03) Padres - Grant Green

04) Pirates - Kyle Gibson

05) Orioles - Alex White

06) Giants - Donovan Tate

07) Braves - Zack Wheeler

08) Red - Aaron Crow

09) Tiger - Jacob Turner

10) Nationals - Chad Jenkins

They have Sheppers going 12th to the Royals, Matzek 13th to the A's, and Matt Purke 16th to the Diamondbacks.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/mock-draft/2009/268103.html

First 10 :

01) Nationals - Strasburg

02) Mariners - Dustin Ackley

03) Padres - Grant Green

04) Pirates - Kyle Gibson

05) Orioles - Alex White

06) Giants - Donovan Tate

07) Braves - Zack Wheeler

08) Red - Aaron Crow

09) Tiger - Jacob Turner

10) Nationals - Chad Jenkins

They have Sheppers going 12th to the Royals, Matzek 13th to the A's, and Matt Purke 16th to the Diamondbacks.

I guess Green wouldn't be a reach at 1:5 then.

wow, this here mock draft makes me lose respect for BA. Gibson gone at #4? White gone at 5? Ahead of Crow and Scheppers and Matzek and Purke, ridiculous. I do not agree with this whatso ever and do not see how they could have came up with these conclusions......It almost seems like they made this mock draft back in January or something, before White fell appart along with Green.....

Anybody remember how BA's initital 2008 mock went? Did they miss by a lot or a little?

Last year there was a little more separation at the top of the draft, this year not so much.

For the record, I saw 3 different mocks all with different players at 5, so that should tell you that no one has a clue how this one is going to shake out until some people go on a tear or until draft day.

wow, this here mock draft makes me lose respect for BA. Gibson gone at #4? White gone at 5? Ahead of Crow and Scheppers and Matzek and Purke, ridiculous. I do not agree with this whatso ever and do not see how they could have came up with these conclusions......It almost seems like they made this mock draft back in January or something, before White fell appart along with Green.....

This isn't a power ranking where they just rank the prospects in order of their talent. BA is matching players with teams who have shown definite interest in the players. Churchill and Law have both stated that San Diego has Green on their short list of players at #3.

Just because the Padres would like Grant Green at #3 doesn't mean he's not a reach at 1:5.

I don't understand how someone bats .377 with a .569 slugging % at SS at a major Div 1 program and then people start thinking he's a reach at 1:5 in a weak draft.

One person starts to question if someone is good enough for a high pick, and then everyone else wants to jump on that bandwagon. I'm still waiting for someone besides Stotle, Crawdad, or Lucky Jim to back up this argument with anything more than rumors or heresay. (Sorry Oriole, not directed at you, just in general)

I don't understand how someone bats .377 with a .569 slugging % at SS at a major Div 1 program and then people start thinking he's a reach at 1:5 in a weak draft.

One person starts to question if someone is good enough for a high pick, and then everyone else wants to jump on that bandwagon. I'm still waiting for someone besides Stotle, Crawdad, or Lucky Jim to back up this argument with anything more than rumors or heresay. (Sorry Oriole, not directed at you, just in general)

I posted this on another thread, but both experts from BA and ESPN have had doubts about his glove. Churchill said he hasn't spoken with anyone who thinks Green can stay at SS. He doesn't have the bat for 3B or the glove for SS. That combination doesn't scream 1:5.

I posted this on another thread, but both experts from BA and ESPN have had doubts about his glove. Churchill said he hasn't spoken with anyone who thinks Green can stay at SS. He doesn't have the bat for 3B or the glove for SS. That combination doesn't scream 1:5.

Churchill is a moron. He also thinks Turner is the 2nd best prospect in the draft.

This entire debate is one that I have had a major hand in sparking here, so I know where the 3B v SS discussion came from, I started it. What I'm telling you is the way this works is one person doubts his glove and then 20 more will piggyback that without any real evidence and say that they too doubt his glove. When really if you do the homework, his glove isn't really that big of a deal. If it is, tell me, is it his range? His glove? His footwork? You can't tell me can you? It's because no one knows, they are just agreeing with the guy before them.

What do u need backed up? He was regarded as a top 5 pick because he was expected to have some power this year and improve upon last year. He has a good batting average yes, but where is this power? The power is to me what separated him the most. There arent very many powerful SS's in the league anymore, so he was supposed to be special. Now, he is showing no power, and still not much discipline at the plate which will need to improve. Im honestly gonna say that I know this year was a fluke bad year for him(to an extent) and that whatever team takes him will get good production, but to me he is too much of a question at #5 for us. Wouldnt be a bad pick I just would not agree with it.....

Agreed. Other than Strasburg, there are really no "sure things" in this draft. That being said, how can one possibly state Green is a "reach"? If the Yankees are hoping to draft Green as the heir apparent to Jeter then I think he should be good enough for the Orioles to consider him at 1:5. I'd like to see the quotes from all of these scouts that they he'll have to move from SS.

Archived