Heyman on deadline targets

Sports Guy

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get idea that there is no reason to look for a starter and if reports are true, the Os clearly don’t believe it either.

Starter is, without question, a need for next year. You have no idea if Bradish will hold up all season. Injuries happen. Will Suarez remain good?

The goal should be to get this team as good as possible for October and 2025.  

That’s fine so long as the pitcher’s not a rental.  It’s just not our no. 1 priority for the 2024 stretch run.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s fine so long as the pitcher’s not a rental.  It’s just not our no. 1 priority for the 2024 stretch run.  

Yea I agree with that and I wouldn’t trade for a #4 starter either.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I would look to include Kremer in a deal, which likely would be appealing to the team trading for him.  Cheap, solid starter. Established MLers are almost always involved in bigger trades.

This would work if you can find someone better who is available and plays for a team that’s going to be reasonable in their asking price. 

6 minutes ago, dystopia said:

This would work if you can find someone better who is available and plays for a team that’s going to be reasonable in their asking price. 

Right. Kremer in a Luzardo deal makes sense. Not sure who else it makes sense for without knowing who is available.  

The problem is, who else has to be in that deal or any other deal?

There are plenty of reliever targets where we don’t have to give up the best of our best prospects and those are the deals I would go after.

But if it’s a guy like Luzardo or Robert?  Then what do you do and who do you give up?

I stand by the thought that there is no one on the market that I’m dealing any of our top 3 prospects for.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right. Kremer in a Luzardo deal makes sense. Not sure who else it makes sense for without knowing who is available.  

The problem is, who else has to be in that deal or any other deal?

There are plenty of reliever targets where we don’t have to give up the best of our best prospects and those are the deals I would go after.

But if it’s a guy like Luzardo or Robert?  Then what do you do and who do you give up?

I stand by the thought that there is no one on the market that I’m dealing any of our top 3 prospects for.

Luzardo hasn’t been very good this year and was on the IL recently with an elbow issue. Too risky for my taste given what Miami will want in return. 

• Upvote 2

We should trade for Crochet. He has already exceeded his previous innings pitched. We put him in the bullpen for a couple of months to strengthen the pen and save his arm. Build him back up to start for the stretch run and playoffs if needed. Next year, when Bautista is back, he becomes a top tier starter again.

He solves our bullpen concerns for this year and starts next year.

15 hours ago, Philip said:

Let’s overpay a bit for Crotchett. No reason not to buy the best

He is 28 innings past his career high IP for a season…it’s mid June. Don’t get me wrong, I like him. But I’d be very wary of trading for him and relying on him down the stretch as he will pretty easily get close to 3x his career high for IP shy of an injury or getting shut down / sent to the pen. 

I really want another starter. I don't have full confidence that all 5 of Burnes, Bradish, GRod, Irvin and Suarez are going to remain healthy for the rest of the year. 

However, I think the team needs back end relievers more. 

2 hours ago, Mt. Holly said:

We should trade for Crochet. He has already exceeded his previous innings pitched. We put him in the bullpen for a couple of months to strengthen the pen and save his arm. Build him back up to start for the stretch run and playoffs if needed. Next year, when Bautista is back, he becomes a top tier starter again.

He solves our bullpen concerns for this year and starts next year.

I’ve heard much worse ideas. Maybe we could package Kremer in a 3 way deal with some other team and keep Crochet in the rotation. Would probably need to be a 3 way deal since Kremer to the White Sox makes no sense on their end, they need prospects. SG would definitely approve, lol. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I really want another starter. I don't have full confidence that all 5 of Burnes, Bradish, GRod, Irvin and Suarez are going to remain healthy for the rest of the year. 

However, I think the team needs back end relievers more. 

I wonder if they’re just giving Povich a look to see whether he’d be able to fill a spot in the event of an injury to one of the others. 

baseballtradevalues.com values Basallo and Crochet about the same.  Would you trade Basallo for Crochet straight up?  That's a tough sell.  I'd also wonder if the White Sox might value a multi-player package over a single prospect.  Norby and Mayo would be similar value according to their valuations.  Depending on whether you think Mayo can stick in COF, I think you could also make a pretty strong argument that Westburg's emergence will make it a little harder for Mayo to have a MLB position with the Orioles.

I kind of dislike having this conversation because Rutschman's such a good player, but several areas of Rutschman's defense have fallen off slightly this year and I'm wondering how long he will stick at the position.  I feel like we might regret trading Basallo down the road for that reason.

Edited by Hallas

9 hours ago, Hallas said:

baseballtradevalues.com values Basallo and Crochet about the same.  Would you trade Basallo for Crochet straight up?  That's a tough sell.  I'd also wonder if the White Sox might value a multi-player package over a single prospect.  Norby and Mayo would be similar value according to their valuations.  Depending on whether you think Mayo can stick in COF, I think you could also make a pretty strong argument that Westburg's emergence will make it a little harder for Mayo to have a MLB position with the Orioles.

I kind of dislike having this conversation because Rutschman's such a good player, but several areas of Rutschman's defense have fallen off slightly this year and I'm wondering how long he will stick at the position.  I feel like we might regret trading Basallo down the road for that reason.

No. And having said that, Basallo is not known for his defense as a catcher either. He's known as a power hitter. Adley is by far the better catcher. Basallo has been compared to Yordan Alvarez of the Astros. Great hitter. He's in the lineup for his bat and you just hope he can play adequate defense. Any expectations of him usurping Rutschman as an every day catcher is wishful thinking. He could still develop as a catcher because he's young, in which case he could become something like the Royals' Salvador Perez.

But I would in no circumstances trade Basallof for Chrochet.