Holy Crap I Just Had a Nightmarish Flashback to Jeffrey Maier

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's personally offensive to me that play wasn't reviewed.

Disgusting and I will seriously lose sleep over it.

The announcers finally said it wasn't looked at because the ump said the ball landed in the stands. HuH? So no matter how much the fan interferred with the right fielder, we cant replay it cause it landed in the stands. Dumb.

Why are all of you ignoring the answer - which is right here in bold. Not saying I agree that this is how it should be, but if this is correct, then I stand by my statements about Bud Selig.

Look, I agree that the umpiring crew doesn't seem to have handled this properly. But Major League Baseball, specifically Bud Selig, is the reason the replay rule has not been expanded. If he wanted replay he would tell the umps to stretch the rules if necessary, but they know he doesn't want it so they are going to fail conservative.

The ball had yet to come down, Cruz jumped, a fan made contact with his glove IN THE FIELD OF PLAY, and then the ball hit right on the edge of the fence and went out. I'm not saying he would have caught it, but he was absolutely interfered with IN the field of play. IIRC, Cano would have been out if that play was reviewed, which is very obviously should have been.

I hate Meier and the lousy call against the O's. But, the umps got this call absolutely right. Cruz was reaching over the wall and into the stands. The ball was clearly in amongst the fans where it's fair game. Sorry, this was the correct call, much as I hate to say it.

Why are all of you ignoring the answer - which is right here in bold. Not saying I agree that this is how it should be, but if this is correct, then I stand by my statements about Bud Selig.

Look, I agree that the umpiring crew doesn't seem to have handled this properly. But Major League Baseball, specifically Bud Selig, is the reason the replay rule has not been expanded. If he wanted replay he would tell the umps to stretch the rules if necessary, but they know he doesn't want it so they are going to fail conservative.

But whether the ball is in the field or play or not is also reviewable, just as fan interference is. It seems to me the play was clearly reviewable.

I hate Meier and the lousy call against the O's. But, the umps got this call absolutely right. Cruz was reaching over the wall and into the stands. The ball was clearly in amongst the fans where it's fair game. Sorry, this was the correct call, much as I hate to say it.

IMO, it shouldn't be that way though. One of those fans wasn't making a play for the ball but swatting at Cruz' glove. That's wrong.

The announcers finally said it wasn't looked at because the ump said the ball landed in the stands. HuH? So no matter how much the fan interferred with the right fielder, we cant replay it cause it landed in the stands. Dumb.

That's absolutely incorrect. The ball hit off the top of the fence and went in, but before that happened, one of the fans contacted Cruz's glove in the field of play.

If they had reviewed it, IMO Cano would have been out.

Why would they be conservative on a home run call in a playoff game? How is that helpfull to Bud Selig?

What were you looking at??!?!?! No way, dude. The fans were out over the edge of the fence and that's where the contact took place.

I agree that it should have been reviewed - I'm not arguing differently.

My point is (and this is all supposition) that the umps know MLB doesn't want replay so they fail conservative on when to use it because they think that will make the bosses happy. The ump ruled that in his mind the ball had gone into the stands, therefore it isn't reviewable (he was obviously wrong about that). I agree completely that they should have reviewed it (remember that earlier I mentioned the ump having a BS excuse) if for no other reason to verify that the ball went into the stands. If I'm a Rangers fan I'm extremely upset with Ron Washington for not being more vociferous with his argument there. If he had made a fool himself maybe just maybe they review just to appease him.

Roger that.

I was just talking to one of my buddies who is a MFY fan and I was arguing the same. Whether or not it would have been overturned is irrelevant.

Of course, they had to show the Maier cheating incident. I'm done watching this BS.

Archived