Anybody know if we can sign Jean Carlos Batista?

Mods feel free to move this if this isn't the correct board for it.

http://baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=1309

I've heard the Orioles have expressed interest in Sano but haven't heard anything about Batista. From reading what scouts thinks about Batista I would love to put a young, up and coming "5-tool" shortstop in the Orioles minor league system. What are the chances that the Orioles go after him and/or Sano at the same time? We got a lot of money coming off the books next season and I know attendance is down but I would think the Orioles could afford to get these two prospects.

Anybody in the know?

Mods feel free to move this if this isn't the correct board for it.

http://baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=1309

I've heard the Orioles have expressed interest in Sano but haven't heard anything about Batista. From reading what scouts thinks about Batista I would love to put a young, up and coming "5-tool" shortstop in the Orioles minor league system. What are the chances that the Orioles go after him and/or Sano at the same time? We got a lot of money coming off the books next season and I know attendance is down but I would think the Orioles could afford to get these two prospects.

Anybody in the know?

I am by far no expert but do not get your hopes high for the O's to sign any of the expensive players. Maybe a couple of lower prospects but nothing earth shattering...

I am by far no expert but do not get your hopes high for the O's to sign any of the expensive players. Maybe a couple of lower prospects but nothing earth shattering...

I think the Orioles will be bigger players in the Caribbean this year than they have been in the past. What that means in terms of money and names, I don't know. But I expect them to move beyond the fringes, where they have been for so long.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• His glove is definitely ready. That’s what people are saying and since that is what Mateo is bringing the table, it stands to reason that he can replace him. Either way, Mateo is definitely not “too important” to trade.
    • Yes, they do.  And clearly they've come to a differnt conclusion than you.  I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt; not random posters on the OH- no offense to random posters on the OH.  I'm a random poster on the OH.
    • That would require me to read your entire post and we both know I can only handle maybe two sentences at a time when it comes to your posts.  😉
    • No, acting like Ortiz is DEFINITELY ready is the only thing that is untrue.  This is a discussion that could be had but it isn't had in good faith.  There are posters who KNOW he's ready, when of course, you can't possibly know that.  But judging by historical and current norms, 120 ABS in AAA is nothing.
    • Yes, IF you have sufficient runs being scored by the rest of the team.  Unfortunately last year we had too many black holes in the lineup, and to this point we haven't done much to fix that this year.  Thus the additional black hole of Mateo is more evident.  Sure, a good offensive team can carry a all glove, no bat guy or two in the lineup, but we aren't currently constructed that way.  
    • So every time they advance a level they throw out all the old data? It's weird, as much as folks here talk up the front office it also seems like they sometimes underestimate them.  They should have a lot of data to draw from.
    • So?  We know the glove will play, and since that's pretty much all he'd be replacing, Mateos glove, then more time in AAA really isn't going to make a difference.  Now if you want to factor in team control and stuff like that, then that adds to the equation.  But to suggest that Ortiz needs more time in AAA to be able to adequately replace Mateo isn't really true.  Sure, his bat could likely use more time adjusting to AAA and then the majors, but since he's replacing a terrible bat in the lineup I'm not sure it's as large of a deal as folks are making it out to be.  It's not like we are bringing up a guy to replace Santander, or Mullins or Adley.  It's all glove, no bat Mateo and Ortiz seems very capable of doing so now, even with only 25 AAA games under his belt.  That's largely because of how bad Mateo is with the bat though. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now