Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

Sports Guy

Skubal trade  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Bradfield and McDermott for Skubal?

Just for discussion purposes, I’m curious if this is a deal you would want to see the Os make this deal.

I know all of this is “just for discussion purposes” but I say this because I do not feel the Tigers will trade Skubal and if they did, I don’t think they would accept this deal but I do think they would have to really think about it.

Is this too much ML caliber talent to give up if you are the Os?  Skubal would be great here but is that offloading too much?

Skubal has an injury history as well and you likely aren’t resigning him long term because of Boras and really, more than that, you figure at this point he’s going to get a dumb contract anyway.

But you have 2 more years with him, so is that enough?

Edited by Sports Guy

• Sports Guy changed the title to Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

I’m not interested. This is a painful amount of value to lose for two and a half years of service from, yes, one of the best pitchers in the sport, but still. I think it makes way more sense to get a rental this year and then try to swing a Burnes-like trade in the off season and sign a FA in addition. 

I also think McDermott is being undervalued a bit here. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

I’m not interested. This is a painful amount of value to lose for two and a half years of service from, yes, one of the best pitchers in the sport, but still. I think it makes way more sense to get a rental this year and then try to swing a Burnes-like trade in the off season and sign a FA in addition. 

I also think McDermott is being undervalued a bit here. 

I think what you say here makes sense BUT, I think you wind up trading the same or more for a worse result.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Interesting. I think this makes 2024 more viable to win a title. 

We lose Mounty and Kjerstad.   Maybe O’Hearn can fill that void, but I have my concerns.   We also would then be an injury away from a real problem.  I don’t count on Mayo or Holliday right now.  I also think the third starter is overrated.  Generally the teams with the best starters don’t actually win. I think the odds are Suarez or Kremer could win a game 3 or 6    It’s cheaper to add to the pen  I am also higher on Povich than most  

I would bring McDermott up and put him in the pen   See what he can do   Then trade for a power bullpen arm.  

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think what you say here makes sense BUT, I think you wind up trading the same or more for a worse result.

In general,I think many are overreacting to the early out last year.  This year, if we win the division, I am confident the plan will be much better to ensure we aren’t rusty.  

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

We lose Mounty and Kjerstad.   Maybe O’Hearn can fill that void, but I have my concerns.   We also would then be an injury away from a real problem.  I don’t count on Mayo or Holliday right now.  I also think the third starter is overrated.  Generally the teams with the best starters don’t actually win. I think the odds are Suarez or Kremer could win a game 3 or 6    It’s cheaper to add to the pen  I am also higher on Povich than most  

I would bring McDermott up and put him in the pen   See what he can do   Then trade for a power bullpen arm.  

Agree I'm gonna sit tight with what we have now, pick up something at the deadline to bolster the pen that does not cost as much

Man… I think I pull the trigger on that.   Doesn’t cost any of the top 3.    You could replace RMs bat with Mayo.    Losing Kjerstad sucks but you instantly have the best rotation in the majors for this years playoffs AND another arm to pair with Grayson for next year once Burns walks      

Now,  would they do this?   They have to strongly consider it… maybe a slight tweak, but I think it’s in the ballpark.   

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Kjerstad's going to be a middle of the order hitter for the next 6 years, hate to lose him when RF opens for him next year. 

Kjerstad is a nice hedge against the possibility of Cowser spinning his wheels as a MLer. Really they hedge against each other. It's tough for me to trade Kjerstad right now with Santander on his way out and Beavers being a mild disappointment this year. Mayo has zero outfield experience.

Not saying I wouldn't do it, just that it's a bit risky.

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Kjerstad is a nice hedge against the possibility of Cowser spinning his wheels as a MLer. Really they hedge against each other. It's tough for me to trade Kjerstad right now with Santander on his way out and Beavers being a mild disappointment this year. 

Not saying I wouldn't do it, just that it's a bit risky.

Its too risky ,youre giving up 2 ML  bats one that has 6 years of control and 2 pretty good prospects plus we still need BP help