Mike Baumann 2024

Frobby

Mike E has a problem hoarding assets. Baumann isn’t valueless, but it is inexplicable that someone with such limited value is kept over Povich(at least) who certainly wouldn’t be less valuable if used the same, and could potentially be more valuable.

But a DFA is losing him and for some reason that’s anathema to Mike

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Mike E has a problem hoarding assets. Baumann isn’t valueless, but it is inexplicable that someone with such limited value is kept over Povich(at least) who certainly wouldn’t be less valuable if used the same, and could potentially be more valuable.

But a DFA is losing him and for some reason that’s anathema to Mike

Povich is a starter. It makes no sense to bring him up and put him in Baumann’s role. Especially not in a short term situation when he’s pitching so well starting in Norfolk. 

also - it kind of feels like Baumann is just a placeholder. When wells and/or Grayson come back, there isn’t another logical move other than maybe option akin, who has pitched dramatically better than Baumann. But I can’t imagine Baumann surviving both wells and Grayson coming back without another injury. 

I don’t think Elias is doing anything crazy other than holding onto assets with value until it’s necessary to let them go. Is Tate probably better in the long term? Yeah. But he’s also coming off a year long injury and they don’t want to overuse him. Let them use his option for the flexibility, manage his innings, let Baumann either prove he can rediscover early 2023 form or get dfa’d in the coming weeks while eating whatever innings we need him to. Not like he’s costing us games at the moment.

Some grudging credit where it’s due.  Mike Baumann threw 2.1 scoreless last night and kept us in the game.  He has his good outings that make you wonder why he’s not better than he is overall.  Yesterday was one of those. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some grudging credit where it’s due.  Mike Baumann threw 2.1 scoreless last night and kept us in the game.  He has his good outings that make you wonder why he’s not better than he is overall.  Yesterday was one of those. 

IMG_1001.gif.b476f1cb3495c5f0cff16cb60d7494dd.gif

What I say to Baumann after every such outing^

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed. Baumann is the one member of the current roster who drives me to drink — and I don’t drink much anymore. Yet, he goes yesterday and is absolutely spot on when the team needed him to get some key outs.

On 5/5/2024 at 9:52 PM, Safelykept said:

Sans Injuries, with Bradish and Means being back and Ramirez being DFA and Tate Being optioned< HE not only has to worry about GRod but also as you said Wells> Does Akin option save him? No. Hes the next one gone.The old roster crunch.

Lucky for him, I read yesterday that Wells hasn't even started throwing yet.  Sounds like a long time until he's back.

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Lucky for him, I read yesterday that Wells hasn't even started throwing yet.  Sounds like a long time until he's back.

So what about grayson? Akin to AAA or Buamann possibly Perez DFA, lot guys lined up to pitch for us.

When Gray Rod comes back, its gonna have to be a Mike Baumann DFA, unless Elias is working the phones for a trade. The Norfolk Shuttle isn't as much a thing now with all these arms without options

You'd feel like even Baumann would have to get you a lottery ticket from a team desperate for bullpen help?

1 hour ago, ScGO&#x27;s said:

When Gray Rod comes back, its gonna have to be a Mike Baumann DFA, unless Elias is working the phones for a trade. The Norfolk Shuttle isn't as much a thing now with all these arms without options

You'd feel like even Baumann would have to get you a lottery ticket from a team desperate for bullpen help?

I’m not convinced it would be Baumann to go; Perez has not looked good at all.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

You know we’re good when we talk about DFA’ing a reliever like it’s a forgone conclusion that has a 4.02 ERA and can run it up there to 98 mph.

He’s had a solid May from glancing at the numbers. 0.00 ERA in 5.1 IP and only a 1.16 WHIP. SSS but he threw a lot the first month. That’s what did him in mid season last year. We used him too much. Just like any reliever would break down. 

The Norfolk shuttle hasn’t existed this season because how good the overall pen has been. Only Heasley for a short stint. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I am pretty close to done with Perez. 

No reason both Perez and Baumann can’t go eventually.  GRod and then, hopefully, Wells coming back.   

Baumann even on a good day managed to throw one over McCann and to the backstop.  I also thought he got away with a few middle/middle pitches.  He throws some great pitches but you just know the mistake pitch is right around the next corner or a walk.

I feel the same way about Perez.  His fastball is 96-97 but hittable.  He’ll throw 1 good breaking pitch per outing.  The rest are balls or hangers.

Love having Suarez, the strike thrower.  Wells is another strike thrower.   The only question is who goes to the pen when GRod comes back but whoever it is will be more reliable than Baumann or Perez.

• Upvote 2