How important is this Yankees series, really?

Frobby

This is an Orioles Hangout!

It’s important, because it’s the dreaded MFY. The Evil Empire. It’s the #$@!*&@^*! Yankees.

All wins are extra glorious, and the beer tastes colder against the pin-stripers and losses are always a wee bit more bitter.

Rich against poor, good against evil, and every battle is a chance to make the world a better place.

Edited by Orioles West
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Malike said:

It's a series in mid-June, it's no more important than any other series this month, in my opinion. 

It's certainly not a "must-win" series or anything like that and I get what you mean here. It's not as crucial as it's made out to be in some outlets...but, it is certainly more important than other series this month. 

A 2-1 series win puts us up in the season series 5-2, meaning that we would only need two more wins to secure a tie-breaker. A sweep would be even better. There are implications beyond those with the Braves series or the Phillies series so it's a bit more important. Add in the fact we could be anywhere from 1.5 games up in the standings to 4.5 back depending on the results, it is important. But it's still not a must win or end of the world if we lose or even get swept, but it does have a sizeable impact. 

I would say it's an important series. The most important we've had so far this season and probably the most important we will have until we face them again just before the All-Star break. 

1 hour ago, Orioles West said:

This is an Orioles Hangout!

It’s important, because it’s the dreaded MFY. The Evil Empire. It’s the #$@!*&@^*! Yankees.

All wins are extra glorious, and the beer tastes colder against the pin-stripers and losses are always a wee bit more bitter.

Rich against poor, good against evil, and every battle is a chance to make the world a better place.

You sonofabitch you talked me into it!  SWEEP OR BUST DAMN THE YANKEES!!!!

God I really do hate the Yankees. Let’s kick some ass. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I think everyone agrees that it's always great to beat the Yankees, just because they are the Yankees and winning games vs any team is important.  Let's say the O's, unfortunately, get swept, they will be 47-27 and 4.5 games out of first place. After 74 games last year, it looked like this. The Orioles didn't take first place from the Rays until July 20.

image.thumb.png.bc5d84250c20600e1024f6e2721ce84c.png

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think everyone agrees that it's always great to beat the Yankees, just because they are the Yankees and winning games vs any team is important.  Let's say the O's, unfortunately, get swept, they will be 47-27 and 4.5 games out of first place. After 74 games last year, it looked like this. The Orioles didn't take first place from the Rays until July 20.

image.thumb.png.bc5d84250c20600e1024f6e2721ce84c.png

Man, last year we had played 5 fewer games than TB at this point. This year we have played 3 fewer than the Yankees. Don't know if it's just the schedule or we have had more rain outs.

Edited by FlaO'sFan

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Its important because tiebereakers could come into play this year.

Yeah. If the Orioles go 2-1 would be up 5-2 with 6 to play. 

Play NYY at home July 12-14. Then at NYY Sept 24-26. Series in NY starts with 6 games left as that is second to last series of year. 

Be nice to go 4-2 next 6 and have season series won going into NY with 6 left. Hard to imagine at this point division will be wrapped by then. 

10 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

Man, last year we had played 5 fewer games than TB at this point. This year we have played 3 fewer than the Yankees. Don't know if it's just the schedule or we have had more rain outs.

I think it’s mainly been schedule. Last year I think Orioles had a ton of off days in June. This year do have 1 RO to make up vs TOR in a DH.  

If you have a competitive nature like me, then you're tempted to view this series as a mid-summer classic with a playoff atmosphere.

This series is a mid summer battle for the AL East Championship.

Yes, there will be more games over the course of the season, but to face your top rival directly gives you the best control over the outcome. The impact cannot be over stated. 

In terms of importance, this series is a 10 out of 10 for the month of June, and will directly affect the level of importance of the remaining 6 games in the season.

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Must win series.

We need to keep the streak on not losing a series to AL East opponent 

That is really the reason for you to consider something a " must-win"? 😂

It's a must win, I don't want my friends laughing at me Thursday at school. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If you have a competitive nature like me, then you're tempted to view this series as a mid-summer classic with a playoff atmosphere.

This series is a mid summer battle for the AL East Championship.

Yes, there will be more games over the course of the season, but to face your top rival directly gives you the best control over the outcome. The impact cannot be over stated. 

In terms of importance, this series is a 10 out of 10 for the month of June, and will directly affect the level of importance of the remaining 6 games in the season.

This series is advantage Yankees with the way the pitching matchups fall. If this were the playoffs it would look a lot differently. We'd love to win 2-3 or sweep here, but they have a pretty decent pitching advantage in this 3-game set. In any event, nothing that happens in this series is going to determine the rest of the season, so whatever.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I came up with a better way.  I’m in Grand Teton National Park with my family, and probably won’t even see the games.  

Such a beautiful place. Outside of Alaska, Jenny Lake is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever experienced.