What are you expecting, or what would you be pleased with for Cade Povich tonight.

I kind of thought if Povich (or anyone) was optioned today after his turn it might be Kade Strowd.     Have him step through any debut yips sometime during the Phillies series before Yankee Stadium.

In late May they sped up his cadence - he pitched May 19/21, May 29/31 and June 6/8.

A tougher Hyde conversation today if indeed OMAR keeps to an envisioned process of these 2 starts as a preplanned portion size for Povich moving through these 30 games in 31 days.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We can’t continue to be an arm short in the pen. 

We all know the 6 man rotation is not a long term thing.  Is the strategy not working?   Is the bullpen worn out more than when we have an extra guy?   Baker is the last man in the bullpen and hasn’t pitched yet.   So far, so good.  When it becomes a problem they’ll address it.   In the meantime, each starter gets extra rest and we have a 6 game winning streak.   Works for me.   For guys who make bad lineups and poor roster decisions, 45-22 seems okay.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I kind of thought if Povich (or anyone) was optioned today after his turn it might be Kade Strowd.     Have him step through any debut yips sometime during the Phillies series before Yankee Stadium.

In late May they sped up his cadence - he pitched May 19/21, May 29/31 and June 6/8.

A tougher Hyde conversation today if indeed OMAR keeps to an envisioned process of these 2 starts as a preplanned portion size for Povich moving through these 30 games in 31 days.

Kade Strowd has a 7.94 ERA and 1.82 WHIP at Norfolk.  I’d be worried whether he had the yips or not.   He’s not on the 40 man.  I vote no.

BTW, from someone who was a Povich skeptic  he looked great last night.    The curve in particular but also the fastball, cutter, sweeper/slider, changeup all had their moments.  In short, he had everything working and attacked the zone.  It just depends on how often that version shows up but he was very impressive.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We all know the 6 man rotation is not a long term thing.  Is the strategy not working?   Is the bullpen worn out more than when we have an extra guy?   Baker is the last man in the bullpen and hasn’t pitched yet.   So far, so good.  When it becomes a problem they’ll address it.   In the meantime, each starter gets extra rest and we have a 6 game winning streak.   Works for me.   For guys who make bad lineups and poor roster decisions, 45-22 seems okay.

They are not going to keep a 6 man rotation across an off day

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Kade Strowd has a 7.94 ERA and 1.82 WHIP at Norfolk.  I’d be worried whether he had the yips or not.   He’s not on the 40 man.  I vote no.

It has been 2 blowups in 11 AAA games.    We saw with Fujinami last year they will overlook baseball card stats if they like the pitch metrics.

As good as he's flashed, it doesn't seem like he would be completely out of consideration for a limited tactical role at some point.    We've already hit bringing Bryan Baker back.

I did note Hyde took a nice guy approach in his presser about Akin.    One of the previous blowups, he'd kind of called him out about middle middle pitches.    Last night it was Akin has a good fastball, Matt Olson is great and golly gee could Olson sit fastball after that uncompetitive slider.

Just now, Just Regular said:

It has been 2 blowups in 11 AAA games.    We saw with Fujinami last year they will overlook baseball card stats if they like the pitch metrics.

As good as he's flashed, it doesn't seem like he would be completely out of consideration for a limited tactical role at some point.    We've already hit bringing Bryan Baker back.

I did note Hyde took a nice guy approach in his presser about Akin.    One of the previous blowups, he'd kind of called him out about middle middle pitches.    Last night it was Akin has a good fastball, Matt Olson is great and golly gee could Olson sit fastball after that uncompetitive slider.

Gonzalez and Krook have been pitching well. Both are lefties. Krook is on the 40 man. I assume one, or both of them will be called up today.

Corbin Martin probably next to be DFA'd

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I know it’s just his second start, but the difference in command and poise(understandably) was night and day from his debut.

I thought his line from his first start was deceptive.  He wasn’t far from having a very decent outing.   But I’m glad to see him take it up a notch this time out.  

I’d still option him back to the minors today and call up a reliever.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d still option him back to the minors today and call up a reliever.  

Based on Hyde's response in the postgame presser compared to after his Toronto start, I think that is likely to happen.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

2 blowups and runs in 2 other outings.  4 of 11 outings giving up runs PLUS he’s not on the 40 man.  

As for Fuji, we got him on July 19.   The prior 30 days he had a 2.77 ERA.  In 11 innings he had 0 walks and 13 K’s.  So as much as they might have loved his pitch shapes they were hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.