Elias…DFA Kimbrel now!! (9/18: Kimbrel DFA'd, Baker recalled)

Wavetrapper

52 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I went to bed last night with the O's down 4-0 heading into the 8th inning. I woke up this morning, opened the CBS app on my phone and saw the final score of 10-0. Without looking at the box score I immediately said out loud, "Kimbrel" (like "Newman" in Seinfeld). 

4-0, 10-0, the team still didn’t score a run. No need to have Kimbrel be the fall guy. 

The last thing we want to do is to DFA Kimbrel and have another playoff team pick him up and he contribute positively. It could just be a change of scenery. Or it could just be a simple adjustment. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

4-0, 10-0, the team still didn’t score a run. No need to have Kimbrel be the fall guy. 

The last thing we want to do is to DFA Kimbrel and have another playoff team pick him up and he contribute positively. It could just be a change of scenery. Or it could just be a simple adjustment. 

Is this meant to be a joke? He wouldn’t be playoff eligible. Even if he were, I wouldn’t mind facing him. It’s not like he was lights out with the Phillies last year.

All kidding aside, I can’t see Kimbrel surviving the return of Coulombe unless there is a bullpen injury. He clearly doesn’t have a spot on the playoff roster and he is not comfortable in mop-up duty.  I think the ship has sailed this year on Craig regaining his Spring form.  To keep Craig on the roster as a “respect thing” would require losing a controllable reliever such as Burch Smith (who pitched well last night) - I can’t see Elias doing that.

We might not wait until Coulombe comes back, especially since we had to burn Bowman last night.  What’s the point of delaying the inevitable?  I could see Selby or Baker in Baltimore tonight.  I think Elias will also be peeved by last night’s performance after he went to bat for the team pre-game.

In his post-game presser, Hyde mentioned the unlucky chopper, the long lay-off since his last outing, and that he left him in after the point of fatigue to unsuccessfully avoid  using another reliever.  That may be true but I also don’t see a scenario where Kimbrel’s role changes.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The last thing we want to do is to DFA Kimbrel and have another playoff team pick him up and he contribute positively.

Lot of pitches last night...could be inflammation.    I think I saw Steven Kwan went to the IL with fatigue.    162 games is a grind.

What day is Coulombe ready this week?    Probably want to get him an appearance before the one against Soto-Judge-Wells.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well he couldn't pitch in the postseason for another team, and there's very little time left for him to contribute positively to "another playoff" team in the regular season.   You certainly don't think we're going to pick up the option on his contract next year, do you?

Honestly I have no problem with DFAing him today.   Although any call for a move that is based on "getting rid of someone" is usually based on emotion so I usually ignore it.   If someone starts a thread that says bring so and so up from Norfolk and DFA Kimbrel, I'll consider that on its merits.    Just getting rid of someone to get rid of them without even thinking about who is replacing them is stupid.   

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t DFa him at this point unless we need the roster space. Kimbrel could still eat an inning here and there you where you would rather rest an arm for the playoffs.

We also don’t know how he is in the clubhouse. He may be someone guys look up to and his leadership is helpful. 

Keep him around for his leadership?   LOL

He should be gone when either Webb or Coulombe come back.    I’ll take my chances minus the Kimbrel leadership.  His release might actually give the team a lift.   He’s like a dead weight right now.

• Upvote 1

It’s funny but it feels like 90% of the runs Kimbrel allows are with two outs.  He gets this close to having a decent outing, then can’t finish it off.   

I think it’s just a matter of days before Kimbrel is DFA.

In all seriousness, he might be well-served to sit out the first half of next season and then try to hook up with a team in the second half.  If you look at his last couple of seasons, it seems he’s only got maybe 20-25 good appearances in him before he starts to wear down.  

I'm sure it's been said before, but it is absolutely criminal that this guy was not DFAed instead of Irvin when Webb came back. I guarantee Irvin will play some role in screwing this team over in that final series vs the Twins.

When Columbe returns (today?), Kimbrel should be GONE.

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He should be gone when either Webb or Coulombe come back.    

Webb is already back, but yes I agree that Kimbrel should be DFA'd ASAP. Unlike Kimbrel, Burch Smith showed last night that he's capable of pitching well, even if he can't do that consistently. 

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s funny but it feels like 90% of the runs Kimbrel allows are with two outs.  He gets this close to having a decent outing, then can’t finish it off.   

I think it’s just a matter of days before Kimbrel is DFA.

In all seriousness, he might be well-served to sit out the first half of next season and then try to hook up with a team in the second half.  If you look at his last couple of seasons, it seems he’s only got maybe 20-25 good appearances in him before he starts to wear down.  

Your gut is correct. Or close enough.

In 52 games he pitched with 2 outs and allowed 12 runs. In 56 games he pitched with 1 out and allowed 13. So those R/G with 2 vs 1 out are nearly identical.

In 55 he pitched with 0 outs and allowed 7. 

But his stats with 2 outs are abysmal.

IMG_1950.png

29 minutes ago, gretzkyscores said:

Should have kept Cole Irvin, not Kimbrel

Probably, but Irvin was (IMHO) not making the playoff roster and not coming back next year so I guess it's a coin flip. I probably would have kept Irvin over Kimbrel but it's not a difference maker that's for sure.