Richmond, Va. is back in business

Why Not?

AA Eastern League, Giants affiliate.

http://connecticut.defenders.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090923&content_id=7114466&vkey=news_t514&fext=.jsp&sid=t514

NORWICH, CT-The Connecticut Defenders ownership group, Navigators Baseball LLP has announced today that the team will be leaving Norwich, CT to play the 2010 season in Richmond, VA at the Diamond.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AA Eastern League, Giants affiliate.

http://connecticut.defenders.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090923&content_id=7114466&vkey=news_t514&fext=.jsp&sid=t514

NORWICH, CT-The Connecticut Defenders ownership group, Navigators Baseball LLP has announced today that the team will be leaving Norwich, CT to play the 2010 season in Richmond, VA at the Diamond.

Just heard this today. So excited. Going to try to work there next summer.

I heard there was two strategy's use the old diamond or build one in shockoe bottom. I think its lazy and moronic to use that old falling apart diamond and not open up a brand new stadium like Tennessee did with there AA club putting it dead smack in the city creating a spectacular place to hang out go to bars and hit up a ball game with only 7500 seats. The Diamond is huge and from what I remembered stayed empty. They should have built a new place.

Doing what? I'm probably moving to Richmond after I'm done down here and I wouldn't mind checking this out.

No idea. I have a brand new Philosophy degree that I plan on completely wasting for the next year or two while I tour from time to time with my band and work nearly minimum wage jobs until I'm ready to go to grad school for journalism.

No idea. I have a brand new Philosophy degree that I plan on completely wasting for the next year or two while I tour from time to time with my band and work nearly minimum wage jobs until I'm ready to go to grad school for journalism.

Weird. Philosophy degree here too. Currently in grad school for writing.

Weird. Philosophy degree here too. Currently in grad school for writing.

Hah sweet. My job search has been completely fruitless so far. Good old practical degrees. My minor was in religious studies. Big buck in that racket too.

You should move to Richmond. I love it here.

I heard there was two strategy's use the old diamond or build one in shockoe bottom. I think its lazy and moronic to use that old falling apart diamond and not open up a brand new stadium like Tennessee did with there AA club putting it dead smack in the city creating a spectacular place to hang out go to bars and hit up a ball game with only 7500 seats. The Diamond is huge and from what I remembered stayed empty. They should have built a new place.

Maybe their ownership group hasn't yet perfected the art of extorting tens or hundreds of $millions out of their community yet. Not every city is willing to immediately give out truckloads of cash to everyone who comes begging.

I've often cursed the moronic St. Mary's County commissioners for not giving me $20M to build a stadium.

Maybe their ownership group hasn't yet perfected the art of extorting tens or hundreds of $millions out of their community yet. Not every city is willing to immediately give out truckloads of cash to everyone who comes begging.

I've often cursed the moronic St. Mary's County commissioners for not giving me $20M to build a stadium.

There is more to it then I care to type but the short of it is. No one went to the diamond and things will not change. It is not in a busy part of town, kind of run down area and the diamond it self is run down looking. They lose a lot of family business because of it. Then they just claim Richmond is too small or does not care about baseball. I went and graduated from VCU so I was there for 4 years to see it first hand. I went to a ball game whenever I could. They just half assed it and the same thing will happen. Atlanta would intentionally try to skip players and not put them through the AAA affiliate because of the old equipment and how run down the whole park is that is why they could not wait to get out. Even when Richmond was winning games no one went. I worked the diamond a summer in 2002 because I stayed the summer through school.

There is more to it then I care to type but the short of it is. No one went to the diamond and things will not change. It is not in a busy part of town, kind of run down area and the diamond it self is run down looking. They lose a lot of family business because of it. Then they just claim Richmond is too small or does not care about baseball. I went and graduated from VCU so I was there for 4 years to see it first hand. I went to a ball game whenever I could. They just half assed it and the same thing will happen. Atlanta would intentionally try to skip players and not put them through the AAA affiliate because of the old equipment and how run down the whole park is that is why they could not wait to get out. Even when Richmond was winning games no one went. I worked the diamond a summer in 2002 because I stayed the summer through school.

I live outside of Richmond too. A friend of mine said that a stadium in Shockoe Bottom will never happen. They estimated something like each person would have to shell out nearly $125 per trip in order to "pay" for this stadium in a reasonable amount of time.

Kind of a shame though that the Orioles wsent to Norfolk after Ottawa. I would imagine if Richmond were available to them at the time that they may have chosen here instead

Archived