely different than CF.

Cowser was still playing some third base when he was a freshman in college. I don’t know where he was playing during high school, but given that he was playing some third as a freshman, I assume he was probably playing on the dirt a fair amount in high school.

38 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Re: Cowser’s throwing. How much has he really played COF in his career? I suspect he’s essentially been in CF growing up, in college, and in minors rather than left/rightfield in MLB where throwing angles and cutoffs completely different than CF.

He played corners about 30% of the time in the minors.  But is throwing to home plate different from the different spots?  I’d say arguably the corners are easier.  The mound isn’t in the way. 

3 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I think there should be a rule that you’re not allowed to use OPS for an argument until a player gets to at least 100 ABs in a season. 

Agreed. But at this rate Stowers will not get 100 AB this year. Lets give him 100 at bats in a row against all pitchers and see if he can hit.

We already know what Hays, Mullins and Santander can do. 

• Upvote 1

Re: Cowser's throwing...

That is some of the sorriest throws I have seen, especially very important throws.

But...We already know Mullins has a candy arm. And so does MLB they run on him at every opportunity. 

How is Stower's arm?  I have no idea. Asking if someone watched him throw to the bases in the minors.

45 minutes ago, Natty said:

Re: Cowser's throwing...

That is some of the sorriest throws I have seen, especially very important throws.

But...We already know Mullins has a candy arm. And so does MLB they run on him at every opportunity. 

How is Stower's arm?  I have no idea. Asking if someone watched him throw to the bases in the minors.

Stowers has a solid arm. Not outstanding, but solid. 

Just my own opinion, but I have plenty of doubts about Stowers ability to hit enough to be a viable option to start long term.  As a bench guy? I can see that though it may be elsewhere.  He's a bit older for a 'prospect', but solid enough in the field, good power, limited hit ability.  Not that I'm saying anyone is advocating for him long term.

14 minutes ago, ChipTait said:
BAL 11 22 2 8 4 0 0 6 0 7 0 0 .364 .348 .545 .893

Can someone explain how Stowers's OBP is lower than his batting average?

It's because he had a sacrifice.    That does not count in batting average but it does count  for OBP.

• Upvote 2