Hmm… so about that qualifying offer to Santander?

sportsfan8703

Just now, RZNJ said:

Do you think Basallo does?

Depends on the team. If a team wants to/feels they are ready to compete right away, they probably will want Mayo. If they want a more delayed timeline like say OAK they probably would prefer Basallo.

Do you see it differently?

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t know who is available. Do you have a list of who is and who is not available? That way I won’t waste anymore of anyone’s time.

Pitchers on the White Sox, Marlins, Rockies, A’s, and Angels are available.  Have at it.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Depends on the team. If a team wants to/feels they are ready to compete right away, they probably will want Mayo. If they want a more delayed timeline like say OAK they probably would prefer Basallo.

Do you see it differently?

I don’t think either are available as long as those teams have a chance.   If they are out of it, it will just depend on which one they like better, position, LH vs RH, etc.   

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Is this an official list? Is there a source? Or is this speculation like what I’m doing?

It’s common sense.  Those teams have terrible records, no chance to make the playoffs, and need to upgrade the talent in their system by:

1.  Making 1 for multiple  prospects trades

2. Trading veterans with less than 2-3 years of service time

That doesn’t mean every player/pitcher on those teams is available but it’s a good place to start.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t know who is available. Do you have a list of who is and who is not available? That way I won’t waste anymore of anyone’s time.

I don't, but I would say it's probably pretty safe to assume that teams who are currently either in possession of a playoff spot (like the Cardinals) or within 2.5 games of one (like the Giants) aren't looking to trade their best pitchers right now.

Now maybe Gray becomes available if the Cardinals slip hard in the standings between now and July 30th, but Webb isn't going to be shopped even if the Giants absolutely crater over the next few weeks because trading that contract would be legitimate malfeasance on their GM's part. 

• Upvote 1

The comps are dumb, Tony is his own man, he’s not Mark Trumbo.  He’s been on the team a long time now and the organization knows who he is.  And you all are way overvaluing Kjersted, if he was that good he’d be in the Majors right now, and/or teams would be offering a lot for him in a trade.    The O’s are going to spend and Tony and his giant bat are well worth it. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

The comps are dumb, Tony is his own man, he’s not Mark Trumbo.  He’s been on the team a long time now and the organization knows who he is.  And you all are way overvaluing Kjersted, if he was that good he’d be in the Majors right now, and/or teams would be offering a lot for him in a trade.    The O’s are going to spend and Tony and his giant bat are well worth it. 

It could also be that Mike Elias overvalues Santander as an extension of his tendency to overvalue vets simply because they're vets.  I haven't completely made up my mind whether I believe that or not, but it's a dog's life for Kjerstad either way so it might not be a good idea to read too much into it.

In general (not all cases as there are always exceptions)....it is my belief that fans of any particular team tend to overrate their own players, and yet at the same time under rate and over rate opposing teams players.

In other words it is really really difficult to get into the heads of opposing teams management as far as how they value their own.

Which is why sometimes we make steals (for example the Erik Bedard trade), and other times we get ripped off.  For example the Glenn Davis trade.

IMO....based on my experience in horse racing and trying to value what a horse is worth, it is always better to buy/claim/trade for a proven commodity over a 'potential' commodity.

Which is why imo if the O's can trade Jackson Holiday this year for a boatload of proven pitching talent?  I would do it and not think twice about it. 

49 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

Mlb.com had Santander before this season as a top 100 player (86) in MLB.  Our minor leaguers are years from being that and we want to win now.  Also he looks amazing in the O’s Hawaiian shirt!  Pay that man!   

That is how I feel as well.  He is a proven commodity.  If we can trade a couple or a few of our 'potential' commodities to get pitching that could help us win a WS this year and/or the next?  Just by keeping AS and paying him an extra $5 M or so compared to now? 

Considering our pitching issues you do that all day and twice on Sunday. 

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If there'd only be a way for him to hit this well for the first two months of each season, we'd have an amazing player on our hands.  He's a notoriously slow starter, IIRC, this happens every year.

Apparently, he’s a notorious slow ender as well.  Career .666 OPS in April.  Career .645 OPS in Sept/Oct.

image.thumb.png.97d40bbfc1f52bae4ee711dfeb310fda.png

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Do you think Basallo does?

Yes. Joey Ortiz and DL Hall got us one. Basallo definitely could headline a deal for an ACE. Now we could argue who is the Ace? And how team much control does that Ace have left?

After a slow May of adjusting to being a freaking 19 year old in AA ball, he’s put up a .900 OPS once the weather got warm. I’m just going to go out on a very short limb and say that he probably puts up and OPS closer to .900 than .700 the rest of the way in AA this year.