Brandon Hyde 2024

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Who knows how Burnes pitches in the counterfactual with Adley catching. I'm OK with starting McCann but you have to pinch hit for him if we're down and bunt with RISP, imo. 

That’s fair. If someone would have told you before the game that McCann would start and go 0-3, but Burnes would go 8+ with 1 R allowed, you take it every day. Just sucks he had 2 very important AB’s and the results were not remotely surprising. 

20 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

A bunt or a ground ball to the right side or a slow grounder any where or fly ball. (see how KC did it) could have worked in the 3rd. PHing for McCann in the 5th would have caused us to give up DH I believe since Adley was DH. If that is true, not a good startegy for the 5th inning. Tis why using one of your two catchers as a DH can be a problem at times. McCann just didn't come close to being a productive hitter either time. And he wasn't alone throughout the game - just more obvious. 

Bot. 5th is early for sure, but you have a deep bench in the playoffs. We pinch hit for McCann, Adley goes to C. McCann's spot came up once more and you would have to pinch hit for him again, so just burns one extra bat. I think that is worth it when you have a RISP opportunity and you are down against a good pitcher. I see why Hyde didn't do it, but that would have been my move. 

I feel more strongly about bunting in the 3rd. PH in the 5th was more of a judgment call but I would have done it. 

You lose your DH in the fifth, your pitcher is the batter in that spot. Burnes. I can see why Hyde wasn't ready to go that route while Burne was dealing. Secondly, McCann could have moved the runner over a number of ways besides bunt. Bunting is iffy also. He just didn't even come close to getting the bat on the ball. We lost the game because of pathetic hitting - pure and simple.

11 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Adley is a better blocker, has more CS above average, is a better framer, and has a quicker pop time. Not that he’s great, but McCann is awful. Out of 43 players with more than 200 PA’s as a catcher, Fangraphs only has Wong and Campusano as providing less defensive value than McCann.

Adley is the worst pitch framer I have ever watched on tv. Those numbers you are reading and choosing to believe are wrong. 

3 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

You’re wrong. I’m sorry 

Think we have enough stats to show that McCann is worse at framing than Adley by a couple of runs. They’re both bad.

Was watching yesterday, and some of the strikes (actually called a strike luckily for McCann!) you’d see McCann lazily catch the ball against a lefty but let the pitches movement take it well out of the zone and away from the hitter. 

And it’s true. If we look at McCann’s zone readings, he’s awful at low inside and outside pitches. He’s decently good at low/middle pitches. Adley’s framing issues are all on the low pitches, but he’s pretty solid middle and on high pitches. As you can imagine that’s not great for sinker ballers or guys that live low in the zone.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well things like facts and evidence says you are the wrong one…but I have never seen you care about that in your time on here, so I doubt you will care now. 

Oh I’m deffintely top tier in here when it comes to common sense and actually understanding what I’m watching.

• Haha 1