Holy Crap I Just Had a Nightmarish Flashback to Jeffrey Maier

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to defend Selig because like any commisioner he is far from perfect but overall I think he has done a good job and gets piled on for everything.

He CANCELLED THE WORLD SERIES in a misguided attempt to break the players' union. He and the owners wound up settling for a labor deal the next year that was pretty much teh status quo and could have been settled on without sacrificing a season. That is the ultimate failure for a commissioner -- when you fail to complete your season, which after all is the only reason you play the games, and you do it for NO REASON.

That alone makes him a disgrace to the history of the game.

He has presided over an era where population growth and, in the US, and until recently, an era of prosperity, have masked the fact that the game of baseball has lost its unique spot in the hearts of the American people, especially younger people. A generation from now people will look at empty ballparks and wonder what happened.

Just because you don't hear them loudest doesn't mean people weren't complaining. It might take some specific event to galvanize the media, but I heard plenty of complaining about all three long before each time frame you suggest.

And I don't know how one could be a sports fan with any attention paid to those sports and NOT heard those things.

To what extent though. If 15 horses would of died at Pimlico in a month you honestly think that that would of had the impact Barbaro did. This past weekend there were multiple viscious hits delivered in the NFL, that is why all the sudden there will be suspensions.

He CANCELLED THE WORLD SERIES in a misguided attempt to break the players' union. He and the owners wound up settling for a labor deal the next year that was pretty much teh status quo and could have been settled on without sacrificing a season. That is the ultimate failure for a commissioner -- when you fail to complete your season, which after all is the only reason you play the games, and you do it for NO REASON.

That alone makes him a disgrace to the history of the game.

He has presided over an era where population growth and, in the US, and until recently, an era of prosperity, have masked the fact that the game of baseball has lost its unique spot in the hearts of the American people, especially younger people. A generation from now people will look at empty ballparks and wonder what happened.

The World Series will always be on his watch. It should be on the union as well. The issues with the union started long before his watch.

What would you do to bring younger people back? The world has changed. I still see plenty of kids going to games though. I keep hearing about soccer and lacrosse and yet no one pays to see those games.

To what extent though. If 15 horses would of died at Pimlico in a month you honestly think that that would of had the impact Barbaro did. This past weekend there were multiple viscious hits delivered in the NFL, that is why all the sudden there will be suspensions.

Your metaphor doesn't work, because your argument is that no one is talking about these things before a notable event happens. Which is simply not the case.

You're equating media galvanization (and the response that always comes) with general discussion. And there was plenty of discussion of those issues before the events you bring up.

What would you do to bring younger people back? The world has changed. I still see plenty of kids going to games though. I keep hearing about soccer and lacrosse and yet no one pays to see those games.

For starters, he could schedule WS games before kids have to go to bed. Instead, he and the owners are concerned only with maximizing profit now at the expense of the future of the game. Also, along with what SteveA said, he cancelled the WS in '94 and had the AS game end in a tie.

Archived