Bowden: O's have made significant offer to Konerko

section36

Since 2000, Lee has been worth 1 more WAR, per season(on average) than Konerko.

He has clearly been the better player and is clearly the better option right now.

And while Konerko has been around league average defensively, he had a huge dropoff last year and Lee has been GG caliber..So, to say they have both been solid defensively is underselling Lee and probably slightly overrating Konerko.

Do you think the 1 WAR advantage would be averaged out due to Lee never having played in the AL?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're all focusing on Konerko, but the reality is that AM has offers out to several players that probably include Konerko, Lee and maybe even Dunn. I suspect these all significant offers and that we will get one of these guys. I truly believe AM is "all in" on getting a big bat, but like others have mentioned, he can't control what other teams do or where the players truly want to go. All he can do is put significant money on the table, which I think he is doing. AM is doing what makes the most sense -- offer several players and hope to can reel in one of them. There's nothing to suggest he favors Konerko over Lee. He's just increasing his odds of getting an acceptable big bat.

This is going to be the summary of our off-season in my opinion. I think our franchise is at a point to where even overpaying for free agents is not going to work. We are going to have to have a decent season before we can convince free agents to come here.

This is the second time he has turned us down. Perhaps he just doesn't want to play here?

I agree its gonna be hard to convince players to come to Baltimore, but just because Konerko says "no" does not mean "nobody will come here."

It might yeah. I am not against signing Paul Konerko. I would also have to see the years and money each would want too. Let me just put it this way. I wouldn't be upset if Konerko was our OD first baseman like I would if Wigginton was.

I call this the Sammy Sosa rule.

You know there's a better route to go, but when the bases are loaded and Sosa comes up for the Orioles, you still got excited, stood and cheered. And then he struck out on a pitch in the dirt.

Konerko would be exciting. He'd give fans something to be excited about. That doesn't mean he's the man we should be after though. Our front office should be smarter than that.

Acting like Lee was significantly better is a bit of an overstatement.

Konerko 162 game avg. for his career

.280 .356 .498 .854

Lee 162 game avgs.

.282 .367 .498 .865

I mean statistically they are pretty similar players, and Konerko plays in a tougher league.

Looking at WAR:

Konerko:

2005 4.4

2006 4.0

2007 2.1

2008 1.1

2009 2.5

2010 4.2

Lee:

2005 7.6

2006 0.8

2007 3.9

2008 3.2

2009 5.2

2010 4.0

2010 2.0

Lee was at his peak in 2005, had a spike in 2009 and has declined since then.

Konerko was at his peak in 2005, declined to a low in 2008 and has actually improved since then.

Archived