Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

Skubal trade  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Bradfield and McDermott for Skubal?

Just now, emmett16 said:

I’m not good at the trade proposal/player value thing.  I should stick to my lane :) 

I tend to agree they wouldn’t like that deal.  It doesn’t seem like we are a good fit.  

I agree, I've been trying to figure out why Mountcastle was included (aside from SG wanting him gone that is).

I get that Tork has been basically a bust, but he's only 25 next season and I expect the Tigers aren't willing to give up on a guy they took first overall.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree, I've been trying to figure out why Mountcastle was included (aside from SG wanting him gone that is).

I get that Tork has been basically a bust, but he's only 25 next season and I expect the Tigers aren't willing to give up on a guy they took first overall.

I’m intrigued by Flaherty.  Trying to keep an open mind/have selective amnesia.  

4 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Not anytime real soon, no. I explained it, how I think his live stuff can be an asset in relief this year. Especially if we sustain more injuries. I don’t see it as wise to trade from an area we do not have much depth in. Trade arms from Bowie or below. 

Ok.  I get that McDermott can be an asset in relief.  Skubal can be an asset in the rotation.  It’s all hypothetical.  If the Tigers, hypothetically, insisted on McDermott, you would pass.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

in a deal like this a ML player is almost certainly going to be dealt.

Mounty can DH or play first..Tork can do the same or even play third.

It’s really just a controllable bat that provides value for a team that I don’t feel wants to go through a rebuild. Trading Skubal is a white flag for 2024 but it doesn’t have to be for 2025.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I acknowledged that it might cost Mayo.

You said Mayo and Kjerstad plus more prospects.

I asked you if you were willing to name any team that could/would offer such a package?

Why is trading Skubal “a fireable offense”? The Tigers haven’t been to the playoffs with him and are not going anywhere this year. When you examine their offense and position players that they currently have, it is hard to envision how they make drastic improvements next year or the year after (Skubal’s contract duration).

No, I think Malike is right. Detroit will want a better main piece and Kjerstad as the second piece and no Mounty makes more sense for them.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

in a deal like this a ML player is almost certainly going to be dealt.

Mounty can DH or play first..Tork can do the same or even play third.

It’s really just a controllable bat that provides value for a team that I don’t feel wants to go through a rebuild. Trading Skubal is a white flag for 2024 but it doesn’t have to be for 2025.

From all I've heard he can't play third. 

37 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

How about Basallo and Kjersted for Skubal?  I mean, that's probably what they are asking. Or Holliday straight up. That's just a guess, if they are actually willing to trade a guy like that. 

no-randy-jackson.gif

The Trinity of Basallo, Mayo and Holliday must remain intact.  

I'd trade Kjerstad as the centerpiece with other guys like Norby, Stowers, and another lower level lottery ticket.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  I get that McDermott can be an asset in relief.  Skubal can be an asset in the rotation.  It’s all hypothetical.  If the Tigers, hypothetically, insisted on McDermott, you would pass.

A 25 yr old who can't throw the ball over the plate in AAA shouldn't be a deal breaker.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Birdland in NC said:

How about Basallo and Kjersted for Skubal?  I mean, that's probably what they are asking. Or Holliday straight up. That's just a guess, if they are actually willing to trade a guy like that. 

First scenario, way too much, 12 to 14 years of control, plus Skubal is a pitcher and all the potential BS that comes with that. Holliday? if you think hes a bust youre still paying too much. For either one of these I would want Kirby or Paul Skenes who might even cost more

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It’s close. And it isn’t that I think McDermott is all that. It’s just that we need more depth as it is, and I don’t think trading a guy like McDermott, who can help, is the best move.

If they made this trade, I’d love to have Skubal. If we lose another starter, then I’d miss McDermott. 

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

A 25 yr old who can't throw the ball over the plate in AAA shouldn't be a deal breaker.  

I agree.  That’s what I was getting at.  Even if you think McDermott becomes a high leverage reliever he shouldn’t be the sticking point in a deal for Skubal.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Just for discussion purposes, I’m curious if this is a deal you would want to see the Os make this deal.

I know all of this is “just for discussion purposes” but I say this because I do not feel the Tigers will trade Skubal and if they did, I don’t think they would accept this deal but I do think they would have to really think about it.

Is this too much ML caliber talent to give up if you are the Os?  Skubal would be great here but is that offloading too much?

Skubal has an injury history as well and you likely aren’t resigning him long term because of Boras and really, more than that, you figure at this point he’s going to get a dumb contract anyway.

But you have 2 more years with him, so is that enough?

I voted yes. Everyone loves the idea of trading a “vet”. Also, the board is more attached to Cowser than Kjerstad. 

If you had made this Cowser instead of Kjerstad it would be 25/75 Yes/No. 

@Sports Guy I like the idea of trading Mounty. He’s been a .700 OPS guy since April. 

Overall, I feel like Detroit wouldn’t do this trade. To get Skubal we’d probably have to give away one of the big 3 or do something like a 5-1 with Kjerstad, EBJ, and then our top 3 pitching prospects. McDermott, DeLeon, and Baumeister. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

What’s hilarious to me is that people voted no to this. This is a tailor made trade for everything going the O’s way. 

Mounty might be a non tender candidate this offseason. Maybe not, but there is some discussion there at least. He’s the least valuable DH option going forward into next year behind O’Hearn, Kjerstad, and Adley/Basallo. 

IMG_5665.jpeg