MacPhail Claims O's Had No Chance to Match Offer for VMart

Arthur_Bryant

Well, if Vmart was their top target, I assume that means no Beltre or Konerko. If so, I certainly hope we land Lee quickly. Two years, $18 million might be a nice deal if we can get it...

I don't assume that. The fact that they were willing to spend that much on Martinez tells me that they're being aggressive and willing to make a substantial commitment. I halfway expect a big push for Beltre, but that also shouldn't preclude Lee.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if Vmart was their top target, I assume that means no Beltre or Konerko. If so, I certainly hope we land Lee quickly. Two years, $18 million might be a nice deal if we can get it...

Of all our options this offseason, including ones signing FAs that might cost compensatory picks and ones that don't, including trading for other players, signing VMart was considered by our FO the best additional available to our existing talent.

What does that have to do with Beltre or Konerko?

Matching contenders bids is not going to do it for the O's this off season and MacPhail should know that. If he wanted VMart he had to be $14M per year for 4 years. He needed to beat the others by $2M a year to be considered. He didn't do that which tells me he really didn't want him that bad.

I am not going to debate if 4/56 would have been a smart bid, but it is what it would have taken for the O's to have a chance a getting VMart.

It is no surprise at all that VMart's agent did not come back to MacPhail to raise his bid. That happens all the time to the O's because they have been a last place team.

From what has been reported McPhail was honest and straightforward with Martinez and his people. It seems clear that they offered him a legitimate contract right out of the gate and then did not get the chance to increase as it said in the Sun article.

In the end Martinez wanted to be in Detroit as he decilined a high yearly salary from Chicago and multiple contracts from the Boston.

"MacPhail Claims O's Had No Chance to Match Offer for VMart"

Isn't this the same refrain from the Tex situation? Maybe someone should pick up the freakin' phone, grow a pair, develop a pulse, animate themselves, display some passion, and convince some a couple of these guys (with $$) there is a positive reason to come to Baltimore.... Winning, or at least the act of acting like we WANT to win, would go a long ways towards players WANTING to play here.

Or, we can fret over having to maybe pay Koji a million more in a an arbitration hearing than the FO thinks he's worth, and let him walk, the pick be damned.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................

"MacPhail Claims O's Had No Chance to Match Offer for VMart"

Isn't this the same refrain from the Tex situation? Maybe someone should pick up the freakin' phone, grow a pair, develop a pulse, animate themselves, display some passion, and convince some a couple of these guys (with $$) there is a positive reason to come to Baltimore.... Winning, or at least the act of acting like we WANT to win, would go a long ways towards players WANTING to play here.

Or, we can fret over having to maybe pay Koji a million more in a an arbitration hearing than the FO thinks he's worth, and let him walk, the pick be damned.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................

What do you what him to do? Send a hundred dozen roses and a boxcar load of Cristal to VMart's house? Buy billboards on every streetcorner?

They made a legit offer. VMart's agent had every chance to play a bidding game, but didn't do it, presumably because his client told him that he had what he wanted.

I'm developing a deep antipathy to MacPhail's risk aversion and caution, but I can't work up a sweat about how this was handled. If VMart had any willingness to come to Baltimore, the 4/48 would've been worth at least a chance to meet or beat the Tigers.

From what has been reported McPhail was honest and straightforward with Martinez and his people. It seems clear that they offered him a legitimate contract right out of the gate and then did not get the chance to increase as it said in the Sun article.

In the end Martinez wanted to be in Detroit as he decilined a high yearly salary from Chicago and multiple contracts from the Boston.

It was a competitive offer, but sometimes your first impression is your only impression.

Though without knowing how high the Tigers would have gone to match or if they'd have an opportunity to match any offer, it's hard to completely analyze this one.

All we know is the Orioles failed to land one of their primary offseason targets - again.

You can argue about the merits of said target, but he was their goal, and they failed to execute.

Excuses don't win games.

Sarcasm, yeah. And just pointing out that, once again, good players and FA's don't want to come here. Dollars be damned.

Well if we had offered VMart 4/60, do you honestly think he would have turned it down? Or better yet 4/68? I'm guessing the Tigers wouldn't go that far.

The Orioles offer was competitive but wasn't enough in the end to overcome his preference for Detroit. Same old song and dance...

Well if we had offered VMart 4/60, do you honestly think he would have turned it down? Or better yet 4/68? I'm guessing the Tigers wouldn't go that far.

The Orioles offer was competitive but wasn't enough in the end to overcome his preference for Detroit. Same old song and dance...

Who knows? But when someone says "no, don't bother" or doesn't give you a chance to make an offer to match what they're getting somewhere else it speaks to what they think of your organization to begin with.

Not to pick on ScottieBaseball but I'm going to anyways...

This is a SOLID offer, given out over a WEEK ago. ;)

He made the four-year, $48 million offer during a face-to-face meeting at last week's general manager meetings in Orlando, Fla., according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

VMart is not worth that much. It scares me more that he was AM's #1 target than if we're still getting turned down.

I don't believe that VMart turned down 3/48 from the White Sox. That report is just not credible.

There has to be more to this story.

It was reported repeatedly that VMart wanted to catch. The Tigers have a young catcher. The White Sox, Red Sox and Rangers have catching openings. What changed? VMart all of a sudden decides to be mainly a DH? There is more to this story IMO.

After reading this thread I've come to 2 conclusions.

1) VMart is overvalued by most people on this board.

2) A few people on this thread probably have restraining orders against them for stalking

We made a legit offer, they told us not to bother because they didn't want union pressuring them to take the highest offer. Bottom line

He got the deal he wanted, just like T-Bag did.

Archived