Orioles Interested In Ryan Shealy

Boca Bird

Here is a read on Shealy's first base defense.

From ColoradoRockies.com

"Shealy also gains confidence from the fact that he already plays a position well. His hands and footwork could make him an above-average first baseman"

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060122&content_id=1299252&vkey=news_col&fext=.jsp&c_id=col

Exhibit two:

Denverpost.com

He finally arrived at the ballpark at 5:45, took a few rushed practice cuts, drove in a run in the third inning and pulled off a Gold Glove-worth first-to- shortstop-to-first double play in the sixth.

Shealy was with the Rockies in June as a designated hitter during interleague play. Tuesday marked his first appearance as a fielder in the big leagues.

"It was definitely different, but I was pumped up for it," he said. "I take a lot of pride in my defense, and I work hard at it. That paid off tonight."

http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/fragments/print_article.jsp?article=2892660

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But what is the deal?

To me it was Olsen for Shealy, which is a done deal, IMO.

This is a huge position of weakness for us. Has been for a while now. Even if his D is bad, we still can put Gibbons in there at 1B.

I just don't understand. I know other teams are bidding, but what ever happened to not wanting my Infinity because I was driving around a Benz? :confused:

On OH it's Olson for Shealy and it's a done deal. In the real, world the O's have countered with B level prospects and are hoping the Rockies give in a little and accept someone a level down from Olson or maybe two players a level down from Olson. We are much more generous and less hesitant! :D

I understand your real world vs OH world thing...

I just get frustrated because this is something we need, have a chance to aquire it and look to get bargain deals every time.

I think its a fair trade and this is the reason we keep stocking our system with pitching prospects. At some point, you have to let some go. I mean we basically let the Rockies test out position prospects, find one that is worth our time, and now we can move in and get him.

Its better than drafting positional talent for 3 straight years hoping for the next Markakis or Reimold.

To me it was Olsen for Shealy, which is a done deal, IMO.

Do we know that this is an actual offer? IIRC, all Bigbird said was that Olson's name has been mentioned. I don't remember seeing anything about an Olson-for-Shealy trade being firmly on the table.

Do we know that this is an actual offer? IIRC, all Bigbird said was that Olson's name has been mentioned. I don't remember seeing anything about an Olson-for-Shealy trade being firmly on the table.

Yea, that was RZ that said that...

I told you guys this yeaterday Bottom line is the ball in in our court. We know who they'll take in trade and only have to say YES to make it a done deal. At some point the front office needs to be risk takers and have the balls to make bold moves in hope of upgrading talent. The deal could have been made Thursday evening from what I'm told but we end up farting around and allow other teams enter the mix. Typical O's MO.

That is the quote that tells me all we need to do is say yes and we get him.

It was already said Olson was one of the guys.

I had the impression that Bigbird's guy said the Olson was definitely one of the two guys the Rox asked for and it would take one or the other (mystery prospect) to get Shealy. We assume it's the O's reluctance to part with either player is what's holding things up.

You know that whoever else it is is hoping like heck that Olson goes and not him...Colorado is where pitchers go to die.

I'm not sure how everyone just assumed he wasn't a good fielder but it looks like he'll be OK. Add me to the growing list of YES's.

I wonder if they're waiting to deal Conine/Millar in something to get rid of the glut?

Does not appear this is going to happen at this time....
Does that mean someone else gets him instead of us, or that COL thinks they can get more at the deadline?

I've given it a lot of thought, and I would do an Olson for Shealy deal. Not that that means anything.

Does that mean someone else gets him instead of us, or that COL thinks they can get more at the deadline?

I've given it a lot of thought, and I would do an Olson for Shealy deal. Not that that means anything.

I was all for Shealy as well as long as he could play a decent 1B. We don't need another DH type unless they unload Javy but someone who can hit and play better D than Millah would be a God send.

I was all for Shealy as well as long as he could play a decent 1B. We don't need another DH type unless they unload Javy but someone who can hit and play better D than Millah would be a God send.
Hey, God willing, Javy, Millar and Conine will not be here next year, so we're going to need a few younger guys like that who can put up a respectable OPS, and Shealy fits the bill. Even if he turns out to be only a DH, the man can hit. I was for signing Durazo as well, for the same reason.

If the Orioles are as high on Olson as has been indicated then it is wise not to move him for Shealy. At his age and with his numbers he'd be a guy I'd like to have but not at the expense of someone the organization thinks is among the very best of their prospects. Despite the popular notion on these boards the fact of the matter is a team can never have too much pitching and the Orioles are nowhere near deep enough to give up they guys the they consider to be among the best prospects in the organization.

Now if the org doesn't grade out Olson as high as has been indicated then maybe it's a deal that makes sense.

Archived