What are you expecting from John Means today?

Just now, owknows said:

Not suggesting that they work.

Just that they are part of the culture of the board, and that it is surprising that this escapes people more immersed in OH than I am.

I get that it's schtick. It doesn't bother me, but the question asked is always the worst case in the OP. 

I don’t get too caught up on expectations for a given game.  Pretty much every starter in the league has five dominant starts and five stinkers per season in them, and you never know when to expect them.   

I’ll go on the record. I think we get a quality start from Means. The level of that quality to be determined. But Means is going to keep us in way more games than he loses for us and I think today will be a prime example of that. 

1 hour ago, ChipTait said:

An 11-inning complete game, with four hit batsmen, but zero earned runs.

And the O's walk it off with a PH double by Corbin Burnes.

So you think he just took some acid?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Shocking to me that some people still haven't figured out what Roy is about.

Roy’s about panicking and expecting the worst (but with passion!  God bless him).

The reverse jinx thing is a happy accident based on the Os being an ACTUAL GOOD TEAM so that negative predictions, more often than not, prove false. 

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think the 7 inning three hitter with no walks or runs was incredible last week against the Reds.Its just not sustainable. I'm preparing for a slight regress. I'll say 5 and a third , 3 runs, 5 hits 2 walks. We need to score more runs to keep our bullpen from having meltdowns late in the game. Hopefully, we'll score enough runs for Means to keep him competitive today.

Reverse John Means George Constanza Roy Firestone lock bet of the week?

8 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Roy’s about panicking and expecting the worst (but with passion!  God bless him).

The reverse jinx thing is a happy accident based on the Os being an ACTUAL GOOD TEAM so that negative predictions, more often than not, prove false. 

Exactly, you won't ever see Roy making negative predictions about a bad Orioles team.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don't think the AAA and Major League numbers are comparable at all since it is not a one-to-one translation. RF could be open in 2025 with a possible/likely Santander departure in FA.
    • I was just looking for you to acknowledge that it’s possible, not likely, that Holliday could wind up in CF, especially if Mayo were to come up and do well defensively and offensively at 3B.   You are/were stubborn.
    • I think you need to look to trade one of them during the offseason and O'Hearn is the most logical one based upon handedness.
    • I don't think was a good idea nor the wisest use of his development time, especially as it became quite apparent that Gunnar was the best SS in the org. But the Orioles don't always operate in a way that makes sense to me (and who am I but some random yahoo on a message board?). So there's that.
    • Yeah, it is not a proven fact. It’s a way more complicated question than a simple statistical analysis is capable of evaluating. There is going to be an optimal strikeout rate for every pitcher.  Above that rate, they are going to be looking to be too fine with their pitches and miss too much. Below that rate, they are going to be giving up outs for hits.  15 years ago you could point to some studies in the public sphere and be pretty confident that major-league teams were behind. There is no chance that you can say that now  Even writes at places like Fangraphs routinely say there are clubs that are way ahead of the SABR community.  The Orioles being as data driven as they are likely are one of these teams. 
    • If acknowledgment/validation was all you were looking for, I would have done that weeks ago and spared both of us all this back and forth...lol
    • It seems we have room for two of these four to be the starting 1B/DH the majority of the time. If it weren't for O'Hearn and Mountcastle, Mayo and Kjerstad would probably be full time MLB players, or very close, by now.  O'Hearn (FA next year with team option): .926 April, .653 May, .783 overall (129 OPS+), historically can't hit LHP Mountcastle: .836 April, .754 May, .808 overall (134 OPS+), slight splits Kjerstad (AAA): 1.119 April, .918 May, 1.103 overall Mayo (AAA): 1.059 April, injured most of May, .964 overall Overall both O'Hearn and Mountcastle have been productive, but O'Hearn had a pretty weak May and can't hit LHP. Seems like he should be on a tighter leash than Mountcastle. I think June is a big month for O'Hearn with Kjerstad knocking on the door, and maybe Mayo too. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now