Buehrle accuses Pie of stealing signs

nevadaO

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
B. Is it bad form for the runner on second to take a peek back at the SS to see if he is heading back to the bag for a pickoff attempt? Is it bad form for the runner of first to take note of where the outfielders are playing so he knows if he has a chance to go first to third on a hit?
That is very different. The fielders are shading where they think a ball will be hit based on a guy's tendencies. The catcher has to set up where the pitch is going to be thrown.

Looking back at where the catcher is set up is definitely bush league thing to do, IMO. Its just a cheap way of trying to get an advantage instead of actually having to earn the advantage.

Wasn't the 6th inning AB the one where Beuhrle was up 0-2 and then missed inside/tight 4 consecutive pitches?

He should learn to plunk better.

I have no issue with Pie stealing signs if he is. You play to win the game after all. (Thanks Herm)

Easiest way for the Sox to solve this problem is to keep Pie off the bases, but they don't seem to be able to do that.

Exactly. If you have a problem with a man dancing in the end zone, then you don't let him score. Same philosophy here.

Pressure getting to the CWS? They should be beating up the "lowly" Orioles.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's something to this. The CWS are 6-12 since the beginning of the last series with the O's (which we took 3-1). They're now 3.5 behind the Twins in the AL Central. I guess their Ace had this one already chalked up in the W column during warm-ups because that first series had to be a fluke, right?

Being a spoiler is a great way to get some of the right kind of attention IMO. I hope this series marks the beginning of several more.

That is very different. The fielders are shading where they think a ball will be hit based on a guy's tendencies. The catcher has to set up where the pitch is going to be thrown.

Looking back at where the catcher is set up is definitely bush league thing to do, IMO. Its just a cheap way of trying to get an advantage instead of actually having to earn the advantage.

I never really understood this distinction either. Is it uncool for a batter to notice how the infield is set, and try to "hit it where they ain't"?

Also, is it kosher for the catcher to take a look at where the batter is standing in the batters box, and call pitches accordingly?

I never really understood this distinction either. Is it uncool for a batter to notice how the infield is set, and try to "hit it where they ain't"?

Also, is it kosher for the catcher to take a look at where the batter is standing in the batters box, and call pitches accordingly?

Sure its cool for the batter to do that. I'm sure you realize that the advantage gained by trying to hit against a shift is much smaller than the advantage gained by knowing where a pitch is coming.

There is a reason that hitters have the advantage on 2-0 and 3-1 counts. Its because they can zone in on one small portion of the strike zone and ignore anything that isn't exactly where they want it. If you know the location of the pitch before its thrown, even if you don't know the pitch type, its much easier to drive the ball.

Batters don't really move around in the box from at bat to at bat yet alone from pitch to pitch. So that's a completely different beast.

There is no rule against stealing signs, nor is there any rule regarding retaliation for doing so. Batter peeks at catcher for location - it's usually pretty obvious, and he gets plunked. Baserunner relays location to batter - that's harder for the defense to pick up/know for sure, batter may get plunked, baserunner may get an earful, or plunked later on. It's a gray area that is self-policed and only occasionally an overt problem on the field. Feels good to know the O's are venturing into it.

Sure its cool for the batter to do that. I'm sure you realize that the advantage gained by trying to hit against a shift is much smaller than the advantage gained by knowing where a pitch is coming.

There is a reason that hitters have the advantage on 2-0 and 3-1 counts. Its because they can zone in on one small portion of the strike zone and ignore anything that isn't exactly where they want it. If you know the location of the pitch before its thrown, even if you don't know the pitch type, its much easier to drive the ball.

Batters don't really move around in the box from at bat to at bat yet alone from pitch to pitch. So that's a completely different beast.

Well, put me down as having no problem with the batter sneaking a peek for location if he can get away with it. Also I'm cool with the SS decoying a runner from first on a hit to right field, or the catcher blocking the plate, or the runner plowing into the catcher trying to dislodge the ball. If the rule books don't prohibit it, then it's fair game.

Archived