Craig Kimbrel 2024

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Orioles were able to close out wins this week without him, so hopefully it convinces Hyde to not just go to Kimbrel by default when it's a save opportunity.

Avoiding back to back appearances needs to be a priority.

He can probably do some back to backs, but not 3 in 4 days.  If he goes back to back, he needs at least 2 days off.

I'm thinking that Suarez can be that extra high leverage arm the O's need.  Someone who can take some of the closing pressure off Kimbrel.  No, Hyde, the closer doesn't have to get every save.  I hate when Hyde uses every high leverage arm in a single game then the next game you just have the B squad. 

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm thinking that Suarez can be that extra high leverage arm the O's need.  Someone who can take some of the closing pressure off Kimbrel.  No, Hyde, the closer doesn't have to get every save.  I hate when Hyde uses every high leverage arm in a single game then the next game you just have the B squad. 

Count me as so one who wants to see this as well.  Suarez looks like something to me.  The bullpen suddenly looks promising. 

Posted (edited)

Kimbrel is fine.  Just use him every 3 days or so.  No back to backs.

Put the players in the best situations to be successful.

CK with rest?  Good

CK back to back?  He is just too old at this point.  Nothing wrong with that.

Is what it is.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Upvote 1

I too think he’ll be fine and continue to contribute but I just don’t understand why he was used tonight. Bullpen had to cover a mere 2 innings.  Why have him go back to back unless absolutely necessary??  

Im guessing Hyde learned something tonight.  

Hopefully this week has shown Hyde that we should go by the hot hand/matchups to close games. It doesn't have to be your designated guy who gets all the chances no matter what. Webb, Coulombe, Kimbrel, and Cano all have a save this week. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, scottbbfm said:

I too think he’ll be fine and continue to contribute but I just don’t understand why he was used tonight. Bullpen had to cover a mere 2 innings.  Why have him go back to back unless absolutely necessary??  

Hoping he did learn that back-to-backs ain't happening. I have no idea how much Kimbrel's ego/quest to keep moving up on the saves list plays into this. Seems obvious a lesser workload is needed.

28 minutes ago, scottbbfm said:

We'll see, but I think so too.  Pulling Kimbrel tonight was a bit out of character.

47 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

CK with rest?  Good

Is what it is.

Kind of how I see it.  This isn’t ideal, but Hyde will need to adjust.  

48 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

CK with rest?  Good

Is what it is.

This is the 4th time he has went back to back.  The previous 3 he has 3 innings 0baserunners and 4 strikeouts so not like this is a continuous problem.  Right now he has no command and his stuff nit good enough anymore unless he has the command.  Hopefully just little blip and he gets it figured out we will need him through the year.  

12 hours ago, bpilktree said:

This is the 4th time he has went back to back.  The previous 3 he has 3 innings 0baserunners and 4 strikeouts so not like this is a continuous problem.  Right now he has no command and his stuff nit good enough anymore unless he has the command.  Hopefully just little blip and he gets it figured out we will need him through the year.  

His command looked fine on Friday night.  

I just think Hyde is going to need to be careful with him.  I don’t believe he can never go back to back, but it should be done sparingly.   And on those nights, better have a plan B like Hyde did last night.