Bergy discussions - Can we count on him now that he's a year out from his injury?

Moose Milligan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is up with this increased velocity?

Showalter mentioned in the postgame that he's been mixing in more 4-seam fastballs to go with his bread and butter 2-seam. The 4-seamer in general has less sink but more velocity--maybe that's where the velocity is coming from.

Bergy will always be a sinkerball pitcher first and foremost, but having a 4-seamer to mix in will make his sinker that more effective because the 4-seamer comes in at a different eye level, so the hitter can't focus all of his attention on the low pitch.

Showalter mentioned in the postgame that he's been mixing in more 4-seam fastballs to go with his bread and butter 2-seam. The 4-seamer in general has less sink but more velocity--maybe that's where the velocity is coming from.

Bergy will always be a sinkerball pitcher first and foremost, but having a 4-seamer to mix in will make his sinker that more effective because the 4-seamer comes in at a different eye level, so the hitter can't focus all of his attention on the low pitch.

Yeah, the four-seamer has been a weapon for him lately. It seems to be about 3-4 MPH faster than the two-seam. Most hitters will not pick up the difference until it's too late, which is a big deal when you're talking the difference between two inches of run and six inches of sink.

He has been spotting it very well the last couple of games, too.

The question is, can we count on Bergy as a piece of the future rotation. WHen you look into your crystal ball, do you see Bergy holding down a rotation spot in 2 years for our team?

We are already counting on Matusz, Arrieta, Britton and for me Guthrie as well. Will Bergy be that 5th and final piece?

Personally, I am counting on him as a piece of the future. Why? Because his brand of baseball has been proven to be successful, the obstacle that he has to overcome is executing his brand of baseball. He is not like the rest of our young arms. He is what he is, he has no more real development to do IMO. His calling card is command, movement and tempo(working quickly). When he is in a groove, he is able to do all 3 well. Last year, he did all 3 well all year. In his last 3 games, he has also done all three things well.

So, the question is, who is the real Bergy? Is it this guy we saw all of 09 and in his last 3 games, or is it the Bergy we saw earlier this year that lead to a ridiculous ERA and if eligible, coming into this game, the most runners allowed per 9IP. It is basically difference between a mid rotation starter and a long reliever.......

I am hoping that he can continue to pitch well and prove that what we saw tonite is the pitcher we should expect and that his rough start was because of the shoulder injury just before the season. He will be our 5th starter in the rotation and if all goes well with him, he will be a mid rotation arm......

Last 13 outs made by Bergesen (last out in the 5th through the 9th):

1 pitch, 1 pitch, 3 pitches, 3 pitches, 3 pitches, 3 pitches, 1 pitch, 1 pitch, 4 pitches, 3 pitches, 6 pitches, 4 pitches, [Cabrera hit, 7 pitches], 3 pitches.

Total: 102

9 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO

^^ Dominance.

Can we get some of the people who laughed at the idea of Bergesen having the potential to be a dominant pitcher to now admit its not so far fetched? His last three starts have been phenomenal and he's pitching like a bona fide #1 (small sample size notwithstanding), just like he did at the end of last season.

He may not have a dominant pitch, but his exceptional control and ability to force opponents to put the ball in play early in the count, thus extending his ability to stay in the game have the potential to be elite traits. The lack of a truly dominant pitch doesn't mean he can't be a dominant pitcher.

Seriously, does anyone know what to make of this kid. I had all but written him off and now he comes back with this? Just keep running him out there I guess and we'll see.

I believe he's a TOR pitcher with the ability to go 7 to 9 innings every time out. He proved this ability in the minors and in his last dozen starts in 2009 before he was hurt. The pitcher we've seen up until his last three starts this year was not the real Bergesen.

Archived