Sherrill Traded to Dodgers for Josh Bell & Steve Johnson

Greg Pappas

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big surprise

Forrester dislikes the deal.

http://wnst.net/wordpress/drewforrester/2009/07/30/on-the-sherrill-trade-wish-we-were-buyers-instead-of-sellers/comment-page-1/#comment-11151

The deal today, though is an on-going symbol of the O’s current state of mind and that’s what I’m having a hard time coming to grips with, I suppose.

Look around at the trading deadline and answer me this question: How many good teams are trading away their good players? And how many bad teams are trading away their good players?

You know the answer.

The “sellers” at the deadline are the franchises who are - generally speaking - going backwards.

Clearly, the concept of going a couple of steps backward in order to take many multiples of that number of steps forward in the future (see "Bedard, Erik") is foreign to whatever passes for Forrester's brain.

He thinks we should have acquired Matt Holliday? Traded minor league prospects for two months of Matt Holliday? Or a year and a half of Cliff Lee? He would be the guy that put us over the top in 2010? That this man has a forum where his views on sports are promulgated depresses me to no end. I am so angry about his rantings I nearly neg-repped you SJ. They aren't selling off good players. They are trading them for guys that should be blossoming in two to three years when the team actually has a chance to compete for a title.

He thinks we should have acquired Matt Holliday? Traded minor league prospects for two months of Matt Holliday? Or a year and a half of Cliff Lee? He would be the guy that put us over the top in 2010? That this man has a forum where his views on sports are promulgated depresses me to no end. I am so angry about his rantings I nearly neg-repped you SJ. They aren't selling off good players. They are trading them for guys that should be blossoming in two to three years when the team actually has a chance to compete for a title.

Hey man, don't kill the messenger.

I was as shocked as you were.

Big surprise

Forrester dislikes the deal.

http://wnst.net/wordpress/drewforrester/2009/07/30/on-the-sherrill-trade-wish-we-were-buyers-instead-of-sellers/comment-page-1/#comment-11151

The deal today, though is an on-going symbol of the O’s current state of mind and that’s what I’m having a hard time coming to grips with, I suppose.

Look around at the trading deadline and answer me this question: How many good teams are trading away their good players? And how many bad teams are trading away their good players?

You know the answer.

The “sellers” at the deadline are the franchises who are - generally speaking - going backwards.

Well, that's an amazingly dumb thing to say. He's equating a team's current competitive status with its trajectory: If a team's not competitive now, it's getting worse. He can't believe that. And he doesn't. So, he carefully throws in the phrase "generally speaking" to give himself some room to backpedal once he gets people to argue with him. It's just another case of him looking to attract attention to himself. Best to just completely ignore it, act like we never saw it, etc. Otherwise, he wins.

Most of his rants are a precursor to his next show in order to stir the pot. Personally he's about as interesting as Anita MArks for me:laughlol:. I think Nestor could do a lot better with the morning slot.

You had me until you said the N-word.

My experience with Drew Forrester is that he is typically on the other side of how most die hard Oriole fans feel about things. I can appreciate differing opinions, but he's often so far on the other side that I really believe that he has no idea what he's talking about.

The question "How many good teams are trading away their good players? And how many bad teams are trading away their good players?" is a really bad argument; correllation does not imply causation.

For someone who claims to know baseball as much as him, he really makes some stupid, unknowable comments. I use to listen to his show every morning on the way to work. Now I couldn't listen if you paid me. Him and Nestor have been on a witch hunt regarding the O's for about 5 years now! It is getting so old. He is pretty much just Nestor's mouth piece now and does/says everything so that people will give him blog hits and visit their site. Sad!

I dunno. I don't really know the if these prospects were worth it. Im not exactly convinced with all these power rankings, and pure numbers, etc. Someone before me has said that his fielding percentage is horrible, but that's only part of my concern.

Right now we're in year 3 of AM's super rebuilding plan. And sure, we might be better off now than we were then.

But where are we in the standings? Bottom line is we now have two more young prospects to tide us over while everyone can sit back and harp themselves to the tune of 'just you wait Yankees and BoSox, wait for our young guns' and keep waiting. For these last couple years we've been waiting.

So now the banner year is pushed back to 2011? Or by then will a few young guns turn out to be less than stellar and we're waiting again.... Im not drinking the orange kool aid right now. I was really hoping we'd get a major leaguer, someone who can help this team sooner rather than later.

Archived