Enrique Bradfield Jr. 2024

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Bradfield’s season has gone a little differently than I expected.  My big question going in was, could he get enough extra base hits to keep his ISO at .100 or better?  I thought if he did, he’d have a solid BA and walk rate and put up a .280/.380/.380 type line.  But, I wasn’t sure the ISO would be there, in which case I thought his BA and walk rate would suffer.  

So far, he’s kept his ISO over .100 pretty consistently, even before his two recent homers.  But the BA and OBP haven’t been as good as I expected.  So far, .264/.337/.383.   By month, his ISO has gone .106, .108, .152.  

Anyway, still a lot of season to go, but I thought we’d see Bradfield on base a good bit more.  

You might have better luck looking at his ba/obp by month as well, not just his iso. I think you’d see a similar increase. He might have just had a slow start, or may have been adjusting to whatever the orioles asked him to change. Similar to horvath, and beavers previously. 

On 5/9/2024 at 7:28 PM, RZNJ said:

Bradfield has a tendency to be aggressive on the bases to the point of being reckless.  He reminds me of a little leaguer who just keeps running until someone tags him out.

He led off the game tonight with an absolute laser over the RF’s head one hop off the wall.   The RF played it clean and hit the cutoff man out in shallow center.   I’ve never seen a runner thrown out by that much.   Bradfield was halfway between 2nd and 3rd when the 3B caught the ball.   Solid hit but it was an embarrassing display of base running.

33 stole bases.  8 CS.  Very good.  Not elite.  Doesn’t count pickoffs where he got tagged out at first.  I would love to know how many that number is.   

Tonight.  First inning.

Single

Enrique Bradfield Jr. singles on a fly ball to left fielder Jared McKenzie. Enrique Bradfield Jr. out at 2nd on the throw, left fielder Jared McKenzie to second baseman Viandel Pena. 

1 out

Just saying.  He may have elite speed.  I don’t think he’s an elite base runner.  Yet.    Sure, he’s learning his limitations.   The problem, IMO, is he doesn’t think he has any.

@RZNJ — while I admittedly chuckled at the “running bases like a little leaguer” comment, a couple things to consider

• Kenny Lofton (who most certainly was elite base runner) had milb seasons where SB% was 63% (40 SBs to 23 CS) and another with 16 CS.  Juan Pierre also was sub 80% success rate with seasons where CS 19 times.
  • The O’s are known to preach/teach aggressiveness on the bases, so perhaps the team is telling Bradfield to run rampant so O’s brass can learn his limitations?

Either way, the milb is for development and I wouldn’t be too concerned about recklessness on the bases for Bradfield.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Say O! said:

@RZNJ — while I admittedly chuckled at the “running bases like a little leaguer” comment, a couple things to consider

• Kenny Lofton (who most certainly was elite base runner) had milb seasons where SB% was 63% (40 SBs to 23 CS) and another with 16 CS.  Juan Pierre also was sub 80% success rate with seasons where CS 19 times.
  • The O’s are known to preach/teach aggressiveness on the bases, so perhaps the team is telling Bradfield to run rampant so O’s brass can learn his limitations?

Either way, the milb is for development and I wouldn’t be too concerned about recklessness on the bases for Bradfield.

New rules.  Everyone on Aberdeen is stealing bases.  Horvath is 20 for 20.  Josenberger and Etzel had lots of steals with better success rates.  Just saying.  You’d expect Bradfield to be head of the class.   80 runner.  80!

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

New rules.  Everyone on Aberdeen is stealing bases.  Horvath is 20 for 20.  Josenberger and Etzel had lots of steals with better success rates.  Just saying.  You’d expect Bradfield to be head of the class.   80 runner.  80!

Small distinction — 80 grade is on speed tool (not necessarily baserunning nor success rate).  Bobby Witt Jr has 80 grade tool and 100 percentile sprint speed while having 76% SB success rate last season.

Im not trying to be argumentative, I just wouldn’t get too worked up that Bradfield isn’t fully formed & polished at this stage of his milb career. 

1 minute ago, Say O! said:

Small distinction — 80 grade is on speed tool (not necessarily baserunning nor success rate).  Bobby Witt Jr has 80 grade tool and 100 percentile sprint speed while having 76% SB success rate last season.

Im not trying to be argumentative, I just wouldn’t get too worked up that Bradfield isn’t fully formed & polished at this stage of his milb career. 

My concern is that good base running is instinctual and his aren’t all that great.  Maybe.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Your statistical case is pretty convincing, but I hesitate to judge him harshly without having watched him play a lot.  

On 6/25/2024 at 8:56 PM, Frobby said:

Per Roch, Bradfield will miss several games with wrist tendinitis.  

Thanks for the update.  Can't shoot the messenger here.  

Hopefully, we can still get a look at EBJ in Bowie this year.  Aberdeen has a track record of slowing down all of our propsects to some degree, or at least having them put up their lowest OPS totals at any level.  Mostly.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for the update.  Can't shoot the messenger here.  

Hopefully, we can still get a look at EBJ in Bowie this year.  Aberdeen has a track record of slowing down all of our propsects to some degree, or at least having them put up their lowest OPS totals at any level.  Mostly.  

League average: .234/.329/.372

Bradfield: .258/.336/.363

Basically, he’s a league average hitter who’s a prolific base stealer and presumably a very good defender.  You could justify promoting him with that track record, but there’s certainly no rush.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Basically, he’s a league average hitter who’s a prolific base stealer and presumably a very good defender.  You could justify promoting him with that track record, but there’s certainly no rush.  

League average when most players at that level never reach the majors is not encouraging but he does have things to offer beyond the bat.

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good info.  Digging into it a little more I see that he has an .804 OPS at home.  Meaning, I don't know how much Aberdeen can be an excuse for him.   

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 2