I know nobody wants to hear this but......

vab

.....there may be just too much to fix here. Right now we're looking at a rotation with one true ace, a young talented SP but still developing, a good-looking rookie but a rookie and two guys who don't belong in anyone's starting rotation at this point. The bullpen is also missing it's best two guys right now and the one back-end guy they still have bears little resemblance to what he was most of last year. To fix all that in an extreme seller's market you're going to have to give up one and maybe two of your best prospects. It's a hard pill to swallow but I don't think it's worth it. This core is still really young wtih years to go before they reach free agency so it's not a do or die situation this year. Now I'm not saying don't do anything and if Elias can get the pieces without giving up a Basallo, Mayo or Holliday great but I'm totally against a desperate overpay. 

• Upvote 4

The part you are forgetting is that all teams have issues. Did Cole look good tonight ? HR city plus diminishing fastball velocity. Gil will throw how many innings this year? The Guardians look great, they gonna hit this way all year? CLE has rotation issues.  SEA can’t hit. 

You aren’t throwing your #5 in the playoffs. #4 not much. You don’t have to worry about Elias overpaying. It’s not his style and there is nothing to overpay for. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Malike said:

I mean, if they keep tanking they can sell Burnes at the deadline, he'd command a huge return. I'm sure they won't, but if they decide to punt the season they have pieces to bring legit guys back.

Santander would bring back some also, but wont be needed, they'll do a win 7 out of 10 soon and bounce back 

They can get a number 3 (and 4 if they want one) along with 2 good relievers without giving up Mayo/Holliday/Basallo. The question is if Elias is willing to make that many moves and gives up however many prospects it takes to get it done. The answer is he should. They have the best player in baseball, 2 other position players on pace for 5 WAR, another on pace for 4 WAR, three others on pace for 2.5-3 WAR, and then 3 top prospects that could potentially help in the 2nd half.

This also could be only year they have Burnes and they’re very unlikely to have someone as good as him next year. Their position players are good enough to win the World Series and with 3 moves (not blockbusters), they could have a pretty good 1-2-3 and a solid pen. We will see what he does. 

17 minutes ago, vab said:

.....there may be just too much to fix here. Right now we're looking at a rotation with one true ace, a young talented SP but still developing, a good-looking rookie but a rookie and two guys who don't belong in anyone's starting rotation at this point. The bullpen is also missing it's best two guys right now and the one back-end guy they still have bears little resemblance to what he was most of last year. To fix all that in an extreme seller's market you're going to have to give up one and maybe two of your best prospects. It's a hard pill to swallow but I don't think it's worth it. This core is still really young wtih years to go before they reach free agency so it's not a do or die situation this year. Now I'm not saying don't do anything and if Elias can get the pieces without giving up a Basallo, Mayo or Holliday great but I'm totally against a desperate overpay. 

Irvin still has an ERA under 4 and Suarez still has an ERA under 3. They’ve been awful lately, but to say they don’t belong in anyone’s rotation is laughable. 

• Like 1