Holliday optioned, McKenna recalled

Brian88

22 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Should Holliday be allowed to keep #7 if/when he is called back up?

Maybe he can call Ripken up and beg.  Cal should say you get the number of the Oriole you hit like.  Bill Ripken.  Give him number 3.  Dont give him number 7 till he hits big league pitching. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

What I really want to know is… how mad is Matt?

His mother will calm things down.  "After all you USED to be a MLB player at 20 nothing wrong with that"

Edited by Gurgi

45 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I'm only partway through the DVR, but MASN's 1983 remembering program had some of the game footage from Tippy's three pickoffs inning.    The show reminded me Toronto led the Orioles in late August at that time it occurred.

When Tippy was talking about I didn't walk guys on purpose, they showed one of the batters that inning reaching on a ground ball up the middle to 2B Lowenstein.   Lowenstein ranged right decently and even gloved it on the short CF grass, but then looked like he didn't really know what to do.

Some may not know, but Lowenstein actually was an infielder/outfielder in the minors and played 70 games at 2B at the major league level before that game, so it wasn't a huge stretch for him to be there. He just hadn't played 2B since 1975.

5 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

3 things.. 1st.. why not give JH the weekend against the A's to see if he turns it around? He's been better lately. If he sucks all weekend then make the move before the NYY series. Stupid timing. 2nd.. They should have just brought McKenna up the other day instead of Kjerstad. As a 4th OF, HK is not gonna get regular ABs, and even more so now w/ McKenna here. Lastly.. why not Mayo or Norby? Get ready for lots of Urias and Mateo. And full on meltdown on this board if McKenna is penciled in at 2nd. And I actually don't hate McKenna as much as many others here do..

The chances that Holiday would have a breakout series this weekend were very slim. His confidence is shot, he needs to go back to AAA to regain his swagger.

Elias is right, the Orioles need to keep pace with the NYY and can't afford to continue this experiment, even for three more days.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

We have on extra infielder.   Suppose Mateo PR for someone in the 9th inning of  tie game but doesn't stay in the game.  In the 10th, Urias gets HBP and has to leave the game.  That kind of rare situation.   That's why they call it an emergency.   Not sure why you're having a conniption over it.

You're right, it's no biggie to give McKenna some reps there. I just got triggered by the old trope, "You have to carry a third catcher for emergencies." If McKenna's needed as fourth-stringer at 2B, doesn't every position need backups four deep? 

1 hour ago, now said:

You're right, it's no biggie to give McKenna some reps there. I just got triggered by the old trope, "You have to carry a third catcher for emergencies." If McKenna's needed as fourth-stringer at 2B, doesn't every position need backups four deep? 

You say 4 deep in 2B.  I say 1 deep in infielders with McKenna as the emergency guy.